• Search
  • Member List
  • Help
  • Random Thread
  • Image Feed

Movies Films You've Watched Recently
    Amistad (1997)

I've had this movie for a very long time, but never watched it. I can't say for sure why, but I thought this was a Revolutionary Era war movie. Instead I found a very engaging, provocative, and heartwarming movie.

The first two minutes of the film is riveting. My eyes were glued to the screen. The combination of terrific sound production and some very smart camera work make the opening scene impossible to gloss over. Unsure of what is happening, the viewer holds their breath to find out. Then the discovery only unfolds more questions.

By the five minute mark, it is clear that this film, set in 1839, is about one of the biggest catalysts for The Civil War. The results of this court's decision would lead to the eventual emancipation of slaves in the United States. This case decided, for the first time, that people were not property. Even though it would be years before this ruling would be completely disseminated to the states and the America people, this was the beginning.

An all-star cast; a very well-written script; a great movie.

Amistad (1997)
    Amistad: Directed by Steven Spielberg. With Morgan Freeman, Nigel Hawthorne, Anthony Hopkins, Djimon Hounsou. In 1839, the revolt of Mende captives aboard a Spanish owned ship causes a major controversy in the United States when the ship is captured off the coast of Long Island. The courts must decide whether the Mende are slaves or legally free.

8/10

poster
    [Image: NIs86iH.jpeg]
    Breakdown (1997)

I took a chance on this film for a rainy, Sunday afternoon and it fit the bill, just fine.

I like Kurt Russel, generally— and I recognized J. T. Walsh from a couple of other really good roles, so I decided to roll the dice with this thriller.

The story is fairly familiar: a couple winds up getting into trouble with some small-town bad guys. In this rendition, nothing really groundbreaking happens, but everything that does happen is solid and entertaining. The mostly unknown cast (to me, at least) executed well and the movie was over before I knew it. To me, that's a satisfactory result.

I doubt I'll ever watch it, again, but stranger things have happened.

Breakdown (1997)
    Breakdown: Directed by Jonathan Mostow. With Kurt Russell, J.T. Walsh, Kathleen Quinlan, M.C. Gainey. A man searches for his missing wife after his car breaks down in the middle of the desert.

6.5/10

poster
    [Image: LJBDrzo.jpg]
    The 'Burbs (1989)

I completely forgot about this movie!

When I was very young, I remember watching this on PPV with my brother. We loved one specific part which I won't spoil, but we quoted this movie for months after we saw it. I don't know how it slipped my mind, but I saw a Reddit post about underrated movies and this one was mentioned. I'm really glad I got that reminder.

This is a fun film. It has a superb cast of clowns doing cartwheels and hitting themselves with pies, proverbially, of course. Tom Hanks is the lead and his neighbors are made up of actors ranging from all-stars to unknowns, but everyone does a wonderful job. I have to mention that the inimitable Carrie Fisher is in this. Such a beautiful woman and a fine actor.

Overall, this is a movie about human nature and how pack mentality works. It will entertain you and make you laugh, but it actually makes you think, as well.

The 'Burbs: Directed by Joe Dante. With Tom Hanks, Bruce Dern, Carrie Fisher, Rick Ducommun. An overstressed suburbanite and his neighbors are convinced that the new family on the block are part of a murderous Satanic cult.

7.5/10

poster
    [Image: k5SJL6o.jpeg]
    LZA liked this post
    Superbad (2007)

I have way too many movies. Confused

I have recently started forming a new routine where around an hour and half before bedtime, I start scrolling through my movies, looking for something watch. Last night (as many other nights) I settled on a movie that I have already seen. Instead of watching one of dozens of movies that I haven't seen, I went back to movie that I had watched years earlier.

Gotta keep it real, I am glad that I did. I forgot how awesome this movie is. I forgot that so many great characters were scripted into this film. I forgot how awesome McLovin was LMAO

Michael Cera, Jonah Hill, Bill Hader, Seth Rogan, Emma Stone, Joe Lo Truglio— all actors with such unique and versatile styles. Not to mention tons of other faces that you will immediately recognize. Great way to spend ninety minutes, if you ask me.

Superbad (2007)
    Superbad: Directed by Greg Mottola. With Jonah Hill, Michael Cera, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, Bill Hader. Two co-dependent high school seniors are forced to deal with separation anxiety after their plan to stage a booze-soaked party goes awry.

8.5/10

poster
    [Image: rfj6Zgu.jpeg]
    Platoon for the nine millionth time.

It gets better and better every time I see it. Staff Sgt Barnes is a bad guy worth of Darth Vader status. Charlie Sheen is really a great actor, despite his "winning" ways. 10/10 all day long

Platoon (1986)
    Platoon (1986)
    wildcard liked this post
    Straight Outta Compton (2015)

I generally don't like biopics, to be fair. Don't get me wrong, there good ones, but I have just seen too many bad films that an artist or other celebrity push out there, full of their personal agendas and representing things falsely to save face.

There is some of the that in this movie, if I am being honest, but overall, the focus was on telling the story of N.W.A. — as it should be.

