• Search
  • Member List
  • Help
  • Random Thread

• TV Best Late Night Talk Show Host
    Tell us your favorite late night or other talk show host of all time.

I was watching some YouTube clips last night from various talk shows and it occurred to me that I have never really considered who my favorite talk show host was. I know a lot of people would choose Johnny Carson, but although I have seen a lot of clips of his show, he was before my time and I don't really relate to most of his content. I still recognize his place in history and his success.

Letterman is one of my favorites. He had a way of being an every-man while hobnobbing with the elite Hollywood players and extraordinary guests from all over the world. Much has been said about how Letterman was uncomfortable with his success and the pretentious nature of the business he was in, but I have watched hours of his show and I personally don't detect it.

He always seems in complete control of the conversation. The guest, no matter how prominent, seemed to be like clay for Dave to play with. All this and I haven't even mentioned how hilarious he is. He understands funny. Dave knew the same thing that Norm and many other awesome comedians know: play the dumb guy, no matter how smart you are.

I also love Conan. A completely different approach to the same kind of job, but Conan uses his proven wit to keep things interesting. As a huge Norm fan, I love Conan even more because he clearly (and vocally) loved Norm. The time period in which Norm was a frequent quest on the show is my favorite stretch.

His show was wild and unruly in the beginning. Eventually, he became the polished (if unorthodox) player that he is, today. I, however, prefer the early years because of that chaotic atmosphere. Some of the best TV, ever, imo.

With all of that in mind, I am gonna make my call. The best late night show host ever is Craig Ferguson.

I don't remember ever seeing The Late Late Show live, tbh. He was one of those entertainers that I discovered after he was at or near the end of his run. Having spent way too much time watching clips of his show, I find him to the most inviting and comfortable host of them all. His banter, especially with the ladies, is not only side-splittingly funny, but a master class in flirting. I give him major points for his quick thinking, as well.

Some of the best lines in his show come trailing after an innocent comment from one of his guests that he immediately redirects to an out-of-nowhere joke that kills. He is as smooth as polished marble and, perhaps what makes him stand out so much, he is a man of the world– not just the US. Guests that came to his show were often delightfully surprised that he was more than familiar with their home country or place of birth than they might have expected.

I'm gonna drop a clip, below, and clips are fine in this thread. However, this isn't meant to be a video thread.

I love Mr. Wick (Ferguson), but I grew up with Letterman and thats's where the nostalgia lies... I even will watch old Carson.

I'll admit, I like Conan better when he came out; Letterman started getting too Hollywood.

There is a factor of the time slot. O'Brien and Ferguson had a later one so the humor could be more raw so to speak.
    wildcard liked this post
    (10-20-2021, 04:38 PM)LZA Wrote:  I love Mr. Wick (Ferguson), but I grew up with Letterman and thats's where the nostalgia lies...

Don't get me wrong, I love Letterman. And in terms of overall influence on the industry and popularity, I have no doubt that Dave is the better choice, but I just find Ferguson to have been the most comfortable in his job.

(10-20-2021, 04:38 PM)LZA Wrote:  There is a factor of the time slot. O'Brien and Ferguson had a later one so the humor could be more raw so to speak.

You make an excellent point. Letterman and Leno (whom I didn't mention because I despise him as a person, even if he was a good host) had to play by a slightly different set of rules— not just because of the time slot, but also because they were much bigger with more people to answer to.

Still overall, I am sticking with Craig.
    (10-21-2021, 07:45 AM)wildcard Wrote:  e I despise him as a person, even if he was a good host) had to play by a slightly different set of rules— not just because of the time slot, but also because they were much bigger with more people to answer to.

Still overall, I am sticking with Craig.

Letterman agrees.... Craig was part of Letterman's Worldwide Pants corp.
    Also, I don't know if we can respectfully debate about the WORST talk show host as we will be in AGREEMENT!!!!!!

JAMES CORDON SUCKS DEAD DONKEY BALLS...
    wildcard liked this post
    (10-26-2021, 01:21 PM)LZA Wrote:  JAMES CORDON SUCKS DEAD DONKEY BALLS...

No argument. He is straight trash.

Brings up a good point, though. I forgot all about The Graham Norton Show. I love this dude. So fucking relaxed and funny.

LZA liked this post