• Search
  • Member List
  • Help
  • Random Thread
  • Poll: Grunge or Hair Metal? - You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
    Hair Metal
    33.33%
    33.33%
    Grunge
    66.67%
    66.67%
    * You voted for this item. Show Results

Discussion: "Hair Metal" vs Grunge
    @Stella 1977 I used that as an example of a certain %, not the music as a whole. Some of it is glam'ed up and they talk about drugs, girls and being famous. But I know that's not the rule... Some of those hair metal bands even said that it stopped being about the look.

The best way I can articulate it is not all hair metal is about that just as not all grunge is about depression and skinny unbathed hippy freaks. . And I think Grunge is a subgenre of Alternative. So we're talking about the same points, just from the perspective of our favorite genres.

I don't know if hair metal or glam metal is meant to be offensive, just a descriptive way to indicate what's being talked about... There is Heavy metal, speed metal, etc. One thing I have to disagree on, the hair metal did become an image. Why the aquanet, spandex if it wasn't necessary. Also, I think the grungy look was a welcome change, but I'll admit the grunge was part of the image thing too.
    @LZA You can say how "Grunge" was good for Rock but in no way can an emergence that killed it be considered a good thing for Rock. Looking at it in retrospect shows how devastating it truly was.The emergence of the alternative style stifled Rock's growth and continuance as a cultural force. I can't help but think how much Rock has become a caricature of itself as a result.
    I really do believe 80's early 90s Hair/Heavy Metal was Rock's last good era. When Grunge/Alternative came into popularity circa 1992 and onward, the era of modern rock began. Rock has never been the same since then. From a composition standpoint the genre declined big time. I believe that this decline in compositional standards and overall musical content that occurred with the rise 90's alt rock era contributed to the declining popularity of rock music today, e.g. why so many young youths today prefer Rap, R&B, and Pop. The Rock genre had nothing astounding going on post 1992. The people that grew up in the 90's and later had no Led Zeppelin I, Disraeli Gears or Are You Experienced? of their own to make them go out and pick up an instrument and do better than what came before them. 1993 was the last year before Rock essentially died.

Sure the lyrical subjects of hair bands were rather shallow, concentrating on partying, drugs, and sex, but the music was kick-ass hard rock/heavy metal, pulling from influences such as Van Halen, Led Zeppelin, Kiss, and Black Sabbath. It was entertaining, exciting and made you feel good, versus the "I'm depressed and hate the world for no reason" message of Grunge.
    Explain to me how grunge was any more creative than "hair" metal? Personally, Bret Michaels singing "Nothin' But a Good Time" - as derivative as that may be - is infinitely preferable to an unwashed, flannel-shirted Vedder bellowing his angst over recycled Sabbath/Zeppelin riffs. I just I miss the good highschool times rockin to crue and leppard..aerosmith..poison ..in the parking lot before class started.long live 80s/early 90s Heavy Metal. History speaks for itself. Right before grunge, Rock had one of the widest mass appeals at that point. It appealed to males, females and to all ages. Fact is "hair metal" lasted longer and was more successful than most other sub-genres in rock - that alone makes the detractors bitter and twisted. Plus most of the band members were better looking than those who constantly attack them!!
    @LZA You disagree with most of the things i say in my posts but the one thing you must agree with me is that rockstars stopped acting like rockstars. And I don’t mean the whole stereotypical rockstar I mean that none of the new bands coming out have any personality. Jesus Christ you ever watch some of these musicians get interviewed? A brick wall has more personality than they do. Commercial Rock is dead. Its been dead. I don't know why people keep saying its coming back. People would rather go to a EDM concert. This generation of kids barely have any true popular rock Music.
    @Stella 1977 I'll agree with that statement, with the exception of that I disagree with everything you say. Our reasons are similar, but the difference is you like metal, and I like alternative. We differ on the style of music, but I relate to the basic points of why you like metal is why I like Alternative. Especially your love for it is because it brought you back to a time where you thought music was awesome and relatable.

Another difference I noted is You feel robbed, since grunge came after, metal, whereas I feel saved. Where I was frustrated at the time that I thought most of the music sucked, grunge came and it was like a godsend. While I can't feel your betrayal of the god music leaving in rock, most rap fans know that this new mumble/new wave BS taking over the god style and destroying a genre lets me empathize with what you must feel about your metal going by the wayside.

I may even concede that metal was more popular for longer than alternative, if the stats show this, but since this is more of a subjective discussion I can never agree metal was better than grunge; even if there was no Nirvana and it never had the popularity.

As far as the interviews...Ya, it goes with the misfit gimmick that they just want to play music and not deal with anything else, which mostly matches the style of music... The parallel to metal, and their over the top style interviews match the music. It wouldn't make sense to interview happy and energetic if the music doesn't reflect that. Could be a marketing ploy on both sides in some cases.

I also love EDM... Even that style had its heyday... I'd say from 2006-2014 was their best years. Rap I'm guessing was from the early 90s to mid-00s. Hardcore Grunge was from 91-97, then it got watered down with Nickelback and such (who are still cool IMHO), and the metal was from maybe early 80s to mid-late 80s, where IMHO, got watered down when it turned into glam rock. You may dispute the dates, but even Def Leppard jumped the shark because Pyromania is awesome and pour some Sugar on me, is watered down, sissy crap.

I'm not being combative (cuz god knows I can be), but you and I seem to run on emotions, so we mirror each other in our responses. Point being, If not trying to convince you, I respect your opinion and can understand it even if I can't agree.
    @LZA I just want to discuss about music with you. I guess i am emotionally hurt by what happened in the 90's. 80's/early 90' were such fun times to be alive and a fan of Heavy Metal music. Concerts were fun and wild. It was a period when rock was good (for me anyway) and then by like 93 and on rock became depressing sounding with snarling growling singers who were depressed. I remember in my high school senior year openly despising the grunge bands with a passion.
    (05-12-2019, 03:04 PM)Stella 1977 Wrote:  @LZA I just want to discuss about music with you. I guess i am emotionally hurt by what happened in the 90's. 80's/early 90' were such fun times to be alive and a fan of Heavy Metal music. Concerts were fun and wild. It was a period when rock was good (for me anyway) and then by like 93 and on rock became depressing sounding with snarling growling singers who were depressed. I remember in my high school senior year openly despising the grunge bands with a passion.

Trust me, I get it and I agree with you. Emotionally when grunge came I felt I finally had music that I can get into. And again, I've admitted before that it was the gimmicks I didn't really like. GnR, SOME Motley Crue, and a few others I actually liked the music... I just couldn't drop the ego enough to admit it. Every Rose Has its Thorn was probably my one and only Poison song.

But bans like Ratt, Queensryche, and the other generic stuff IMO were like copy cat broken records, sine to me, there was nothing really significant. I actually didn't realize how much I didn't care for it until Grunge hit, since Grunge I thought was awesome.

After Smells Like Teen Spirit, The second song that nailed the coffin was Outshined by Soundgarden. Chris Cornell's voice is godlike. He has one of those voices that you pick out of anywhere... So Nirvana may have been the breakthrough band, but STP. Soundgarden, AIC really took the talent to another level.

Like you, I'm sad that that type of Grunge is pretty much gone away... I guess the pendulum swung back the other way from grunge to more.........I guess...Pop alternative. Which is good, but the deep grittiness isn't there..