• Search
  • Member List
  • Help
  • Random Thread

• TV: tv shows you've recently watched
    I just finished watching Mad Men, thanks to @Stella 1977's recommendation. I'm really glad that I watched it.

There are tons of good things about this show and many awesome characters that I absolutely love. It is extremely well-written, which is a breath of fresh air after putting up with the inept work done for GoT this year.

While the show is about ad men in New York from the fifties on, the show is really about Don Draper. Draper is the kind of anti-hero that I have always loved. He is the kind of lead character that you love to see have success — and when he fails, you feel it in your soul.

My other favorite characters, in order, are Peggy Olsen (Elisabeth Moss), Joan Harris (Christina Hendricks), and Roger Sterling (John Slattery). Peggy matures from an insecure secretary to a creative powerhouse in the seven seasons that the show ran. Similarly, Joan comes to life and rises from a secretary, to the head of the office pool, to partner, and then eventually, an account "man."

Roger, the senior partner of Sterling Cooper, never changes. Honestly, had he changed much at all, it would have felt disingenuous.

Some things of note are the effort that the show goes to capture the spirit of the times that the characters live in. Everywhere you hear men say misogynistic things about their coworkers and no one bats an eye. You get a bird's eye view of the struggles women faced every day back then, and to some extent, still today when joining the corporate world.

I'm not a spoiler, but for those who have watched shows that were good, only to be disappointed by the ending, I will say that I don't think that will be the case for this show...it certainly wasn't for me.

Everything wrapped very nicely, and while there wasn't anything truly mind-blowing, there were a couple of nice surprises.

WWW.IMDB.COM
    Mad Men (TV Series 2007–2015) - IMDb
    Created by Matthew Weiner. With Jon Hamm, Elisabeth Moss, Vincent...

6.5/10
    @Wildcard There are 7 seasons, correct? I'm torrenting season 7 now. Once that's done I'll watch this next. I was going to begin watching it when @Stella 1977 mentioned it, but I was in the middle of Breaking Bad and decided to watch Better Call Saul next. Then I kinda got burned out from binge-watching stuff.
    (06-12-2019, 08:36 AM)LZA Wrote:  @Wildcard There are 7 seasons, correct?

Yep.

(06-12-2019, 08:36 AM)LZA Wrote:  I'll watch this next.

I don't think you can go wrong with this show. I watched it from beginning to end in less than two weeks. It's that good.