• Search
  • Member List
  • Help
  • Random Thread

• Discussion: Pre Internet vs Post Internet
    (06-30-2019, 05:32 PM)Stella 1977 Wrote:  @Wildcard I am appalled when I am out in public, and I see YOUNG kids...like ages 4 through 10, playing with the current galaxy phones. Their eyes never leave their phones to even look at the world around them.

I know this may come off as sarcastic, but I am genuinely interested in why this bothers you.

I hear quite a few people say things like this and how much it gets under their skin, but, for the life of me, I can't figure out why it would bother someone. If someone was sitting quietly, reading a book, no one would be complaining. What is the real difference?

I work in construction, and any time that we are down (waiting for something to happen, so that we can go to work) every guy on my crew is glued to his phone. Some of them are playing games, some of them are looking at Tinder, Facebook, etc. There is a lot of someone's phone being passed around so that everybody can laugh at the video of the guy falling for three minutes on the slippery ice. It is all in fun. And, while it might seem counter-intuitive, there is a certain comradery to it.

I'd like to hear your perspective, @Stella 1977 .
    Plenty O’Toole liked this post
    It really depends on what kids are looking at/doing on the phones. If they’re on Insta arranging a #NoPJsSleepover at Jeffrey Epstein’s house, that’s obviously bad. But they could be playing educational games or reading, for all you know. Even if they are just watching a penguin fall down on YouTube tho, so what?

Since the beginning of time kids have found better things to do than sitting around with their thumbs up their arses looking at trees. “Bo, you put down that damned infernal hoop-and-stick and you look at that tree! Kids these days...”
    (This post was last modified: 07-19-2019, 07:55 AM by Plenty O’Toole.)
    Wildcard and LZA liked this post
    (07-19-2019, 07:52 AM)Plenty O’Toole Wrote:  “Bo, you put down that damned infernal hoop-and-stick and you look at that tree! Kids these days...”

Your post is chock full of chuckles! +1
    Plenty O’Toole liked this post
    (07-19-2019, 07:52 AM)Plenty O’Toole Wrote:  Since the beginning of time kids have found better things to do than sitting around with their thumbs up their arses looking at trees. “Bo, you put down that damned infernal hoop-and-stick and you look at that tree! Kids these days...”

Good way to put things back in perspective...

Ya, it's all about what you are doing... If you are actively learning, then technology is a godsend. If you are passively looking for ways to kill time, it's sad that the phones take all the creativity out of it.

The hoop and stick times allowed you to use your imagination to figure out what they can be... Using phones takes away the mental exercise of figuring things out...

Kids these days may not have the creative ability to think outside of the box... If it's not on an app, it may not be in their head.

Personally, I remember fondly the time of adventure without all that crap, and I feel sorry that they don't have it to experience as much... I may be wrong though...But it's kinda sad to think of what they are missing, and that they'll never know...

Just my 465.31 Vietnamese Dongs...