• Search
  • Member List
  • Help
  • Random Thread

• gun control
    (08-05-2013, 08:19 PM)velvetfog Wrote:  Prohibitions don't work, but having urban areas where the inner city high school drop-out ghetto kids own 9 mm automatics is not the solution either.

You think if a high school kid has an automatic weapon that he/she purchased it legally? WTF

Think about what you are saying.
    I hate the thought of citizens owning guns maybe because I haven't grown up with the culture of guns in the home. If you had been brought up in a different country your views might be different we will never know.

Having said that and reading the posts over and not being provocative I came upon this and its a dam good read. I really am trying to see both sides of this argument but its difficult.

Universal gun confiscation is impossible, and even aggressive gun control might not dramatically reduce gun-related deaths. But ending our ridiculous and expensive war on drugs could.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2012/12/the-single-best-anti-gun-death-policy-ending-the-drug-war/266505/
    (This post was last modified: 08-06-2013, 08:01 AM by snilloc.)
    Wildcard liked this post
    I applaud your open mindedness snilly. I do agree that there is a cultural bias when it comes to this issue.

Fistfull of xanax
    snilloc liked this post
    In a perfect world, guns would be perfectly fine, with the proper amount of education. But with a proper education, who would need guns in this day and age?

The saying Guns don't kill people, people kill people is somewhat correct, but it's not all of it. I think it should say "guns don't kill people, uneducated desperate people kill people". Any they don't really need guns to kill either.

I think the base of a lot of these messes is lack of proper education, or more education is needed. So the gang members or criminals can realize there is more to life than thug life.

If we all had the same amount of education, we can work together to wipe out poverty, drugs, whatever...Star trek thinking, I know, but I am a fan, and I did say in a perfect world.

So education (to me) equals gun (or anything else) control.
    (This post was last modified: 08-12-2013, 07:11 AM by P3LL.)
    System Folder liked this post
    Rep ousted for not representing the people

the people have spoken!

Fistfull of xanax
    And the people have commented 1315 in this one article well worth a quick scan through.

EG.
    I'd rather live in a free state than a "secure" one. Can't have both.
    or
    Meanwhile, in Iowa, blind people can get concealed carry permits. What could possibly go wrong?
    or
    I would much rather have the blind carrying guns than the STUPID limiting the right to carry guns. Seems much more logical to me! WTF
    or
    People who buy guns should have to forfeit their right to vote! They want to live in a country devoid of personal responsibility, society demands better of its citizens.

It's all nuts to me and it's these very people who can and do have guns.
    (09-11-2013, 11:20 AM)LannisterHater Wrote:  Rep ousted for not representing the people

the people have spoken!

a loss to gun control buy an overall win for democracy

You're against guns, so this can be considered negative or a defeat. I don't really think guns are the problem, I think people are the problem, but my overall opinion is that I don't really care, so it a non issue for me. Gun enthusiats will take this as a win.

But that's not the overall win. When I see an article like this, I see that the people standing up for what they want. And the people win and oust the fuckers who'll say they'll do one thing but then do another. Thats a HUGE WIN for democracy... the subject matter (to me) is irrelevant. but I can see where people can be pissed...
    (This post was last modified: 09-11-2013, 12:42 PM by LZA.)
    I'm European, so I have to be against guns Tongue

What I don't understand is WHY you NEED to own a gun. Why do you need it? It's invented purely to kill and you start riots the moment someone suggests making them illegal.

I'm from Denmark and I wouldn't feel safe if I knew that anyone out there could own a gun from the age of 18 and in my opinion it's absolutely insane. Just the fact that you can buy a gun before you can buy a beer in the US baffles me.

And yes, you have the second amendment, but it was made in a time of war and at that time it was appropriate to allow anyone to own a gun - it isn't anymore and the gun law doesn't do ANY good.

How many school shootings do you need to experience before you understand that the gun law needs to change? Some people argue that the school shootings would take place either way because "guns don't kill, people do". No. Guns kill. There's psychopaths all over the world, but they won't be able to do the same amount of damage if they don't have access to weapons.

According to the second amendment, you even have the right to own bombs if you want to.... Come on! That's insane...

Ok, so I havn't read the rest of the thread, so many of my points may already have been represented Tongue
    (09-11-2013, 03:01 PM)adorapple Wrote:  I'm from Denmark and I wouldn't feel safe if I knew that anyone out there could own a gun

i wouldn't feel safe if people from denmark could own guns either.

the simple truth of the matter is that you are european and thus, your opinions on the internal affairs of the citizens of the united states of america don't matter. this country was founded to separate us from the unjust rule of european ideology and despite europe's continued attempts to interfere in our affairs, we've been known to put foot to ass.

your argument that second amendment was written at a time of war is invalid as the right to bear arms can and is viewed as another safe guard against a government gone out of control. if we apply your logic, then the freedom of speech is irrelevant as the first amendment was written at a time when the internet did not exist.

(09-11-2013, 12:11 PM)snilloc Wrote:  Meanwhile, in Iowa, blind people can get concealed carry permits. What could possibly go wrong?

another european... okay, here in america, we have this thing called 'freedom.'

the iowa issue: a county sheriff in iowa was able to deny a gun permit to anyone for any reason they wanted. iowa recently enacted a new law that says they will issue gun permits to anyone who may legally own or carry a weapon. when the law was written, no one anticipated a blind person from wanting to own or carry a gun and so, the law was passed.

that's the issue and it has presented another:

if we restrict the rights of the blind from owning guns, then we should obviously restrict their rights to owning cars, gardening equipment, sharp objects or anything else which can be perceived as dangerous. while we are on the topic of what other freedoms we should take away from blind people, let's also restrict the rights of old people. they walk slow, can't drive, usually can't even take care of themselves; we should in turn prohibit them from driving, owning cars, owning property, being allowed in public. etc.

now, let's look at all those WWII veterans that are now legally blind who decided to retain their service pistols as mementos and antiques: just because they are blind, should they have to give up their prized items? or maybe they have a gun collection, should they have to give those up?

it's easy to take away someone else's freedoms and tell other people how to live when it does not apply to you. the largest opponent to an american's right to own firearms are foreigners... mainly because they can't seem to mind their own business and worry about their own affairs...

...and this is why the united states should kick the united nations to the curb like a cheap trick.

"Yeah. I understand the mechanics of it, shithead. I just don't understand how this is any less retarded than what I'm suggesting." - Kiley; Housebound.
    (08-11-2013, 11:03 PM)P3LL Wrote:  In a perfect world, guns would be perfectly fine, with the proper amount of education. But with a proper education, who would need guns in this day and age?

The saying Guns don't kill people, people kill people is somewhat correct, but it's not all of it. I think it should say "guns don't kill people, uneducated desperate people kill people". Any they don't really need guns to kill either.

I think the base of a lot of these messes is lack of proper education, or more education is needed. So the gang members or criminals can realize there is more to life than thug life.

If we all had the same amount of education, we can work together to wipe out poverty, drugs, whatever...Star trek thinking, I know, but I am a fan, and I did say in a perfect world.

So education (to me) equals gun (or anything else) control.

Wiser words were never spoken...If we ALL had education

I wonder if it's not the actual gun itself or the right to OWN a gun. You know? Freedom to have and own firearms as a right, a freedom. That I'll say yes to we should be able to if we meet certain requirements.