• Search
  • Member List
  • Help
  • Random Thread

• Discussion Pre Internet vs Post Internet
    I can appreciate life without internet and life with it because i have lived through both. But I wouldn't trade being a kid in the era i grew up in. These kids with smartphones are ridiculous. Too much these days hinges on all the technological advances. I find it so rude that I can be having a conversation with someone and they are playing on their device. I miss the little moments that happen when your bored and coming up with things to do. I think that is why creativity is gone. It wasn't that long ago "internet" was something you did for like 40 min or an hour. Then you lived life. It was an activity. Now it is a way of life. People are on the internet 24-7. Constant information coming at you. Constant negativity. What I see is that very few people have the ability to keep some sort of balance in this matter. I even have a hard time doing it myself, contemplating doing away with my smartphone. The young generation doesn't even know what pre-internet was like.

The internet took all the mystery out of life. I remember going to the mall to see boys. People don't really communicate within the family as much as we used to, people waking down the street don't communicate with each other at all, people used to greet others with a hello, good morning or whatever, now if you were to do that they would look at you as if you have two fucking heads or something and that is if they even bothered to acknowledge you.  We can speak to someone across the world via video but we can no longer speak to the person next to us because that safety net of a screen isn't there, there is so much falseness being shoved in our faces people start thinking it's the norm, people who live out their lives on social media showing everything they do or eat or wear have some serious  issues in my opinion, some kids will believe some stranger they think they know on YouTube before their own family. And young girls are growing up with the attitude that they are supposed to be gay. That it's the norm.   I don't see many gay men here in this community but lesbian women are everywhere.

My daughter likes to stay in her room and text, listen to music, go on the computer and hang in her room. She comes down and we'll talk for like 10 minutes then back up to her room. I ask her if she wants to watch a movie with us and she says no. I've asked her if she is sad, etc and she says she is fine. She just likes to hang in her room. She is addicted to her goddamn phone.

But there are some good things about the internet. Without the internet I wouldn't have the ability to ever hear things from great people like you https://www.rantcentralforums.com/User-LZA.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRnHbkd...TCH86BDNnQ
    Ya, I used to remember the life without internet as being more simplistic, but not really a simpler life... Take driving, for instance, I'm glad I know how to use a map but would take a GPS any day.

I do agree life was more personable and interactive, and people needed to tap into their creativity part of the brain more in an active way, rather than passively staring at a phone...

As you said, people can't even pretend to pay attention when you are trying to talk without checking their phone... I make sure I turn it off or silence it in some instances.

I was the type when I was growing up, that if I wasn't playing outside, I was still watching TV, or even more so, when the Commodore 64 came out, I was holed up playing games all day. My parents were kind of pissed. But I was more of an introvert who liked doing shit like that... Even my stepson didn't have internet for a good part of his growing up but he did have an Xbox360 and a PS2... So it was kinda rough getting him off it (since I was the same way growing up), but when the internet finally arrived, it was like people turned into zombies...

I'm with you as far as also having trouble leaving it alone at times... I'd RATHER get a text that I can read and prepare a response for than a random call. People just showing up is a thing of the past... If I don't know you are coming I don't answer the door if someone knocks... And if you do call, you better leave a message if you want me to contact you back. So while I agree with you about it taking over life, I also agree, that I've allowed it to also take over my life... LOL, a good thing for you is if a lesbian tries to talk to you, you can pretend to look at your phone... I've done that to people I wanted to avoid...

The last girlfriend I broke up with was a face to face thing, while my stepson just sent a text... I kinda got into him about it since it's so impersonal with someone you tried to have a relationship with, but he says a lot of people do it... Also to your point... Online dating... I've never used it but people need the internet to get married now... Another downfall for my son is that all jobs take resumes online only... I would at least hand deliver mine and talk to people... How can you set yourself as an individual if you are a collection of electronic bits on a computer???

What's that saying?  “I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots.” They say it was Einstein who said that but another thing about the internet is that not everything you read is 100% true...

People's Facebook accounts show happiness and love, but IRL they are on the verge of divorce... One thing I will disagree with you on, if it wasn't for the internet, I wouldn't know what more than half of my family was up to... Easier to update a status than to pick up a phone to actually TALK...

