• Search
  • Member List
  • Help
  • Random Thread

• Is This Really Art?
    I believe in personal expression in every aspect of life. Basically I have the "whatever floats your boat" mentality, but do you really think some of this crazy painting is art?

I saw a painting in Chicago once that sold for $20,000 and it was literally this man's blood and excrement smeared on a canvas. It wasn't even a picture! It was random streaks! I hesitate to say it but to me that is just good marketing— it's not art.

[Image: os4CWTA.jpg]
    Andres Serrano's Piss Christ (1987)

Wildcard is awesome.
    (11-29-2011, 06:28 PM)Mark Wrote:  I hesitate to say it but to me that is just good marketing— it's not art.

And therein lies the problem these days -- it's about making money, not producing culture. As a musician, you can't get a record deal unless you've already produced your own music and made a name for yourself. As a writer, you can't get published unless you've already got publishing credits (or unless you've shagged a footballer and illustrate your memoir pamphlet with graphic photos). As a painter, your work won't sell unless someone famous says it's worth buying, or unless you're someone famous and all you've done is decorate a coffee cup.

It's not about the product, it's about the packaging.
    [Image: Du7Kjd1.jpg]
    [Image: g7N62wF.jpg]

Source

Wildcard is awesome.
    Brilliant Big Grin
    This is a great example of something that is pleasant to look at, but that I do not consider to be art.

[Image: v90q8qn.jpg]

Like is said, it is nice to look at, but might as well be a design on linoleum flooring. Anybody with a fucking straight-edge can do this. Rolleyes
    LZA liked this post
    HAHAHA @Wildcard

I agree, but there is probably some eccentric billionaire that would pay more than my last car was worth for it (16 Accord EX-V6, over 30k) so that ain't no joke...

[Image: TxEtlty.jpg]

Horrible, but someone probably loves it... To me it looks like Mike Pence in a wig...All subjective mi brotha