• Search
  • Member List
  • Help
  • Random Thread

• Atheists need not apply?
    (09-11-2013, 09:44 AM)snilloc Wrote:  Why do Americans have to abbreviate place names are you not proud of where you live or is it laziness?

Why can you not stick to the topic? Are you proud of your ignorance or is it just laziness? Wink

Off Topic

People will always have weird ideas and most of the time those in authority will push for their own weird sentiments to reign supreme . . . it is the way of the world.
    (09-11-2013, 10:10 AM)Wildcard Wrote:  
    (09-11-2013, 09:44 AM)snilloc Wrote:  Why do Americans have to abbreviate place names are you not proud of where you live or is it laziness?

Why can you not stick to the topic? Are you proud of your ignorance or is it just laziness? Wink

Off Topic

People will always have weird ideas and most of the time those in authority will push for their own weird sentiments to reign supreme . . . it is the way of the world.

Off Topic
    Sorry didn't mean to go off topic but if I could understand what people were talking about it would be a help.

Sometimes American terminology is like a foreign language. WTF
    The thread is about lifestyles and a common language is part of it, isn't it?
    (This post was last modified: 09-11-2013, 10:42 AM by snilloc.)
    I was thinking that too. Since most people from England use full names instead of short names...(ex: Christopher instead of Chris, Richard instead of Rick, Ricky, or Dick)

CT instead of Connecticut. When I used to work in the insurance world, I used 2 character abbreviations for all 50 states. In the past, the abbreviations were a little different (Connecticut was Conn, shortened to CT-Alabama was Ala, shortened to AL)

I'd say it's done mostly for efficiency and easiness (for business and such) but the easiness is negated when you accidentally put the wrong letter in...

I'm guessing since there are not as many individual countries in Europe, and they are separate from each other you guys don't need them.

For instance, pretend all cities in England were separate states, Then I would guess London would be LN, Birmingham can be BI or BH... easier to categorize I guess...

Oops, I can't delete this... If I could I would, and send to him in a PM...

I keep thinking about @sporkium 's point... Ya they are blue laws no longer to be enforced, and ferderal law supersedes but is it that hard to remove a law from the books? They should update just for the purposes of data integrity, no? We can say "ya we dismiss that part because it's old and stupid" But why should we say that about any of our American documents... Just saying, cleanup would be nice...
    (This post was last modified: 09-11-2013, 02:15 PM by LZA.)
    yes, it is that hard. it's easier and cheaper to ignore an issue than to address it.

"Yeah. I understand the mechanics of it, shithead. I just don't understand how this is any less retarded than what I'm suggesting." - Kiley; Housebound.
    All states in the US and all provinces of Canada have non-conflicting two character abbreviations.
    It is only folks from outside North America who find the system difficult to understand.

Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.
    - Robert A. Heinlein
    (09-11-2013, 11:34 PM)velvetfog Wrote:  All states in the US and all provinces of Canada have non-conflicting two character abbreviations.
    It is only folks from outside North America who find the system difficult to understand.

Off Topic

Fistfull of xanax