• Search
  • Member List
  • Help
  • Random Thread
  • Image Feed

Movies Films You've Watched Recently
    The Bodyguard (1992)

Sometimes I know exactly what I want to watch. Other times I just looking for something to catch my interest as I scroll through what has become endless lists of movies that I own, or have access to on one of the several services I use. Not sure what made me choose this one, but all-in-all, it was a good choice.

Like most people my age, I saw this film when it came out, or thereabouts. Houston and Costner both had phenomenal careers at the time, she for her music; he for his acting career. So, it was a brilliant call to put them onscreen and give them a romantic canvas with which to work. Nearly two decades later, it still holds up pretty well. The thing about film is that a person is more than just what they look like from a certain angle. These two larger-than-life damn-near-superheroes are captured in this film at or near their best. No matter how relevant they are in culture today, in this film, they are forever trapped in amber, just as they were.

If you think about it, I have barely even mentioned the movie other than these two— that's because they are the movie. The other characters may as well have been cardboard cutouts littered around the set for all that they added to the film. This one is a pure boy-meets-girl scenario in which even the adorable little smart kid can't steal the show.

The Bodyguard (1992)
    Directed by Mick Jackson. With Kevin Costner, Whitney Houston, Gary Kemp, Bill Cobbs. A former Secret Service agent takes on the job of bodyguard to an R&B singer, whose lifestyle is most unlike a President's.

6/10

poster
    [Image: 6iX6zgT.jpg]
    Rain Man (1988)

It is so rare to watch a movie again, and find it better than you remembered. This was that film, for me.

I saw this as a young child— likely around the time it hit the pay per view circuit, so maybe '92-'93. My takeaway was typical: walking around saying that I was an "excellent driver" and pretending that I could do math at light speed and was super-smart.

Watching it as an adult was so much more meaningful. In this film, Cruise's arc was expertly executed, causing the viewer to feel his position and acknowledge his growth throughout this wild ride. Hoffman couldn't have done a better job. His character is somehow simultaneously extremely difficult and completely lovable.

While younger me laughed a lot, old-ass me thought about what I would do if I was told such news. How would I respond? How would I feel? When it all wraps up, the takeaway seems to be that life is never so simple as to have a neat conclusion.

Rain Man (1988)
    Directed by Barry Levinson. With Dustin Hoffman, Tom Cruise, Valeria Golino, Gerald R. Molen. Selfish yuppie Charlie Babbitt's father left a fortune to his savant brother Raymond and a pittance to Charlie; they travel cross-country.

9/10

poster
    [Image: yifx9Ah.jpg]
    The Highwaymen (2019)

I am not exactly sure why I like movies that depict aging tough guys, so much. Yet, I do.

There is something about an old codger that was once hell on wheels— and is still no chump, that gets my attention. Harrelson and Costner handle the role well: accepting their age without leaning on it so hard that it dominates the film. A big fan of both actors, I was drawn in by their star power, but kept there by their chemistry. I don't recall ever having seen the two of the cast so closely together in a film, but they really do make a great pair.

Oh yeah, the movie Tongue

The film is about two former Texas Rangers who had been "cancelled" when the current governor shut down the Rangers completely. Bonnie and Clyde are the two most famous outlaws in the world, at that time, and because of the public admiration, there were very little clues to their movements or plans. Law enforcement from Federal to local were stumped. These two rangers were old school and their methods were viewed as a last ditch effort to bring the duo to justice.

I can't point out one of the most powerful moves of the film without spoiling, but I'll just say that the film keeps its cards close to it chest. Once it all wraps up, you may notice what I mean when I say that. This stands is stark contrast to the way the common folk celebrate these miscreants.

I am glad to have seen this one.

Directed by John Lee Hancock. With Kevin Costner, Woody Harrelson, Kathy Bates, John Carroll Lynch. The untold true story of the legendary detectives who brought down Bonnie and Clyde.

7.5/10

poster
    [Image: qABVfIU.jpg]
    Changing Lanes (2002)

This was the first time I had seen this movie, and truthfully, I had never even heard of it, before. It was well worth my time.

