• Search
  • Member List
  • Help
  • Random Thread

• Occupy Groups
    Leanne is my hero tonight - AMEN AMEN.

before WWII the US govt was the world's largest lender - today we are the largest borrower - something wrong with that. It's not the individual corporations and banks that are the problem - it's the world bank - every country should pull the fuck out - the GOVT machine itself, and people who think there is such a thing as "free", i.e. free health care, free food, free education, etc.
    (11-29-2011, 02:31 PM)Leanne Wrote:  The couple of groups in Australia were the usual serial protestors, the great unwashed masses of people with nothing better to do than whinge about how the corporations are ruining the world... they're happy to take the corporate tax dollars though, to fund their bludging. At the end of the day, although it's fashionable to bitch about the big boys and their greed, a lot of this is about avoiding personal responsibility for your lot in life. If you spend more than you earn, you're going to be in trouble sooner or later -- and there are plenty of governments around the world who should take note of that also.

I have no money because I'm crap at managing money. I would rather spend it now than invest it for later. That's my choice, not the fault of some nebulous nasty.
    Leanne,
    It's also fashionable from the other side to belittle the people who are serious about the state of the world & the injustices that have been applied to the societies through corporate monies buying off the politicians.
    I was very active in the Occupy LA protest's & granted there were a lot of idiot's in the fold, there were also several revolutionaries who believed in the core message which was/is:
    Quote:Occupy Wall Street is leaderless resistance movement with people of many colors, genders and political persuasions. The one thing we all have in common is that We Are The 99% that will no longer tolerate the greed and corruption of the 1%
    As for your criticism of us:
    Quote:avoiding personal responsibility for your lot in life. If you spend more than you earn, you're going to be in trouble sooner or later
    I was able to live on the meager unemployment payment's made to me, of which I paid into for close to 30 years, of about 22% of my usual earning's, for a year, then the remainder of my savings this past 14 months. I'm not alone here either. To compound my & several millions of other's problems, the monies we had invested, me personally for the past 24 years close to $200,000 US, was also lost. I lost 85% of mine then pulled out the last 15% only to lose 31% of that to taxes.
    So Leanne, say what you will, believe what Rupert & the rest of the Profit oriented news organization's tell you, as it doesn't really matter to me, but there are some who would consider your thinking as ignorant, not stupid as there is a difference. I would just recommend you pull your head out of the sand & do some real research without a biased opinion of what your looking for in the truth.
    Good Luck to you.
    BTW, I was a Project Manager & Superintendent working for private contractors as well as myself on Government project's, schools, police department's, prison system, fire station's, & several other government building's. The government has no money, the private sector has no money, the bank's will not loan money to start up much needed project's, homes are being foreclosed upon not bought so no work there either. What do you suggest me & the several other hundreds of thousands of construction employees in California do? Do I throw away my 4 years of college & several refresher courses, as well as all my experience? Maybe open a restaurant, work at McDonald's or Wall Mart, sell crafts on eBay, rob a bank, what? And no, not all of us spent our lives mismanaging our bank account's.
    I will overlook the fact that you make an excessively ignorant personal attack based on posts in a rant forum, where one is entitled to air an opinion that need not be a researched and footnoted essay, to simply point out two facts:

(1) I prefaced my comment with "in Australia", based not on News Limited propaganda but my own immediate experience -- I wouldn't presume to comment on the situation in the USA as I have no experience of it myself and frankly find a lot of your social policies baffling in what I perceive as their supreme stupidity and prejudice; and

(2) In Australia, four years of college would teach one the correct use of apostrophes.
    so do we have a "Occupy Groups activist on board"
    sort of,among other things[still no smilies working,come on Mark,weave your magic]

consistency is the hobdob
    of small minds[
    (12-04-2011, 11:44 AM)srijantje Wrote:  sort of,among other things[still no smilies working,come on Mark,weave your magic]

