• Search
  • Member List
  • Help
  • Random Thread
  • Poll: Grunge or Hair Metal? - You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
    Hair Metal
    33.33%
    33.33%
    Grunge
    66.67%
    66.67%
    * You voted for this item. Show Results

Discussion: "Hair Metal" vs Grunge
    @LZA What an awesome song. Have you heard the It's five o clock somewhere album? Slash's Snakepit?

(This post was last modified: 04-19-2019, 05:14 AM by Stella 1977.)
    LZA liked this post
    @Stella 1977

Never heard of Slash's snake pit. BUt this reminds me of something. STP+ GnR = VELVET REVOLVER... What I consider the BEST of both genres.

CAn't believe I forgot them, I remembered Audio slave, but that was 2 alternative bands (Soundgarden& RATM).

VR is a perfect example of the music being the music and what can happen when the right mix of each style come together.

Just SICK! And there is more where that came from Smile
    (This post was last modified: 04-19-2019, 02:26 PM by LZA.)
    Stella 1977 liked this post
    @LZA Check out this video. I agree with Lita Ford..there is NO real kick ass music scene anymore !! WTF ??
    It's all kiddie POP.

(This post was last modified: 04-19-2019, 05:00 PM by Stella 1977.)
    LZA liked this post
    @Stella 1977

That's a great honest video. I can see some of the parallels between grunge/hair spray rock, and maybe a reason why that rock died out, like grunge eventually did.

Some of them knew they weren't trendsetters, but followers. Someone said the A, B, and C class... That happened in grunge too.

Your contention about it being about the music was echoed by some of those guys. A few of them mentioned that it became more about fashion than about music... Which has nothing to do with music, so maybe the over-doing of the fashion statements caused it to fail, ya know? like a big fake bubble that burst. It can't be genuine in all cases since some admitted they just did what they had to do.

Also, they also masked unhappiness from this in their performances. So they may have been more like grunge but grunge never really faked their moods while hair metal put on brave faces. It all washes out in the end. Hair metal knew they were unhappy, which may have caused their careers to die. Grunge people were unhappy; as an example, Kurt Cobain was said to be unhappy feeling that he got fake when he was big too. He and others literally lost their actual lives.

About what Lita said, I was wondering if it's an age thing. I hope I'd never be like the elders who hated new music because they were too rigid to understand. I don't think I am since there is new music that I do like, but most of it is kiddie pop. How come I can enjoy music from before my time, but absolutely HATE what's new now? I couldn't relate to a time I wasn't born in but could appreciate it anyway... This new stuff is unreal... Especially the rap. Is fucking GARBAGE... and grunge/rock at least if I didn't like the lyrics I could like the beats or vice versa. I can't find anything redeeming with most, not all new stuff today.

We've mentioned in this thread about music being a sign of the times. 80s were fun and excess, 90s were more of a real-time where the voiceless were heard. Now?? I just dunno... I don't want to derail the topic and turn this political, but the fucked up music may be an illustration of the fucked up thinking in these new times... One thing I'm hopeful of is if history has taught us anything, it won't be like this forever. Kinda like the weather here in New England... Don't like the cold, just wait a min... Don't like the heat, just wait a min... Unlike the way the country is thinking, I hope the music changes into something that is enjoyable and for the most part, makes sense.
    (This post was last modified: 04-19-2019, 06:53 PM by LZA.)
    @LZA I love GnR so much!

@LZA Check out this documentary. At that time the "M" in MTV actually meant something, I loved MTV back then. Now it's just a politically-driven machine. A way to poison teenager's minds against Conservatism. "Hey, we're MTV!! Be cool and join us as a liberal, or be a POS, and have no friends!"

(This post was last modified: 04-20-2019, 03:17 AM by Stella 1977.)
    (04-20-2019, 03:08 AM)Stella 1977 Wrote:  At that time the "M" in MTV actually meant something, I loved MTV back then.  

money?

"Yeah. I understand the mechanics of it, shithead. I just don't understand how this is any less retarded than what I'm suggesting." - Kiley; Housebound.
    Wildcard liked this post
    (04-20-2019, 03:08 AM)Stella 1977 Wrote:  @LZA  I love GnR so much!

GnR is definitely epic! Use Your Illusion (to me) made them top a tier band, regardless of the genre. They are the "knock your teeth down your throat, real deal". I swear I think I didn't like most hair sprayers since most I thought were fake sissies. GnR wasn't really like the rest. I'd be more afraid to take a punch from guys like Axl than some guy in makeup and hair spray... Unless it's Dee Snider... He was too ugly to pull off the typical hair rocker vibe. Funny when I was younger to be silly enough to hate something because of the presentation of it... I actually liked Motley Crue back then, but I was ashamed of myself and wouldn't admit it.

(04-20-2019, 03:08 AM)Stella 1977 Wrote:  @LZA   Check out this documentary. At that time the "M" in MTV actually meant something, I loved MTV back then.  

LOL, I recognized the video I attached in an earlier post... This is the complete version. (without Vince Neil irritatingly repeating his "fuck some chicks" comment).

Funny remembering the culture back them. Comparing what I thought it was to what they say... Vince Neil's life was more difficult than I realized, but he still put on that rocker face. I'm not saying he's fake... Actually, I'm sure a lot of people would pretend life was better by trying to become someone else. I can relate more to him than the grungies... I loved grunge since they were brave enough to show everyone that they were real by not being as happy. But the hair spray "mask" was real too because most people do the same thing.

I can also relate to the financial savvy of these bands... Hair spray almost seems like Pro Wrestling. Crazy costumes, loud, excessive, blow your money... If I was a rocker I'd certainly fall into that... It's not how much you make, it's how much you save. some wrestler said that. Tongue

(04-20-2019, 03:08 AM)Stella 1977 Wrote:  Just to update, MTV2 is like MTV I guess... It was for music but has gone away. I guess there is an MTV classic that is supposed to be like the original, but somehow... I don't know...

A lot of channels are like that now... This political climate is something else... I'm sure the Hair spray genre wouldn't last today sine the way they partied and "fucked chicks" would be a PC nightmare.

Drugs are  rampant in all music, but in grunge, I wonder if people feel more for a grunge type person than a rocker for OD'ing, as hypocritical as that is..

Can you picture in today's culture of media fed non-thinking zombies taking their Blue pills, What they would think of this behavior? I can picture most feeling sorrier for the depressed grunge guy because they "couldn't deal with life" than they would for a hair rocker because they were partying in an orgy because he was out of control having too much fun? Not saying that's a correct way of thinking since all ODs are fucked up and senseless... TBH if I had to OD, I'd rather have fun than feel sorry for myself.