• Search
  • Member List
  • Help
  • Random Thread

• FCC Suggests 988 As New Suicide Prevention Hotline
    WWW.REUTERS.COM
    Fcc Suggests '988' As New Suicide
    Prevention Hotline

Quote:WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Federal Communications Commission staffers recommended the agency designate “988” as a new phone number for the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline in place of the current 10-digit number, the FCC said on Thursday.

The current phone number for the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is 1-800-273-8255. The 10-digit number received over 2 million calls in 2018, the FCC said.

A division of the FCC sent a report to Congress on Wednesday recommending the change to a shorter number because it “would likely make it easier for Americans in crisis to access potentially life-saving resources.”
    That's an idea that makes sense. A number you don't need to remember in case it's needed...
    (08-18-2019, 08:55 PM)LZA Wrote:  A number you don't need to remember

Ummm...you still need to remember it. Tongue

Seriously though, not a bad idea. Is it bad that I am wracking my brain for a pun...Angel
    the fcc's expertise at making people wish for their own demise in unrivaled.

the 988 number is probably just for quality assurance purposes.

"Yeah. I understand the mechanics of it, shithead. I just don't understand how this is any less retarded than what I'm suggesting." - Kiley; Housebound.
    Wildcard liked this post