• Search
  • Member List
  • Help
  • Random Thread

• Tech Discussion: Virtual Reality
    I am about to buy the Oculus Rift VR headset. I have my reasons for chosing this particular VR headset, but there are a few other VR systems out there for PC that look pretty nice as well.

WWW.OCULUS.COM
    Oculus Rift S
    The most advanced PC-powered VR gaming system. PC required. No...

I mainly want it for Skyrim VR! I have heard a lot of great things about it.

STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM
    Save 50% On The Elder Scrolls V:
    Skyrim VR On Steam

So, I'd love to hear any thoughts you guys might have. I'll have some real experience with it in a few days, but if you have recommendations for games, thoughts on addons, or any other VR gaming advice/perspective/discussion, I'd love to hear it.
    You'll have to let me know what you think. I told my son about Skyrim on VR and he seemed interested.

I like quick gratification games like Need For Speed, and DBZ Budokai so I can't offer an opinion on Skyrim. My son says for some reason, even though Skyrim is a better game, he likes Oblivion better.

Games like that I'm too unintelligent to show the patience for... And do you work the VR like the Nintendo Wii??? If so, I say F-that!! Too much energy. I was 250 rock hard pound of muscle when we had it and since I'm only 5'9, that thing called me OBESE!!!! JAJAJAJAJAJAJA
    Well, I got the Oculus yesterday at lunch. I literally played with the damned thing until midnight Tongue And I slept like a baby too.

First day, from delivery to actually using the headset took about three hours. Get ready to download and install about 18GB worth of software. (<8 from Oculus; AVG 6GB for VR game; 2GB Steam VR)

Once you get all of that installed, you will go through the VR headset firmware updates. The next step is defining the play area. You have a headset with sound, and two controllers.

[Image: JELpeue.jpg]

The controllers feel pretty natural right from the start. There is a trigger on the front that you press with your index finger; the side trigger that you click with your middle finger; and the buttons and analog stick that you control with your thumb.

You'll draw out your play area on the floor and then, when you are in the game, if you get close to the edge of the area, you will be warned and a wall appears.

[Image: IV85JjQ.jpg]

Then it gets nuts. Spinning

I don't want to spoil anything, but once you have it set up, the introductory video is an experience that I have dreamed of all of my life. And this is just a 3D video! It isn't even interactive. To be fair, my jaw dropped when I was still in the menu setting it up.

The menus themselves are so cool. Think of Tony Stark grabbing "screens" out of the air and moving them around. It works exactly like that!

[Image: KPpsymH.gif]

The tutorials are actually very fun. You learn how to use the controllers, which work in a very intuitive way. On the Oculus, the controllers can sense when your finger is on a button (not pressing), so you can point just by lifting your index finger off of the button.

I tried 3D modelling, where you literally sculpt with clay in the air in 3D in front of you! I will definitely be doing that again, soon. It was pretty great being able to rotate, scale, paint, and sculpt anything in real time.

Then, it was on to Skyrim VR

XD

(07-05-2019, 07:28 PM)LZA Wrote:  You'll have to let me know what you think. I told my son about Skyrim on VR and he seemed interested.

Skyrim VR is pretty much exactly what I imagined. In the days that my headset was shipping, I read a lot about it, and there is a huge modding community surrounding the game. Turns out, almost all of the normal mods work well in SVR, and there are quite a few other mods that are specific to SVR.

I'll probably be messing with it for a while. In game, there is a weird teleport movement mechanism by default. You target a location with this electric arc (think lobbing a grenade) and then move there. It was awkward and ungainly. I found that you can change it to the controllers, and then it is awesome.

[Image: P8VOKca.jpg]

This goes for VR in general, but especially for Skyrim VR. Do not get VR if you want to sit at a desk and play games. This is a stand up in the middle of the floor and move a lot, type of thing. When you fight, you literally swing the sword; draw the bow; and loose the arrow. To be honest, it is exhilarating.

There were technical issue with SVR. I had to restart the game several times, and for quite a long time, my character was stuck in the floor walking around under everyone. I was warned in advance that SVR is a port of Skyrim for VR — not a made-for-VR game...and it shows.

So, @LZA, I don't think I'd say rush out and buy it. The true TES fan will eventually have to have it, but just wait till it's on sale.

As to the Oculus Rift, I am overwhelmed. My jaw literally dropped for the first time since I was a child. Walking around in and interacting with a realistic, virtual world has been a dream of mine, ever since I saw Lawnmower Man, and now it is real. Pick up an object and throw it. Play ping pong with your "hand" and whatever you see lying around. I wish I could find the words to describe the feeling of wonderment I had, like a kid at Christmas.

Worth every penny.
    Plenty O’Toole liked this post