Current time: 08-18-2017, 07:43 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
thank God for art
02-01-2012, 10:14 AM
thank God for art
Art has always been important in my life. When I had nothing else I have always had my writing (even that has been taken from me only to be replaced). I have never been a musician and I am a fairly decent sketch artist. Many different aspects of the arts have played signifigant roles in my development as an adult. One song that I will always remember and "feel" is BED OF LIES by Matchbox 20. Although music is not one of my talents, it seems that this song imprinted on me more than most of my writing or drawing or the writing and drawing of others. I love Shakespeare and King but I can't say that they have changed my life. I love van Gough and Dali as well but neither have they influened my development as a human being. So...thank you Rob Thomas. Thank you for "marking it down to learnin"

Fistfull of xanax
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-16-2012, 01:43 AM
RE: thank God for art
"Thank God for art." INDEED! I can't tell you how many songs, poems, dramas, have helped me get through some of my most memorable moments. Like these days. . . My theme song is that new song by Drake "So proud", because even though it is a hip-hop song, which most people wouldn't consider very inspirational, the words are just motivation to my ears to push through and obtain my goals. Idk, maybe it's a female college kid thing... but I digress. And today I read a poem that has been on my mind all day long. It's really famous, most of you have probably heard it sometime in your life.
Invictus:
Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley

SO powerful....the last 2 lines, and then the line about "my head is bloody, but unbowed"
ugh...just gives me goosebumps. I can totally relate to this and apply it to many situations. I'll say it again. THANK GOD FOR THE ARTS! without stuff like this to give me encouragment, I'd be a sad little person.

"Let the music be your master. Will you heed the master's call?"
02-16-2012, 08:27 AM
The arts . . . quite a broad stroke. I would say I'm thankful for words first and music second.

I have always loved words. Even when I was a kid running around Alabama climbing trees and catching bugs, I always found myself staying up too late reading. Then along came music.

It was there from the beginning, nagging at my mind, but until I was around eight or nine, I'd only listened. My family had a bluegrass gospel band and traveled around the southeast putting on 'singings' . . . it's odd to realize now that 'singings' is such an odd thing to call church concerts, but that's what they were called.

Once I picked up the bass guitar I was hooked on making sounds that sounded like music- that's all I could do at first. Then one day, one a mandolin, or a guitar or piano or something, I made just enough 'good music' that I was hooked. Before long I discovered that my new found love for music and my long time love for words made more sense together than I'd ever realized.

So I'm thankful for all the arts, true enough- but I have a couple of favorites. Smile

Wildcard is awesome.
02-19-2012, 01:14 AM
I tend to think of the arts as just another way people express themselves, like conversation, sexuality or violence. And we can learn a great deal about our own hearts and minds from how an artist expresses himself. Art is as useful and important as anything else in this world, because it has the power to concentrate how we feel, which then informs our actions.
02-20-2012, 10:05 AM
art is using your imagination

consistency is the hobdob
of small minds[
02-20-2012, 11:29 AM
Well . . . art requires imagination, but art is the fruits of your imagination.

Wildcard is awesome.
02-20-2012, 01:10 PM
I love how I can look at a painting, or read a poem and feel like someone else. Poetry is the worst though because stupid people attempt it entirely too often and tend to think its good just on the basis of rhyme.

Fistfull of xanax
02-20-2012, 04:17 PM
It's not just stupid people. Smart people often think they've created a brilliant work just on thier basis of vocabulary.

"Let the music be your master. Will you heed the master's call?"
02-20-2012, 07:34 PM
A great example of what Kate's just described, in my opinion, is the novel Infinite Jest by the late David Foster Wallace, which I tried reading the other day and just can't abide. Pseudo-intellectual, overwritten, soulless trash. Sorry for the rant, but this is Rant CentralBig Grin
02-20-2012, 09:13 PM
(02-20-2012 01:10 PM)LannisterHater Wrote:  I love how I can look at a painting, or read a poem and feel like someone else. Poetry is the worst though because stupid people attempt it entirely too often and tend to think its good just on the basis of rhyme.
it's the emotion it evokes,not the rhyme that interests me,same with looking at art

consistency is the hobdob
of small minds[

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)