• Search
  • Member List
  • Help
  • Random Thread

• Rant Higher Education is complicated and off-putting
    College is bullshit. Literal bullshit. I say this because I as human trash just want to go get a degree in culinary arts and as such it is over complicated. I just want to go learn how to cook and rack up some hefty student loans, but no! I have to learn advanced math and English and history and other unnecessary bullshit just so I can owe more money and waste my time. This is just cancerous because I just want to cook not write an essay on cooking. Or write a fucking pizza equation. I don't know if this was frustrating for anyone else trying to do a relatively simple job and frankly, I don't care because it's a rant and I'm Human Trash.
    Wildcard and kittensaremean liked this post
    So go to a culinary school where you can just study that alone?

I'm sure something like that exists. Or do you think you need a four year degree to work in a kitchen?

That aside, I agree undergraduate stuff is generally bullshit.
    (This post was last modified: 01-09-2019, 04:31 PM by politux.)
    I always wondered why they have these pre-requisite type courses. The only reason I can see them justifying for them is to actually see how and if you can learn. I guess my point is how can you pass a specified class is you can't pass a basic class like math, English or a history class...

For example, my ex-wife's former co-worker dropped out of nursing when he quit after the math class, which was a good thing. I knew the guy and he can barely sling a sentence together nevermind think critically or god forbid treat patients...

That's the only thing I can think of. I can certainly understand your frustration over it though...
    HumanTrash liked this post
    @HumanTrash I agree totally. I think a lot of it has to do with selling the class, but that is just me guessing.

Although, you do need math to cook, it is only necessary to understand the basics.
    don't bother with attaining any sort of degree in the culinary arts; you'd just be wasting everyone's time including your own.

there are plenty of classes at your local community college or trade center that will give you a certificate of completion which will tell any prospective employer that you are capable of washing dishes, scrubbing hood filters, cleaning up vomit or scooping human waste out of the urinals come last call.

to be honest, with your attitude, i don't think you are qualified to wash dishes let alone anything else.

my advise to you is to get a job at taco bell or mc donalds. eventually, you might become a shift supervisor or something... i doubt it, but who knows...

"Yeah. I understand the mechanics of it, shithead. I just don't understand how this is any less retarded than what I'm suggesting." - Kiley; Housebound.
    (01-09-2019, 03:35 PM)HumanTrash Wrote:  College is bullshit. Literal bullshit. I say this because I as human trash just want to go get a degree in culinary arts and as such it is over complicated. I just want to go learn how to cook and rack up some hefty student loans, but no! I have to learn advanced math and English and history and other unnecessary bullshit just so I can owe more money and waste my time. This is just cancerous because I just want to cook not write an essay on cooking. Or write a fucking pizza equation. I don't know if this was frustrating for anyone else trying to do a relatively simple job and frankly, I don't care because it's a rant and I'm Human Trash.

I whole heartedly agree but I believe they are just draining peoples pockets.
    Wildcard liked this post