The internet culture is fake. Like you said, Instagram or Youtube models, people on Twitter, or whatever media is really a tool for the extreme left to push their communist agendas... While males are evil, blah blah blah. If you call BS on the person who has been a man all his life but now identifies as a woman to break records and YOU are the asshole. In some cases, that shit can get you into legal trouble... So the difference between video games, music, and TV, the internet is become a juggernaut in changing culture... I feel bad for kids now... I know this is off topic, but the "fat is beautiful and healthy" trend is another thing that makes the internet evil. 

As far as your daughter... She's just a typical kid... Most don't like to talk to parents at a certain age anyway. I did that to my parents as you have done that to yours I'm sure... As long as she realizes what she's dealing with and puts it in its proper perspective. When My son accidentally erased his WoW account he flipped his shit since he built up his character... He laughs about it now but I took exception as to how he acted when his game fucked up, telling him to grow up... Funny, I guess that's when I officially became a hypocrite since I used to smash my joysticks when I'd fuck up on games (when they were joysticks and not controllers)...

BUt there a lot of people I never would have met either... Music I wouldn't realize... Books and movies I would be unaware... I think like everything, there should be a balance between real and online life

PS: Great people like me??? Awww.... Wub YouWub You  I wonder if your real life status and mine would have collided before this though... Meaning, if there was no internet and we knew each other would you think I'm a goof and not pay me the time of day, or I would be too intimidated to even talk to you? Some peopl on my FB friend list I never spoke to in highschool (some I never knew). So while internet may take away some life experiences, I feel in other cases it a platform to meet and talk to those you never would otherwise...
    Stella 1977 and Wildcard liked this post
    https://www.rantcentralforums.com/User-LZA We got the rare experience of living in both times. People actually talk more on texting and Facebook now rather than in person or over the phone. It's so sad. Some people won’t even answer their phone but yet they’ll always respond on text. My one friend claims she can text faster than she talks. You wonder if 20 years from now if people will talk even less and less due to how much farther technology will go. People are going to get carpel tunnel from using their fingers and thumbs to text and also next problems from looking down at their phones so much.
    You are 100% correct that the Internet has changed everything. And I even agree that there are definite negatives that come along with that change, but I don't agree that it is all negative.

When I was coming up, we didn't have cell phones. I got my first phone when I was around twenty years old. As a child, I played in the woods; rode my bike; and played backyard sports with the kids that lived near me. But, I also sat in front of the computer for as much time as my mom would allow. In fact, if they ever left me there alone, I would stay in front of it the entire time that they were gone.

But, there was no Internet. My dad and I helped run a BBS (Bulletin Board System), which is a very localized version of the Internet. Mostly my dad, but I got to go through the uploads and look for something that broke the rules (OMG I am such a nerd) Anyway, even without the 'net, I was always drawn to technology.

@LZA, it is amazing how much of your post is in unison with my own thoughts. I have become the guy that lives and dies by his phone at work, but at home, I pray to God that it doesn't ring. As a matter of fact, I am filled with dread when it does...probably someone calling who will ruin my free time...

Also, @LZA, spot on about unexpected visits. Fuck that. If you want to see me, you will call first and if you don't receive a response, but show up anyway, it had better be a Defcon 4 situation.

@Stella 1977: A lot of what you say is true, but some of it is just the times. It doesn't bother me in any way when someone uses their phone while we are hanging out. Even if I am in the middle of talking to them, I understand because I have to do it, myself.

My job, thankfully, doesn't contact me too much after work, but if they do, it is generally something important. If I am talking to someone and I get a notification, I am 100% going to look at it while listening to them. If it is important, I will politely look at them while I am waiting for them to finish, deftly flipping my phone to horizontal mode and perching my thumbs in position. As soon as I find a good spot, I interject something and then go to my phone.

