• Search
  • Member List
  • Help
  • Random Thread

• Rant Please No Spoiler Alerts
    This is one thing that really gets on my nerves. I don't know that it should get on my nerves so much, but it does.

First, let me explain some things that a lot of people do not seem to get. "Spoiler" is a term that can be used in a few different ways. We use them here to mean a way to hide some content so that the user has to perform an extra action to see the content.

see answer
    answer
    [Image: 6171.png]

It isn't a coincidence that we use "button spoilers" like the one above to hide "plot spoilers" for movies, books, games, etc.

A plot spoiler is where you give away details that could ruin the movie for others. So, we put the plot spoiler inside a button spoiler so that people can choose whether or not they want to view the information.

A "spoiler alert" is a courtesy used in recorded media to warn people about an upcoming plot spoiler in their content. Since there is no way to exclude those that don't wish to see the plot spoiler, a warning is all that can be done. The user then decides whether to keep watching or come back after they have digested the entire film/book/game.

To the point.

When people say, "Please, no spoiler alerts!" I find this to be the most ignorant thing in the world. They are literally giving the other person permission to spoil the plot, and asking them to do so without warning. Of course, they mean "Please, no spoilers!" but the brain dead masses can't even be assed to familiarize themselves with the phrasing so that they understand the words that are coming out of their mouth.

We all say dumb shit, from time to time. I have pronounced words wrong for a long time before I heard someone say it aloud and realized that I was doing it wrong. We can all have brain farts, but this particular mass idiocy burns my ass. Just fucking Google it once and you can see that anyone who says "no spoiler alerts" is willfully ignorant.

So, for the love of cheesecake, if you hear/read someone using this moronic phrasing, take the time to call them out. Do it for me. Do it for all of us. Do it for your sanity. Whatever you do, please, no spoiler alerts. Dodgy
    LZA liked this post
    I know you said you were sick. What is you temperature? LOLOL Either that or maybe the Covid/quarantine is making you stir crazy.

Seriously though, It never occurred to me. I've had quirky things bother me too. What you are saying makes sense. I hate when people say "PIN number" in effect, they are saying Personal Identification number number, so I get it.  One thing I know, it will not stop

spolier
    Luke is Darth Vader's son, And Bruce Willis was DEAD the whole time!!!