• Search
  • Member List
  • Help
  • Random Thread

• Mystery Disease Strikes Women in Philly
    Mysterious Disease Leaving Philadelphia Women 'Possessed,' Catatonic...

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2013/02/07/health-mysterious-disease-discovered-locally-strikes-mainly-young-women

It seems to me this is something very much in need of discussion

IMO, there are three major issues here:

1) Why Philly and why only Philly? One possible (but probably over-simplified) explanation is that it had to start somewhere and Philly is just as good a place as any other. But that will not leave most people satisfied. Unfortunately, sad to say, my answer just has to be a resounding, "No Clue"!

2) What is the cause of this crazy disease? I have a feeling that it has something to do with the over-indulgent lifestyle that we humans have been living for the past hundred years or so. We have consumed far too many of the planet's resources and Mother Nature just so happens to have a way of straightening those kinds of things out. I know a lot of peeps will not accept this as truth without a big quarrel or debate. But it just seems so obvious to me. If you fuck with Mother Nature enough, eventually, she will fuck you back - LONG & HARD - and leave you high and dry. No doubt about it.

3) But why only women? Again, I'm sorry. But I just have no clue. I will try to venture a guess, however. Recently, I saw the PBS documentary "The Donner Party". It is one of Ric Burns' films. One interesting fact was that there were about 40 men and 40 women who were in the group and a hugely disproportionate number of the women survived as opposed to men. Why?

It may have something to do with the fact that women live substantially longer than men. Women have much fewer fatal heart attacks and strokes caused by stress than men. Again, I have no clue why that is. But, maybe Mother Nature is indulging in a little payback here? She seems to like to even out stuff and maybe she wants this disease to hit only women to kind of even up the numbers?

I have no idea. But I sure would like to hear what you think.

This is some real scary shit. I don't want to see our women get taken out like this. It's just not fair. I don't like it one bit. Not one single bit!

What do you think?
    (This post was last modified: 02-08-2013, 04:31 PM by AliShibaz.)
    Interesting article Ali. In answer to your 3rd question as to why it affects women only, Wiki says that "The disease is associated with tumours, mostly teratomas of the ovaries, and thus is considered a paraneoplastic syndrome."

Because the story was reported by local news, I'm guessing that's why the focus is on Philadelphia, but I'm sure there are cases of the disease all over the US. While it sounds very scary, the disease only kills a small number of women compared to heart attacks. In fact, heart disease is quickly becoming a major killer of women because our diets and lifestyles have gone to shit. This is one story I'll be keeping my eye on.
    Well, I just hope I can keep you company whilst you do dat and I hope dis post is not what you might call "off-topic". Or even "off-pippick". You know who is Kelly Rippick?
    (This post was last modified: 02-08-2013, 04:43 PM by AliShibaz.)