Then, I usually bitch about work and reengage with that person. Almost everyone that I know below the age of fifty does that. Sometimes when things change, it is very hard to let go of your reticence, but to use a tired old cliche, you just have to go with the current instead of fighting it.
    Stella 1977 and LZA liked this post
    @Wildcard I never said that it is all negative.But from what I can figure out the youth don't even spend their time watching good stuff online about the world, animals, history, music, movies, tv shows etc, they want to see "reality TV stars" & total trash like that. Just look at that show Love Island & that is what the Internet has done to a whole generation, these people are borderline retarded I swear to God. The thing that drive me insane is people taking photos of their food when a good 1/3rd of the world has hardly anything to eat so they can post it on Instagram. Even the freedom to do as we pleased. I went outside without any knowledge of where I was or what I was doing by my parents as long as I was home for dinner. Now we are almost micro managed.
    @Wildcard Leaving the house to get an actual, physical CD on release day was always such a great experience. I'd be so excited to get home and play it with no distractions while laying on my bed. I remember when I first started driving, how I'd literally fill a Saturday driving all around hitting used book and CD stores. Now, you can download a torrent of a band's entire back catalogue, including rarities, b-sides, fanclub releases, etc., and have it in minutes., and for free.
    Mix tapes. The younger generation can't really appreciate what a significant gesture making a mix tape used to be. Today? Everyone sees the Awesome mix (or whatever) from GotG, they google what songs compose it, and in 4 minutes you have every one of those songs. Back in the day, there was no internet to look up each one of those songs...and then even after you did manage to put together your play list, you needed to meticulously record each and every one of those songs to a tape (making sure you had enough time on each side of the tape, too).

It was a long and difficult process, and if someone ever gave you a mix tape, it was clear that they really cared about you. Anyone around my age (or older) can remember with nostalgia the process of putting together a mix tape. It was even more work when you didn't own the song you wanted on CD or tape and had to wait by the radio until they played it and hope the DJ didn't talk too much over the intro. A real labor of love.
    I remember spending nights by the radio with my index fingers eagerly twitching against the "play" and "record" buttons just waiting for the opportunity to get that one song I've been waiting for. I also remember the frustration that would sometimes occur when I wouldn't correctly calculate the times for all the songs and would be in the middle of recording my perfect playlist when ::CLICK!:: the tape just ended because I ran out of room.

I look back on those times fondly. When you wondered about something and didn't know the answer, it became a quest. It might have taken days, weeks, or even years. And then, finally, when you learned that Meat Loaf's real name was Michael, it was like opening the briefcase from Pulp Fiction. Then you'd go around dropping that random tidbit into conversations for the next year, just because.
    My friends and I in middle school and high school used to talk on the phone all the time. We could spend 2 hours on the phone and giggling over stuff.

When my crush would call, I'd be forced to have an actual conversation with him. There's no time to think hard about your next response, as it is now with texting.

Nowadays kids may pretend to be witty over the internet/texting, but in my time if you weren't that funny, there was nothing you could do.
    LZA liked this post
    @Wildcard Man... Back then BBS's were my life!! There was a place called Piper's Pit and Milliways I used to upload the game Camelot Warrior to so I can gain download points to get the latest cracked games!! HAHAHA Even before "LZA" Was born, I was getting banned from BBS's under the moniker "Mike Tyson". back in the 80s... That's also where I learned phreak codes to dial up BBS's outside the local calling area.
    @System Folder and I discussed that before! Also. Getting angry that the BBS had a busy signal and having to wait until the last user gets off... That was the first internet community without the internet... I also remember thinking I was a god progressing from a 300 to a 1200 baud modem!!!

@Stella 1977 I'm 5 years older than you... I remember my 1st job after I got a car going to Strawberries Records and Tapes, and purchasing my first cassette earned with my paycheck... The Do the Right Thing soundtrack. I remember not converting directly to CDs when they came out... What a PITA trying to rewind/fast-forward songs while driving... I felt like a champ when I'd stop it right at the beginning of the song I wanted!

And as far as mixtapes... One of my first girlfriends gave e one and Every time I hear a song on it, I remember it fondly. What pissed me off is when a song I wanted FINALLY came on the radio, not starting it right away, or the damn DJ talking over the music.

The good think about the internet is, all the stuff I remembered back then I can relive after a Google search. Old TV shows, music, even old Commodore 64 games... They have emulators now.

