• Search
  • Member List
  • Help
  • Random Thread

• Discussion An Old Man's Guide To Buying PC Games
    [Image: 6282.png]

You live; you learn.

You live a really long time; you start to figure it out.

I started playing games on PC since the entire screen had exactly 64,000 pixels, however, I openly admit that I have not been buying games for very long, at all. I only started buying a lot of games in the last 5-6 years. When I started streaming on Twitch, it made me look for new games in a way that I never have. I starting playing games that I had never even tried, like Rocket League and COD because viewers were asking to see me play them. I pre-purchased new releases (like CyberPunk and Cold War) so that I could do a release party and engage my viewers. I bought and played community games that are absolutely worthless without a bunch of people to play with.

In all of that time and purchasing all of those games (largely made possible by subs and donations from my kind viewers), I did learn quite a bit about how to avoid getting burned, and also how to get the same game without letting go of so much of your hard-earned dough.

First of all, lets start with the free stuff. I have a list of games on my Steam in the triple digits, mostly because there are dozens of games in that list that I got completely free, just by keeping up with online lists that show which game developer is giving away (or heavily discounting) their games. PC Magazine did a piece on this a while back, but I just hang out in a couple of Discords that happen to have a frequent poster that reports every time someone is giving away a game. Examples (all free): Remnant, PGA Tour 2K21, NBA 2K20, the entire Elder Scrolls game series except Skyrim, and tons of other games that I can't think of.

But my main advice is this: Just chill. It is a mistake to pre-order any video game, ever...well, at least from anything but a truly fervent fan's perspective. If you can't live without the extras that come along with a pre-order, then more power to you. But, if you just want the video game and to get as much out of it as possible, then I would highly recommend just putting it on your Steam wish list and trying to forget about it.

I allow Steam to email me about items on my wish list and while it results in a little more junk mail, occasionally they will drop a game down to the point of being too good to pass up– or they will just be giving the game away for free. Example: I put Red Dead Redemption 2 on my wish list upon release (in the last part of 2018.) The Deluxe version was $120.00 and on Thanksgiving Day I got an email offering the exact same version for $39.99

If you can just be patient, you can make it work for you.

Also, games (like the aforementioned CyberPunk 2077) are sometimes buggy as hell when they first release. In this case, patience carries with it the added virtue of allowing the developers time to work out the issues. So, I got a much better experience with Red Dead Redemption 2 for less than half of the price.

Plot Twist
    I am shill for Steam LMAO