• Search
  • Member List
  • Help
  • Random Thread

• Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones Thread)
    (05-03-2019, 01:48 AM)LZA Wrote:  I'm listening to people talk about it. I guess there was a fight scene that was shot unusually dark? Did you notice this? People were pissed since they were saying they couldn't see the action.

I think some people will just cry about anything. In my opinion, it was intentionally dark and muddled to solidify the impression that it was Hell in those hours. People online are fucking cry babies...
    @Wildcard I'm actually really okay with this ending. It's not a hero's ending in any way. The whole series has pointed to this happening and anyone who expected a happy ending was delusional.

This is probably more of a controversial opinion but I'm so glad there was no Arya killing Dany scene or Bran warging into a dragon. I've always disliked the more magical and fantasy parts of the show (including the white walkers). So i'm glad that there wasn't some deus ex machina kind of way to save Jon.The first parts of the episode with Dany giving her speech and Jon killing her were great imo. Simple and to the point, very heart felt and generally a good tragic end to that story, Very beautifully shot too. The first parts of the episode with Dany giving her speech and Jon killing her were great imo. Simple and to the point, very heart felt and generally a good tragic end to that story, Very beautifully shot too. I actually really like the stark's endings. Jon being king felt really cliche to me and while it would technically be a "good" ending it still felt to generic for me. I like the idea that he goes north and he is with tormond and ghost. Arya sailing off made perfect sense and the north being independent was great. It had a great sense of closure and I did feel it really captured that Bittersweet feeling.

It would of been so much better had season 7 and 8 just been 10 episodes a piece. Just a little more time to flesh out the story points and make them feel earned. The Bad:

That "trial" scene was just really forced and weird. It went from Jon killing Dany to everyone seemingly chummy and sitting around the dragon pit. I just had to guess that a lot of time had past. It felt really out of place and didn't convey the gravity of the situation. I would of much preferred it if they had at least shown that the Unsullied still held the city and that there were armies waiting outside. Make the tension of the situation more known.

Bran being king is technically a good idea. But it just really feels out of nowhere. Why was anyone else okay with this? Sansa said she wanted to be independent, why the didn't the iron islands and Dorne say the same thing? My personal vote would be that no one is king. It just doesn't make sense anymore.

That council scene was pretty silly. I mean Sam practically winks at the camera when he says "its called a Song of Ice and fire" then they started making jokes. Idk some of it was good, anything with Davos is good, but man it just felt forced.

Speaking of which Tyrion should of died. His "punishment" is dumb and Grey Worm should of known that. Jon's death would of started a war so that makes sense. But Tyrion being hand of the king felt really cliche and dumb. I love Tyrion but he should of died. Pod is now a kings guard? Why? Give him knighthood let him get married and have kids, why does he need to be in the kings guard. for that matter why the hell is Brienne in the kings guard? Shouldn't she be serving with Sansa? Not bad just odd.

Bronn being at the council felt like that whole Q rating meme. On one hand I get it and kind of like it. He was a cut throat just like all the other houses and its very thronesy to put him there. But I don't think the season earned that.
    (This post was last modified: 05-20-2019, 01:44 AM by Stella 1977.)
    (05-20-2019, 01:26 AM)Stella 1977 Wrote:  @Wildcard I'm actually really okay with this ending. It's not a hero's ending in any way. The whole series has pointed to this happening and anyone who expected a happy ending was delusional.

The last season did not live up to my expectations. I don't think I am alone in this.

For me, it wasn't the ending that bothered me, though. It was the entirety of this last season and the issues the plague each and every episode, whether it be the plot holes, the lack of closure for many of my favorite characters, or the fucking coffee cups and water bottles left in scenes— it all points to one thing: no one involved in this project cared as much about the outcome as the viewers did.

The phenomenal (sarcasm) writers were praised as long as they have George R. R. Martin's story for the screenplay. Just as soon as the story passed the books, things starting turning ugly quick.

Having said all of that, I still enjoyed the show overall and I am glad that I watched it, but the fan in me won't rest until I read the last two books and get some real, well-though-out closure from Mr. Martin.
    @Wildcard Dany had to die. But she really did have to die. You could never have a respected government built on what she done. And top of all that, an aunt and a nephew, lovers ruling the seven kingdoms. That wouldn't have been breaking the wheel. That would have been more of the same. In a way, Dany needed to die to accomplish her primary goal. And she did. Jon was happiest in the true north. He's going back there to be with the free folk. He needs room to wander. He's got Tormond and Ghost. So happy for him, that he has a life now where he can breath and not feel burdened by responsibility or expectation.

Visually, the episode was amazing as always. All the Drogon shots were awesome. I loved the throne melting scene. And Drogon flying Dany back to Volantis. Drogon would have destroyed Jon if he weren't a Targaryen. That was a great scene.

Jon finding the strength to kill Dany was great. It was a very optimistic ending which left so many paths open.
    (This post was last modified: 05-20-2019, 02:13 PM by Stella 1977.)
    All of what you said is true, but I have no issue with any of that. I just felt like they rushed it.

We should have gotten more signs along the way that something about Dany just wasn't right. Why did the give us example after example of her benevolence, just to turn her into a monster in 3-4 episodes?

Why did her focus always have to be on saving innocent lives during her campaigns in Essos, but when she had what she wanted in her grasp, she turns into something that we never got a glimpse of until this season?

How did they expect us to believe that her dragon was shot out of the sky with one scorpion bolt, when GRRM stated on several occasions that a full grown dragon in the air is practically invincible?

None of what you brought up is an issue for me. There is no doubt that the story was meant to end this way. I mean, GRRM advised the production. The issue isn't the story, but the writing! The books are one hundred percent believable from beginning to end. All the dialogue feels authentic; all the decisions fit the character as you know them.

The writers on GoT did fine when they had an award-winning author's work to guide them.
    @Wildcard Ultimately, I like how the show was wrapped up. But i agree with you. It needed more time for the execution. More focus on dialog and character moments. Apart from it being squeezed, i think it works out for the best. A period of calm, of rebuilding, and knowing that the next monarch will be chosen not born eliminates a bunch of shit. Thing that ticks me off the most about season 8 is how so many beloved characters seem to lose their intelligence. They seemed to be less thinking, planning individuals with their own hopes and desires, and more plot devices. Cersei was the worst. Sansa maybe came off the best, as she was actively engaging the world and looking out for her and her people's interests in every circumstance, and learned her lessons well from Littlefinger.
    (05-20-2019, 05:05 PM)Stella 1977 Wrote:  Thing that ticks me off the most about season 8 is how so many beloved characters seem to lose their intelligence. They seemed to be less thinking, planning individuals with their own hopes and desires, and more plot devices.

I totally agree about that. That is what I mean by rushing the development of the characters. When you tell an actor that they are going to do something out of their character because they haven't taken the time to slowly adjust their perception throughout dialogue and (mis)deeds, how can it feel natural?
    This is a deep fake of Jon Snow denouncing Season 8 (spoilers, kinda)

I think it is hilarious LMAO

I heard about the water bottles on set, so the part where he was sipping coffee was the funniest part to me.

This reminds me of the shit when people didn't understand the Soprano's ending... Took me a while to get it too, but I was smart enough to know it may have been my stupidity that didn't allow me to understand. Maybe it was a letdown, but maybe it was another excuse for people to bitch about something...
    (06-14-2019, 04:29 PM)LZA Wrote:  This reminds me of the shit when people didn't understand the Soprano's ending...

...except for this time, they are right. I would bet my life that when the books come out, all of this will make sense and the show Season 8 will look even worse.