I wonder how much technology will increase. Even now... Facebook is considered the old man platform... All the kids are on Instagram... There are some apps I don't even know.

Even things like email change the face of the mail forever... Paying bills, etc... I don't think I've mailed a letter in years...
    Stella 1977 and Wildcard liked this post
    @LZA When I was 15 (1992) I paid £16 in a Virgin Megastore for the Point Break soundtrack, just for this song (there were a couple others on there that were ok too, luckily). Imagine trying to explain that to a 15 year old today! Ratt and Point Break . One of the last songs of a great generation .

(This post was last modified: 06-30-2019, 11:58 AM by Stella 1977.)
    @Wildcard I am appalled when I am out in public, and I see YOUNG kids...like ages 4 through 10, playing with the current galaxy phones. Their eyes never leave their phones to even look at the world around them.

When I grew up, there were no cell phones. It was "be home before dark."
    @LZA Do you remember? It was fun with out internet and cellphones. Things were much simpler.
    We managed to have social lives without cell phones.

We waited and called someone back when we got home. Or you went and knocked on someone's door to see if they were home. The rule of "be home before the sun goes down/streetlights come on" was the best rule. Your parents didn't care what happened as long as you were home by then. Going outside completely unsupervised, having to actually think and figure things out as opposed to googling everything. Oh, and walking to school was a blast. Being at home meant eating, doing homework, watching some TV, and sleeping. I'd say it was a lot better than staring into a screen for 8 hours a day.
    LZA liked this post
    (06-30-2019, 11:58 AM)Stella 1977 Wrote:  @LZA  When I was 15 (1992) I paid £16 in a Virgin Megastore for the Point Break soundtrack, just for this song (there were a couple others on there that were ok too, luckily). Imagine trying to explain that to a 15 year old today! Ratt and Point Break . One of the last songs of a great generation .

We never had Virgin megastores here in Connecticut. Mainly Strawberries and mom and pop stores here... You had to go to the mall for Sam Goody.

Also, Remember "Be Kind, re-wind"? at the video stores, we used to rent shit before streaming sites like Netflix and Hulu? I kind of miss those stores TBH... Having to wait for a copy of the new movies since they were all rented out...

PS: I still never seen Point Break...

(06-30-2019, 05:32 PM)Stella 1977 Wrote:  @Wildcard I am appalled when I am out in public, and I see YOUNG kids...like ages 4 through 10, playing with the current galaxy phones. Their eyes never leave their phones to even look at the world around them.

When I grew up, there were no cell phones. It was "be home before dark."

I've seen that too. Phones became the new babysitters...'

(06-30-2019, 05:32 PM)Stella 1977 Wrote:  @LZA  Do you remember? It was fun with out internet and cellphones. Things were much simpler.
    We managed to have social lives without cell phones.

We waited and called someone back when we got home. Or you went and knocked on someone's door to see if they were home. The rule of "be home before the sun goes down/streetlights come on" was the best rule. Your parents didn't care what happened as long as you were home by then. Going outside completely unsupervised, having to actually think and figure things out as opposed to googling everything. Oh, and walking to school was a blast. Being at home meant eating, doing homework, watching some TV, and sleeping. I'd say it was a lot better than staring into a screen for 8 hours a day.

I don't think I'd have it any other way growing up... We didn't know what we were missing since it wasn't invented yet... For school reports, we'd need the encyclopedia set out parents had that was well outdated. I also remember going to the library for stuff... Now the wealth of knowledge on the internet is bigger than any library... If you need a book, Amazon is there if you can't find it on TPB... Even the fun of going to the library to get kicked out for being jerks is lost nowadays, since why bother going... I have been to the library a few years ago when I was, ah, erm... between houses with computers, and 90% of the people were at the computer stations... 1 guy I'd see reading an actual book...

As a kid, I'd never want the internet, but at my age... I don't want to live without it... Even my excerciseplan I'm trying to relaunch... The weights are the actual only physical thing. NOw, the diet and excercise tips, are online, I downloaded DDP Yoga and now track my food on My Fitness pal. Before the internet I'd by Flex, Muscle and fitness etc to try to get ideas...