• Search
  • Member List
  • Help
  • Random Thread

• Movies: Films You've Watched Recently
    WWW.IMDB.COM
    Star Wars: The Phantom Menace (1999) -...
    Directed by George Lucas. With Ewan McGregor, Liam Neeson, Natalie...

When I was a teenager, the Star Wars prequels came out. I had been a huge fan of the original movies, but when I saw a little of The Phantom Menace at a friends house, I was extremely disappointed. It seemed very Disney to me; like it was made for children. So, on that one glimpse of something that seemed to profane the sanctity of the original pictures, I decided, fuck the new movies. Last night, twenty years later, I gave in and watched the first movie...

It was pretty damn cool.

Finding out where Vader came from; seeing Obiwan's path; and getting more of Yoda onscreen was awesome. Yea, a lot of it felt hokey, but that's acceptable when you take the rest of the movie into context. The race scenes are well done, with the exception that some of Jake Lloyd's (Anakin's) banter is very forced. I'm not worried too much about that either, because he is a child actor and doing an otherwise superb performance.

Even though I wound up liking it, I am still glad I waited to watch it. Its nice to save good things for later. Smile

6/10
    [Image: FeV3Rk4.jpg]
    I watched Sully (2016) last night. It was an interesting movie.

I enjoyed the way they jumped around a bit using Sully's remembrances of the accident and how I began to feel like I'd been there after awhile.

WWW.IMDB.COM
    Sully (2016) - IMDb
    Directed by Clint Eastwood. With Tom Hanks, Aaron Eckhart, Laura...

7/10
    WWW.IMDB.COM
    Dirty Work (1998) - IMDb
    Directed by Bob Saget. With Norm MacDonald, Jack Warden, Artie Lange,...

Being a HUGE Norm and Artie fan, I'm surprised I finally gt around to watching this .

It's good in a silly way. I LOL'ed a few times. Good time waster... I give it a 6/10
    Wildcard liked this post
    WWW.IMDB.COM
    Mean Streets (1973) - IMDb
    Directed by Martin Scorsese. With Robert De Niro, Harvey Keitel, David...

Just seeing it for the first time... Was pretty cool but it just ended abruptly IMHO...

After watching Goodfellas, I was able to spot Scorsese's mom in her small part right away.

Weird to see the difference in parts Deniro played as Corleone in Godfather II and this role...

7/10.
    Wildcard liked this post
    WWW.IMDB.COM
    Funny People (2009) - IMDb
    Directed by Judd Apatow. With Adam Sandler, Seth Rogen, Leslie Mann,...

I just finished watching this movie. In the interest of full disclosure, it was split up into two different viewings. The reason for this is one of my biggest criticisms of this movie which is, it is two and a half hours long.

My reaction to the beginning of the story was almost entirely positive. A successful comedian learns that he is dying and befriends a young standup comedian...okay it hasn't been done to death, at least. Then they bring in an old flame, there are some complications, etc. Just when the movie hits the arc, and I was sure that it was nearly over, I looked and there was forty-five minutes of movie left. Dodgy

So, the movie lasts forever, and the part of the movie past around 1:45:00 isn't worth it. There are a few good moments in the last stretch, but the arc could have been shorter. Just editing out some of the fart jokes, or taking out some of that cringe of ambiguous intent would have been a start.

I haven't said a lot of good things about the movie, but it really wasn't all that bad. If it had been this side of two hours, I might have given it a 5/10, but the fact that I felt that my time was wasted really pulls it down.

Jonah Hill had a few good moments; Seth Rogan is pretty good throughout; and Sandler is just same ole Sandler. No surprises. He either plays a simpleton with a heart of gold or an hellion with honor. This time he was the latter.

3.5/10
    (02-25-2019, 11:32 PM)Wildcard Wrote:  I just finished watching this movie. In the interest of full disclosure, it was split up into two different viewings. The reason for this is one of my biggest criticisms of this movie which is, it is two and a half hours long.

3.5/10

Thanks...I agree, if it's not a caliber movie Like The Departed, LOTR (or other movies of that epicness), it has no business being over 2 hours...  Your assessment confirms my decision to not watch this movie a smart one... Sandler's time is pretty much over IMHO...

Another movie I watched last night was:
    Jackie Brown
    WWW.IMDB.COM
    Jackie Brown (1997) - IMDb
    Directed by Quentin Tarantino. With Pam Grier, Samuel L. Jackson,...

Was enjoyable... Slower paced than I thought, and not as much violence as expected from a Quentin Tarantino film but good nevertheless.  Pretty much an all starcast.

The story is pretty much straightforward with no twists. It's not that you can't figure out what's going to happen, but HOW it's going to happen... NO suprises...

6/10
    (This post was last modified: 02-26-2019, 08:15 PM by LZA.)
    I just watched Brwester's Millions. It is a fairly cool little film from the '80s if you want something light to watch. Fairly predictable, but funny enough at times.

WWW.IMDB.COM
    Brewster's Millions (1985) - IMDb
    Directed by Walter Hill. With Richard Pryor, John Candy, Lonette...

5/10
    LZA liked this post
    Avengers: Endgame
    WWW.IMDB.COM
    Avengers: Endgame (2019) - IMDb
    Directed by Anthony Russo, Joe Russo. With Robert Downey Jr., Chris...

10/10

Easily the best Superhero movie I've seen, dethroning Logan. Almost 3 hours, it's got everything. Humor, sadness, action, special effects, and twists. I don;t think it could have been done any better if they tried.
    (17 minutes ago)LZA Wrote:  Avengers: Endgame
    [...]
    10/10

Wow. That's high praise.

Okay, I'm gonna have to put this on my shortlist of movies to watch. Thanks, @LZA Yay