The actors were chosen very well, in terms of resembling their real life counterparts and also in how they carried themselves. The story was told well, and contains so much emotion that I was surprised by how hard it hit, at times.

If you already know about N.W.A. and its history, you probably won't learn anything new from this flick, but it is still a movie I'd recommend.

Straight Outta Compton: Directed by F. Gary Gray. With O'Shea Jackson Jr., Corey Hawkins, Jason Mitchell, Neil Brown Jr.. The rap group NWA emerges from the mean streets of Compton in Los Angeles, California, in the mid-1980s and revolutionizes Hip Hop culture with their music and tales about life in the hood.

6.5/10

poster
    [Image: J9xPjhY.jpeg]
    It occurred to me that I have only been doing reviews for movies that I enjoyed. Here is a list of some of the stinkers:

9 to 5 (1980)

I absolutely love Dolly Parton. And she was absolutely the best part of this movie. I shouldn't call it a stinker, but I am just saying that, for me, it doesn't hold up.

9 To 5 (1980)
    9 to 5: Directed by Colin Higgins. With Jane Fonda, Lily Tomlin, Dolly Parton, Dabney Coleman. Three female employees of a sexist, egotistical, lying, hypocritical bigot find a way to turn the tables on him.

3.5/10

2001 - A Space Odyssey (1968)

I tried to like this movie. I wanted to like this movie, but I guess my attention-span isn't what it used to be. The music is amazing; the cinematography is beyond reproach, but...the movie itself is pointless, National Geographic at its finest for so long that I just gave up and changed the "channel."

2001: A Space Odyssey: Directed by Stanley Kubrick. With Keir Dullea, Gary Lockwood, William Sylvester, Daniel Richter. After discovering a mysterious artifact buried beneath the Lunar surface, mankind sets off on a quest to find its origins with help from intelligent supercomputer H.A.L. 9000.

4/10

And Now For Something Completely Different (1971)

I like Monty Python, but am not exactly the biggest fan in the world. I love John Cleese, but as an ensemble, I find them to be hit-or-miss. This is a cool movie in some ways, but also, a miss.

And Now for Something Completely Different: Directed by Ian MacNaughton. With Graham Chapman, John Cleese, Terry Gilliam, Eric Idle. An anthology of the best sketches from the first and second seasons of Monty Python's Flying Circus (1969).

3/10

Chaplin (1992)

Another movie I wanted to like. I love RDJ. I review his movies often, but this won't be one I'll bother with, again. Three tries and every time I was just exhausted trying to make myself pay attention to what could barely be called movement in the script.

Chaplin (1992)
    Chaplin: Directed by Richard Attenborough. With Robert Downey Jr., Geraldine Chaplin, Paul Rhys, John Thaw. An elderly Charlie Chaplin discusses his autobiography with his editor, recounting his amazing journey from his poverty-stricken childhood to world-wide success after the ingenious invention of the Little Tramp.

2.5/10
    I just watched This

The Rock (1996)
    The Rock: Directed by Michael Bay. With Sean Connery, Nicolas Cage, Ed Harris, John Spencer. A mild-mannered chemist and an ex-con must lead the counterstrike when a rogue group of military men, led by a renegade general, threaten a nerve gas attack from Alcatraz against San Francisco.

movie again

POSTER
    [Image: The-Rock-Cover.jpg]
    A different take but one I always had been, General Hummel is probably my favorite actor out of this. He was the best actor in his role, and I believed everything he said about the unpaid soldiers. yeah, Connery or Cage is cool, and the leader of the Navy SEALS was none other than Johnny Ringo, But Hummel Is the real hero here, fucking up a LIFE as a General in the army to be a traitor until a time comes when Americans understand he was actually doing something good?

If it played out Hummel's way, there would be no movie. LOL no hero, no action, Hummel would be a hero but not until wayyyyyy after all is said and done.  This is why we follow the movies...   I always liked Hummel's part.

8/10
    wildcard liked this post
    White Men Can't Jump (1992)

When this movie came out, I was eleven-years-old. I heard about it, but apparently it was a little too adult for me to watch, so I had to wait until later on...except that I completely forgot that this movie even existed. If it weren't for the innate desire that I have to own every movie that was ever remotely relevant to my life, I might have never watched it.

But I did, and I am pretty glad about it. For a moment, lets forget about the powerhouse duo of Wesley Snipes and Woody Harrelson— as great as they are. Instead lets turn our attention to the vivacious Rosie Perez who plays Gloria Clemente, the on-again, off-again girlfriend of Billy (Harrelson.) This lady is not only drop-dead gorgeous— and even more so with her delicious accent— but also perfectly plays the part of a love-torn young lady still placing her hopes in a man that had let her down time and time again.

This story might seem to be about a white boy and a black boy who team up to run basketball hustles, but to me, the more palpable theme was of Billy the compulsive gambler who throws away everything good in his life trying to prove something to everyone but himself.

White Men Can't Jump: Directed by Ron Shelton. With Wesley Snipes, Woody Harrelson, Rosie Perez, Tyra Ferrell. Black and white basketball hustlers join forces to double their chances of winning money on the street courts and in a basketball tournament.

5.5/10

poster
    [Image: UkSqqDf.jpeg]