• Search
  • Member List
  • Help
  • Random Thread

• Russia to Ban the Word 'Gay'
    i think texas is pretty progressive when it comes to personal freedoms... but they've had 200 years to work on it. russia, well, they are still kind of new at this and to be honest, it's makes sense that they don't want their kids to be exposed to the lgbt community at a young, influential age.

currently, there have been a few cases where children in the united states feel that they have been unfairly assigned the wrong gender at birth and instead of counseling the child, they patronize them and end up improperly reinforcing what might just be their unique way of exploring sexuality.

tomboys - for example - are girls that don't necessarily believe they are boys, but have a similar mentality. it used to be the case that they were simply enjoying their childhood or going through a phase which they would grow out of. now, that's not the case. the 'tom boys' are being classified as transgendered adolescents.

a recent discrimination law suit against a school district has pretty much set in motion a weird new policy that may go country wide: http://www.opposingviews.com/i/debate/tr...rimination

students that feel they were 'assigned' the wrong sex at birth may now use whatever restroom they choose.

keep in mind, that the student was not being forced to use the restroom designated for her biological gender, she was allowed to use the staff restroom because that is what was fair to the other students. keeping that in mind, maybe russia is taking the right stance: the lgbt community viewed the ruling as a victory but maybe it's best to let kids be kids and stop using them as pawns to force a complex social issue into their short adolescent years.

"Yeah. I understand the mechanics of it, shithead. I just don't understand how this is any less retarded than what I'm suggesting." - Kiley; Housebound.
    The English speaking world has had 800 years of the development of laws since the Magna Carta was issued in 1215.
    The Magna Carta limited the power of the king (i.e. the state) over the people.
    In Russia, they haven't even gotten to the point of the Magna Carta yet.
    The Russians have written several constitutions, but in reality it still boils down to that the occupant of the Kremlin can do as he pleases.
    Russia, as it exists today, is not all that different from the old Soviet Union.
    It is still ruled by a nomenklatura.

Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.
    - Robert A. Heinlein