• Search
  • Member List
  • Help
  • Random Thread

• Over Zealous
    I hate over-zealous people... I don't get where this need to convert everyone to their way of thinking comes from. I know some people mean well, and they simply want you to be as happy and fulfilled as they are, but if being happy means being a patronising twat, then I'd rather be a miserable grumpy bugger.

My first job after leaving school was working in a restaurant, where I had a catholic boss from Poland. One day he asked me about my religious beliefs, so I told him that I had none, and didn't believe in god. He actually considered sacking me for it! "I don't know whether I can continue to employ someone who doesn't believe in god, you're probably cursed because of that." I was utterly gobsmacked hearing his primitive bullshit, we ended up arguing, I stormed out, and told him I had just cursed him for being so arrogant and close-minded. "Pah!" he shouted to me, "You're the one who's cursed!" Within a month, his business went into liquidation, his wife died, and he had to go back to his native country as he could no longer afford to live in Britain. It seems petty, childish, and even nasty, but I took great delight in ringing him up simply to say 'told you, you fuck,' put the phone down and never heard from him again.

System Folder - I think it's so cool that you're an ordained minister... and totally hilarious. XD

Comparing religion to dandruff..... LMAO
    “Anything beyond the limits and grasp of the human mind is either illusion or futility; and because your god having to be one or the other of the two, in the first instance I should be mad to believe in him, and in the second a fool.”
    ― Marquis de Sade

BTW Spud, please don't ever get mad at me! Sheesh!
    As long as humans feel a need to belong there will always be social categorization, that serves to segregate and alienate. I say, props to anyone who think that they are their religious, philosophical, social, political, economical, or environmental believes, their racial, national, educational, or professional status, their workout, sports team, favorite television show, music genre, or brand new clothes or iPhone they buy, because they get to live life in blissful ignorance.
    I hear what you are saying Spudgun, I don't really mind zealous people, in fact I often appreciate them ... they're so full of passion (as long as they're not hurting someone)
    They've found God and are so ecstatic about eternal life or whatever and want to share it with loved ones or anyone. New believers are especially zealous about their new found faith.
    Vegetarians want everyone to be healthier and spare the useless slaughter of another form of being.
    Naturalist want to save the world ... our home from further destruction.
    Zealous political people actually annoy me the most ... they actually believe the Gov't gives a shit.
    While these types of people can become extreme, arrogant and very closed minded ... in their hearts they do mean well and only wish for the betterment of family and friends.
    What I do hate is confrontation, so generally I'll slightly appease these types of folks without abandoning my own beliefs.
    (This post was last modified: 04-07-2013, 08:48 PM by kath3.)

You Give To The World When You Give Your Best To Somebody Else Hug
    Wildcard liked this post
    (11-28-2011, 03:48 PM)Mark Wrote:  Most people are big babies and have never had an original thought in their entire life.

We've had that discussion before. Which is why there is so much of a "push" from other people on these beliefs. I don't like people forcing their ideas on other people but, on the other hand, people who criticize other peoples beliefs have no room to gripe either. Don't dish it out if you can't take it. People are stupid, simple and afraid. The most dangerous thing in the world is a person with a belief. Others will follow because they have not,will not, ever think for themselves. No disease, weapon or idea has caused more death in the world's history than organized religion

I am a Christian by the way.
    (This post was last modified: 04-13-2013, 09:32 AM by LannisterHater.)

Fistfull of xanax
    Wildcard liked this post
    I agree with everyone here. All points made are solid.

Me, being agnostic, am into listening to all beliefs, but I personally think that all religons are morphed from the same thing, and we are all the same. The best way I can describe it is, let's say you put 5 people on a street, and ask them to describe a man they see walking. One will say, "he's wearing a hat", the other will say "he's tall" So on. Different descriptions of the same thing. I use "a man" in my example because religion is based on different men "Christ, Allah, etc". I believe it's more of an energy (for lack of a better way to describe it) that we return to. Organized religion was written my man, mainly to be self sustaining.

That being said, if someone really find comfort in finding Jesus, by all means go ahead. But I truly feel sorry for those trying to live a life of fear by absurd standards because "you shall not do whatever nonsense they consider a sin". For those that can donate more money, by all means do so. If it gives you a feeling of fulfillment, then good for you, I'm happy. But don't make those that can't give feel bad about not being able to do so, or worse, calling it a sin. I actually HATE organized religion for that reason (among others) .

Also, it's when they think "they have found the answer" in Jesus or whatever, and they start pushing their beliefs on others. I'm an open minded guy, buy that is an INSTANT turnoff. INSTANT!
    (This post was last modified: 05-29-2013, 08:35 PM by LZA.)