Affleck caught a lot of shit in the past about his acting...and maybe I am biased because of Jersey Girl, but I like him. His acting is a little forced, sometimes. And he wasn't good as Batman, but in this movie, he does a really good job in handling the role of a privileged guy who feels out of place with his lot in life.

Samuel L. Jackson plays Doyle Gipson, a husband and father who has seen better days. At risk of losing his family, an encounter with Affleck's character, Gavin Banek, pushes him over the edge and then the fun begins.

A good supporting cast, a fevered pitch, and a nice ending that I didn't see coming, all make for a nice ride. Gonna be honest and say this doesn't seem to be the kind of film I'd watch again, but I am still glad I saw it.

Directed by Roger Michell. With Ben Affleck, Samuel L. Jackson, Kim Staunton, Toni Collette. The story of what happens one day in New York City, when a young lawyer and a businessman share a small automobile accident on F.D.R. Drive, and their mutual road rage escalates into a feud.

6.5/10

poster
    [Image: u4xok7a.jpg]
    LZA liked this post
    ^^^ I saw parts of it.  Affleck said "better luck next time, pal" then F-with his credit rating. I've been meaning to watch the whole thing!

Directed by Martin Scorsese. With Robert De Niro, Jerry Lewis, Diahnne Abbott, Sandra Bernhard. Rupert Pupkin is a passionate yet unsuccessful comic who craves nothing more than to be in the spotlight and to achieve this, he stalks and kidnaps his idol to take the spotlight for himself.

Another great Deniro performance... He's got the deranged actor down pat. Sandra Bernhard was also great as a psycho stalker. I don't like Jerry Lewis as a rule, but he was decent here. He plays the obnoxious celebrity prick well, probably since that's how I heard he is in real life

Seems like everyone has watched this movie but me. I also like the trip down memory lane as far as it being in the 80s. worth a watch

6/10
    (This post was last modified: 04-20-2020, 11:49 AM by LZA.)
    wildcard liked this post
    I've never seen that one. I will add it to my list.

Thanks, @LZA
    (04-20-2020, 12:50 PM)wildcard Wrote:  I've never seen that one. I will add it to my list.

Thanks, @LZA

OH, I thought I was the only one. LOL... He is "unbalanced" but not evil like Travis Bickle. You almost feel sorry for him, and it kinda gives an insight into how these people can get a hero worship with celebrities.

You feel sorry for him in a pathetic sort of way
    42 (2013)

I had honestly never heard of this movie, but I spotted it on one of the streaming services and gave it a shot.

The story of Jackie Robinson is littered with horrific moments of intolerance and prejudice, but also some highlights of human beings being kind to one another. The strength of Robinson's resolve is something to see in this film. A truly inspiring story.

However, some of it is a little bit hokey. There are moments that occur in this story (set in the 1940's) where white guys are threatening other racist white guys if they disrespect Jackie that just doesn't ring true for me. This is not even the 50's yet (not like they were that much better) and they make it look like 10% of the team were willing to publicly support Robinson? I would absolutely love to believe that, but I don't. Not at all.

I grew up in the southern US in the nineties and there was still tons of people that were stuck in their racist ways— some, even to this day. I find it disingenuous to represent it the way they did. Yes, there would have been white guys that did not have a heart filled with hatred, but even most of them would have kept quiet for fear of retribution.

They wanted the movie to have more "feel good" in it, but I think the manner they chose robs Robinson of some of the respect he deserves for standing his ground when almost everyone was against him. It takes away from his wife, who stood by his side through it all. Give the credit where it belongs: to the legend, Jackie Robinson.

P.S. Harrison Ford is so good in this movie that it took me ten minutes to realize it was him.
    42 (2013)
    Directed by Brian Helgeland. With Chadwick Boseman, T.R. Knight, Harrison Ford, Nicole Beharie. In 1947, Jackie Robinson becomes the first African-American to play in Major League Baseball in the modern era when he was signed by the Brooklyn Dodgers and faces considerable racism in the process.

5.5/10

poster
    [Image: vl7svgn.jpg]
    Some movies i that i watched recently.

