• Search
  • Member List
  • Help
  • Random Thread

• Music Rap Timeline
    I was just sitting around at work today thinking about how I was introduced to hip hop and rap, and then I started wondering how others were introduced. Finding out about gangsta rap isn't like anything else in the world. I had heard Run D.M.C. and they were a step above rapping cartoons. I'm not trying to represent the whole world, but to me, rap was always a little corny before I heard some gangsta shit.

My cousin always had better music than I did, so he originally gave me a Bone CD at church and I had to wait until that night before I could listen to it. It was jarring, to say the least.

I was from a strict Christian upbringing and songs like Mr. Ouija had a little redneck, church boy like whu-? The next track is Thuggish Ruggish Bone, though Tongue I loved it.  

The other CD he brought me was Doggystyle. My conscience was clear when I listened to this album Big Grin Mostly because I didn't understand half of the terms they were using lol It took me years to decipher the lingo...

[Image: coverpic-6044.png]

So, were you down from day one? This is the place to share your rap timeline.
    LZA liked this post
    When I was first exposed to rap, I didn't like it. I was old enough to be there for the beginning. 7th grade one of the first songs I liked was The Message, by Grandmaster Flash. I never liked Rapper's Delight since I thought words like "hippy hoppy" and rhyming about spaghetti to me were lame, so I never really got into it that much.

Fast forward to 9th Grade, the 1st album I got that made me love rap was LL Cool J's Bigger and Deffer. Those were actual songs I got into. He rapped actual words and the beats were hard. That cassette made me want to buy more rap, which is more that Grandmaster Flash did for me. The more I dug into it, the more I knew I loved it.

Eric B and Rakim, BDP were awesome, but what blew my mind was Kool G Rap. When I heard Road to the Riches I knew rap could be something much more than it was at the time. I think if G rap came out before Rakim/BDP, he'd be just as popular. One thing, Rakim/BDP has clear, slower deliveries, where G rap was complex and he had a lisp.

I also remember buying Eazy E's album before NWA came out. Eazy was my favorite rapper for a while and thinking that NWA couldn't be any better, then Straight Outta Compton came out. As far as gangsta rap, before NWA, I had purchased Power, by Ice-T (whom I learned about from the song Colors). Then the rest is history... Public Enemy's fight the power was the 1st album I bought with my paycheck from work. The others I would record from friends.

Since you mention Gansta rap, I think the first actual Gangsta rapper was Schooly D. I remember getting his albums too. Back then, there really weren't any bad rap albums. Kinda of a shame what it turned into.
    (06-12-2019, 08:09 AM)LZA Wrote:  Kinda of a shame what it turned into.

I don't want to descend into that conversation, but I agree. Sad indeed.

Your story resonated with me when you talk about not being a fan at first. When I heard some of the older hip hop, it was just so stale and hokey. Guys like Too $hort were cool and funny, but Grand Master Flash, as much as some of my rap heroes seem to admire the work, was not for me.
    It was more of a original style that a particular group or time. Whoodini, Sugar Hill Gang, Mele Mel, Fat boys, etc. Was part of the culture that really meant nothing to me.

People like Cool J were around the same time, but he was different. Even Run DMC started off the old style but adapted to the times. Not so much the rhymes as much as beats. Incorporating rock music made them better than the original...MC Shan was an older style rapper that adapted and was always cool. I credit him for making KRS-1 relevant.

There have been a few trendsetters. The first being Rakim. I tribute him in killing the old (just rhyme but say nothing) type of delivery. A group I LOVE but may be underrated as a trendsetter is EPMD. They were the first awesome group with solid rapping skills delivered in a funky manner. Before them, I haven't heard that type of rhyming. Another rapper right out of the gate was Big Daddy Kane. Smooth, funky and lyrically untouchable.

NWA changes the game for gangster rap, and even when they broke apart, the solo careers were still epic. Ice Cube is one of my all-time favorite rappers. Since you mention ganster rap specifically, we have to give praise to the D.O.C. He could have been as big as the rest if it wasn't for that car accident.

I guess what I'm trying to say was the good rap was more of a style than it was of a time. Since some of the older guys were able to adapt. Pretty much rap took off when Rakim started.

LOL, Life Is Too Short is one of the classics. I can listen to that today and love it as much.
    You're gonna make me go download some Rakim. Outside of some guest spots on other people's songs, I don't think I've ever given his music a proper listen.

Suggestions? @LZA (I guess I'm off topic, but fuck it.)
    It's about rap and what specifically sparked our interest, so it may be on topic even if it isn't presented in the OPs layout... What do I know about being on topic though, LOL

Pretty much the whole Paid In Full album is awesome. Songs like: I know you got soul, My Melody and I ain't no joke are my favorites. What I like to do is listen to a crap rap song from that era, with the hip hop hippy hip hip hop and you donnnnt stop lyrics then pop in a song here just to relive the change in style. Songs on that album are still better than soe shit today.

2nd album Follow the leader is just as good. I'd check out : Follow the leader Lyrics of Fury and the most popular one, Microphone Feind is cool but kinda slow for me.

Let the Rhythm hit em is the 3rd album, which I really liked, but not as popular. I think after that he broke from Eric B and was not the same. The 3rd album to me is cool though.

Here is the title song from the album:

F-in SICK

"blood pressure rises as you damn near lost it, ht the ground burnin and woke up frost bit".

with knowledge of self there's nothin I can't solve
    at 360 degrees I revolve,
    It's an actual FACT, it's not an act it's been provin
    INDEED as I proceed to make the crowd keep movin"

released 1987
    (This post was last modified: 06-12-2019, 07:05 PM by LZA.)
    @LZA it was late when I saw this, but I will listen some time today when I get a chance. Thanks for your response.