it's gotta be on your end sj,there's always something wrong with ya!! HystericalGun
    So, alhs - for starters I do not believe the Occupy groups represent 99 % of the people in the U.S.
    You brought up unemployment, then immediately jumped around a bit. The unemployment system as well as social security are two of the worst policies in the U.S. They are both unconstitutional, and the populace at large has come to lean on them excessively. Social Security was presented to the American people as a completely different entity when it was proposed, and over the years Congress has eroded it and stolen from it to the point no citizen will ever reap the amounts they were strong armed into 'contributing'. Unemployment is the same - individuals and businesses are forced to contribute to the unemployment pot; the money is used to pay bureaucratic salaries and hourly wage workers whose sole job is to enforce enough red tape most people cannot qualify to receive partial payments of their own money. The only way these (and many other) fallacies will be corrected is to reform our current government and remove the unconstitutional practices so many citizens are clamoring for more, not less of.
    (12-04-2011, 05:22 AM)Leanne Wrote:  I will overlook the fact that you make an excessively ignorant personal attack based on posts in a rant forum, where one is entitled to air an opinion that need not be a researched and footnoted essay, to simply point out two facts:

(1) I prefaced my comment with "in Australia", based not on News Limited propaganda but my own immediate experience -- I wouldn't presume to comment on the situation in the USA as I have no experience of it myself and frankly find a lot of your social policies baffling in what I perceive as their supreme stupidity and prejudice; and

(2) In Australia, four years of college would teach one the correct use of apostrophes.
    There was no personal attack? Unless you misunderstood my remark regarding ignorance as compared to stupidity. Let me explain the difference. Ignorance is unknowing of the truth or uneducated regarding a subject, as I am ignorant regarding brain surgery, or how to crochet, but if someone were to teach me how to perform brain surgery or crochet & I refused to learn it, or was purposely unwilling, well that's stupidity.
    I'm sure Australia has a lot of Idiots occupying, as we do in the states, also a lot of money mismanagers as well, but I'm positive, that there are also a lot of people who would be considered bright & intelligent to, wouldn't you agree?
    Also, my study was not in grammar but in Construction management, as well as a few courses in mechanical drafting, so forgive my stupidity in the use or placement of apostrophes or correct spelling or whatever else smokes your shorts, but feel free to continue to correct me. I am extremely versed in the knowledge of how a building is constructed, but rather stupid in the construction of a paragraph. I did notice you were almost capable of understanding my point, even though your only comment was a weak defense of your own.
    Regarding social values in the states, some are beneficial & fair to all/most, but as in Australia, some are not. Your Aborigines seemed to take it in the shorts for a long time, did that change yet? As I am ignorant of Australia's current policy towards them. (Yet another example of Ignorance vs Stupid)
    In closing, I still think your shrimp on a BBQ commercials over here Rock. (now that was stupid) lmfao
    @ alhs06 are you an Occupy Activist?? thanks

ok from now on let's keep this thread for Occupy Groups only/MOD

If you are from an Occupy Group/s please state which,thank you,we would like to hear your views
    (12-04-2011, 12:59 PM)Aish Wrote:  So, alhs - for starters I do not believe the Occupy groups represent 99 % of the people in the U.S.
    You brought up unemployment, then immediately jumped around a bit. The unemployment system as well as social security are two of the worst policies in the U.S. They are both unconstitutional, and the populace at large has come to lean on them excessively. Social Security was presented to the American people as a completely different entity when it was proposed, and over the years Congress has eroded it and stolen from it to the point no citizen will ever reap the amounts they were strong armed into 'contributing'. Unemployment is the same - individuals and businesses are forced to contribute to the unemployment pot; the money is used to pay bureaucratic salaries and hourly wage workers whose sole job is to enforce enough red tape most people cannot qualify to receive partial payments of their own money. The only way these (and many other) fallacies will be corrected is to reform our current government and remove the unconstitutional practices so many citizens are clamoring for more, not less of.
    You are correct Aish, the Occupy group doesn't represent 99% of the people here in the USA. The 99% vs the 1% refers to the extreme imbalance of "Representation" in social matter's related to how the wealthy are able to buy politicians through the lobby system & campaign contribution's. This imbalance allows them to draft & sell legislation beneficial to their own personal gains which are in most cases detrimental to the rest of us, the 99%. I'll point you to the dismantling of The Glass-Steagall Act of 1933, which was put in place to protect the Banks from their own Greed, it was repealed in 1999, what happened since then? you can find information here
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass%E2%80%93Steagall_Act_of_1932
    I completely believe in & absolutely endorse Democracy, Freedom & Capitalism, but what we have perpetuating world wide right now is not Capitalism, it's Criminality, agree?