• Search
  • Member List
  • Help
  • Random Thread
  • Image Feed

Movies Films You've Watched Recently
    Joe (2013)

I did not expect much from this film, I have to be honest. It smacked of a B-movie from the start, and lately I am seeing tons of B-movies from big name actors, so I assumed it was another one.

It is not, in my opinion.

Joe (Nicolas Cage) is a kind enough man, but to say he is rough around the edges would be an understatement. By day, he runs a business that employs a dozen or so men who do hard labor cleaning up the forest. By night, his constantly drinking bourbon and consorting with various undesirables makes Joe's life a very toxic one.

When Joe meets Gary and his ne'er do well father, he puts them both to work, but soon begins to see that Wade, the boy's dad, is an abusive alcoholic. Joe tries to help Gary to get out of the situation, but things get out of hand quickly and Joe finds himself right in the middle of it all.

Cage brings such strength to this role and plays each scene in such a way as to make the viewer feel Joe's pain, but always with an element of something just under the surface that we aren't privy to. The young man who plays Gary, Tye Sheridan, does so convincingly enough, although some of his lines do feel a bit forced. I have to believe that the fumbling of the lines was intentional as a flaw of the character, but it was almost too subtle, if so.

Overall, this is an intense movie that moves at a fast pace, and although it can be a little murky, sometimes, it gets the blood flowing all the same.

Joe (2013)
    Directed by David Gordon Green. With Nicolas Cage, Tye Sheridan, Gary Poulter, Ronnie Gene Blevins. An ex-con, who is the unlikeliest of role models, meets a 15-year-old boy and is faced with the choice of redemption or ruin.

7/10

poster
    [Image: 4PVLq5s.jpg]