• Search
  • Member List
  • Help
  • Random Thread

• Movies: Films You've Watched Recently
    (06-04-2019, 06:21 PM)LZA Wrote:  Ya, Westerns never did it for me... I was more into car movies/shows. Dukes of Hazzard, Starsky and Hutch, Knight Rider, etc. I think the old-time way they lived bums me out... Outhouses and if you get shot you get to bite down on a strap after swigging whiskey. Almost medieval... I know that sounds stupid, maybe that's why I could never get into it...

It's interesting. Your list of why you don't like it is my list of why I do.

I have always liked the primitive. I go camping when I can because I enjoy a dose making myself comfortable without all the gadgets and entertainment. When I get away from all the distractions, I find that boredom will have me dragging big rocks around to make a good seat; digging a pit for the fire, so that I can cook without getting ashes blown into my food; or just kicking back and imagining what it would be like if I actually live out there in the wilderness all alone.

That's a big part of why I like frontier stories. It has always been amazing to me how those pioneers made it work. Some by hard work and sweat, and others by skill with a gun.
    I watched Galveston last night.

It was almost enthralling, from beginning to end. Almost.

What a great, action-packed, emotion film...with a lackluster, boring ending. I obviously won't spoil it, but while it doesn't make me want to dissuade people from watching it, and it will still get a decent score from me, it did leave me a little bit disappointed.

WWW.IMDB.COM
    Galveston (2018) - Imdb
    Directed by Mélanie Laurent. With Ben Foster, Jeffrey Grover,...

6/10
    The Hunt for Red October (1990)

I've seen this movie a few times, already, but I just got it in 4K, so I wanted to review. That's one thing about the 4K craze that I like — it reminds of great movies that I would otherwise not get a chance to see again.

Anyway, if you still haven't seen this classic, you really should take the time to watch it. Sean Connery is excellent as always, and although he is a Scottish actor trying to play a Lithuanian higher-up in the Russian Navy...and the accent doesn't match at all...you forget all about it five minutes in. Also, Scott Glen is in this movie. He is always good.

Finally, it is hard to believe that Alec Baldwin played such an awesome Jack Ryan...I mean, for fuck's sake, he is awesome in this movie. There was an interesting moment for me during a conference table scene that I first felt a twinge of cliche from, but then I realized that it only felt cliche for me because I first saw someone use that particular device in a film during that time period...lol sort of reverse snobbery w/ a helping of actual snobbery Tongue

WWW.IMDB.COM
    The Hunt For Red October (1990) -...
    Directed by John McTiernan. With Sean Connery, Alec Baldwin,...

8/10
    LZA liked this post
    I just finished watching The Fisher King (1991)

I love Jeff Bridges. So, I was already biased in favor of this movie before watching it. I am also a sucker for sappy, everything-works-out movies, so take that into consideration, but I like it.

I had never seen it before, and having seen a few movies with the rich-person-takes-up-with-poor-person strategy, this is done well. There is an element of the ludicrous in the movie that you sort of have to look over, though.

Not the best, but a pretty good choice for movie night, all the same.

Show
    Robin Williams' wang makes an appearance in this film, to my surprise/disgust/vicarious embarrassment...
    WWW.IMDB.COM
    The Fisher King (1991) - Imdb
    Directed by Terry Gilliam. With Jeff Bridges, Robin Williams,...

6.5/10
    Ma, a silly B-horror about a crazy old black lady stalking teens, and Godzilla: King of the Monsters, an enjoyable bit of monster movie trash.
    I had seen Mr. Destiny (1990) before, years ago, but after watching it again tonight, I am pleasantly surprised by how well this movie held up. I have been a fan of Mr. Belushi ever since I found a dubbed copy of Real Men on VHS at my grandmother's house. Although the younger Belushi isn't exactly an A-lister, I've still always loved his persona — even if it is a little bit corny.

This film seems to be Belushi at his most sincere. Michael Caine is always brilliant and I have always been in love with Linda Hamilton. Story-wise, this is really just It's a Wonderful Life cleverly retold, but it is still good entertainment. A little over halfway through, I was ready to give this a 5, but the ending was done really, really well. Even though it was a little cheesy, I guess, it really got me in the feels. I went away from this movie very glad that I chose to watch it tonight.

WWW.IMDB.COM
    Mr. Destiny (1990) - Imdb
    Directed by James Orr. With Jim Belushi, Linda Hamilton, Michael...

6.5/10
    Plenty O’Toole liked this post
    Something from Nothing: The Art of Rap (2012)

I had heard about this one from @Spud17 (I think) a while back. I enjoy hearing about almost anything related to classic hip hop, so I enjoyed the majority of what I saw. I'll be honest, there is only so much I can take of Ice T, though. I don't know why, but that guy just grates on my nerves.

Another criticism is that certain artists in the video seemed to be telling inflated versions of their stories and again, Ice T seems to be overdoing it on the laughter most of time when ain't nobody said shit funny.

If you are a hip hop head on any level, then it is a must-see, regardless of how you feel about Ice T.

WWW.IMDB.COM
    Something From Nothing: The Art Of...
    Directed by Ice-T, Andy Baybutt. With Ice-T, Dr. Dre, Chuck D,...

6/10
    LZA liked this post
    Was this a torrent or YouTube vid?

I found this:

It's the directors cut so I guess he's talking throughout it all...''

As I'm watching I see his overreactions...Don't know if that's him trying to drum up excitement or me being influenced by your power of suggestion.

Olefin Tutuola doesn't bother me though! Big Grin I see Lord Jamal is the 1st interview... He's an excellent rapper but he can talk shit...

I'll give my rating once I'm done watching it!

Thanks for the suggestion!
    (This post was last modified: 07-10-2019, 07:14 PM by LZA.)
    I thought it was good! Brought back memories.

8/10
    I saw Men in Black International and it reminded me most forcefully of Saturday morning cartoons I watched as a kid. 1.5/4. As a movie it's nothing, operating at that Inspector Gadget level of a basic plot connecting cute visuals. That's fine for a 10 to 20 minute show consumed with breakfast cereal, not so much for a 2 hour film that can cost upwards of 10 quid to get into.

The first Men in Black was a funny and fresh riff on the template for big-budget action comedies established by Ghostbusters. It was a mix of several genres - humour, sci-fi, buddy cop, even a little horror (the alien-possessed farmer and his fondness for sugared water still icks me out) - and perhaps more importantly its world had grit.

This new one is just a glossy, empty package.