Taxi (2004)

Plot: A mouthy and feisty taxicab driver has hot tips for a green and inept cop set on solving a string of New York City bank robberies committed by a quartet of female Brazilian bank robbers.

The film stars Queen Latifah and Jimmy Fallon and is quite fun to watch. I was a bit surprised by the 4.5 rating on imdb.

The movie is apparently a remake of Luc Besson's film of the same title, which has a higher rating.

Jimmy Fallon as the 'failed' cop is quite funny and natural.

The attraction of the movie is 4 attractive thieves including Gisele Bündchen. That's an incentive to watch the movie !

Taxi (2004)
    Directed by Tim Story. With Queen Latifah, Jimmy Fallon, Gisele Bündchen, Henry Simmons. A mouthy and feisty taxicab driver has hot tips for a green and inept cop set on solving a string of New York City bank robberies committed by a quartet of female Brazilian bank robbers.

7/10

Other movies that i watched. Liked them all.

Directed by Joe Cornish. With Louis Ashbourne Serkis, Denise Gough, Dean Chaumoo, Tom Taylor. A band of kids embark on an epic quest to thwart a medieval menace.

G-Force (2009)
    Directed by Hoyt Yeatman. With Will Arnett, Penélope Cruz, Zach Galifianakis, Bill Nighy. A specially trained squad of guinea pigs is dispatched to stop a diabolical billionaire from taking over the world.

Spy (2015)
    Directed by Paul Feig. With Melissa McCarthy, Rose Byrne, Jude Law, Jason Statham. A desk-bound CIA analyst volunteers to go undercover to infiltrate the world of a deadly arms dealer, and prevent diabolical global disaster.

Directed by Cedric Gibbons, James C. McKay, Jack Conway. With Johnny Weissmuller, Maureen O'Sullivan, Neil Hamilton, Paul Cavanagh. The idyllic life of Tarzan and Jane is challenged by men on safari who come seeking ivory, and come seeking Jane as well.

Directed by Rob Minkoff. With Jackie Chan, Jet Li, Michael Angarano, Juana Collignon. A discovery made by a kung fu obsessed American teen sends him on an adventure to China, where he joins up with a band of martial arts warriors in order to free the imprisoned Monkey King.

This movie has a lot of goodies in the form of words of wisdom

Here's a sample.

If one does not attach himself to people and desires, never shall his heart be broken... But then, does he ever truly live? I'd rather die a mortal, with a care for someone, than to live as an immortal free from his death.

Learn the form, but seek the formless. Hear the soundless. Learn it all, then forget it all. Learn The Way, then find your own way.

The Silent Monk: Learn the form, but seek the formless. Hear the soundless. Learn it all, then forget it all. Learn The Way, then find your own way.

Am sorry am unable to write a review for all of them. But all the movies are good entertainment is all i can think of saying.
    (This post was last modified: 05-28-2020, 11:27 PM by radiobox.)

Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long -- Ogden Nash
    wildcard and LZA liked this post
    Hoosiers (1986)

Gene Hackman does a great job in this very typical sports movie. The story is tired, I will admit: small town team gets a new basketball coach and he struggles for victory and acceptance, which are of course linked tightly. I've given it a good score in spite of the very overused plot because in spite of there being virtually no surprises in this movie, I came away from it feeling very satisfied with the entire affair.

The supporting cast isn't star-studded, but everyone works seamlessly together to make the story come to life. The many beautiful shots of The Prairie State contrasted with the blood-pumping shots of the gameplay was well done. The score was not memorable, but maybe that is a good thing. Sometimes the music does its job so well that you don't even notice it.

But this movie is really all Hackman.

He is tough, fair, and charismatic. His character takes no shit from anyone, while somehow being an approachable and interesting man. Again, no surprises here, but I think it is well worth watching.

Hoosiers (1986)
    Directed by David Anspaugh. With Gene Hackman, Barbara Hershey, Dennis Hopper, Sheb Wooley. A coach with a checkered past and a local drunk train a small town high school basketball team to become a top contender for the championship.

6.5/10

poster
    [Image: CwrYDF1.jpg]