• Search
  • Member List
  • Help
  • Random Thread

• Ebooks Purchased From Microsoft Will Be Deleted This Month
    Ebooks Purchased From Microsoft Will Be Deleted This Month Because You Don't Really Own Anything Anymore

Quote:Anyone who bought ebooks through the Microsoft Store is in for a rude shock in the coming days. The good news? You can get a refund. The bad news? All of your books are going to be deleted this month.

Microsoft announced in April that it would stop selling ebooks and that any books the company already sold would stop working in early July because the DRM servers were being shut off. Yes, you read that correctly. Those books that you “bought” are going to disappear. Even the “free” books that you downloaded through Microsoft will be deleted.

GIZMODO.COM
    Ebooks Purchased From Microsoft Will
    Be Deleted This Month Because You Don't Really Own Anything...
    See this is why I still prefer print when it comes to books. I’m pretty sure the charity shops I buy books from can’t just up and decide to kick down my door and reclaim all my paperbacks.
    This is just another reason for people to pirate eBooks. Over and over, the entertainment industry makes it harder on people to use their services.

DRM on games makes legitimate copies unusable; limited size/quality/availability options make a lot of users w/ low bandwidth have to seek out pirated, low-resolution copies of the titles that they want to watch; and the exorbitant price of subscribing to all of the streaming services makes people just grab that TV series on TPB instead of going broke to watch the latest fill-in-the-blank-streaming-service show/movie.

@Plenty O’Toole, I actually prefer reading an honest-to-goodness book, too. I have books on my phone, though, and as I am rarely carrying around the hard copy, I am having to get used to eBooks.