Current time: 09-22-2014, 03:10 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
our new robot overlords...
10-05-2013, 01:39 AM
our new robot overlords...
for anyone that's interested, you can see a lot of robotic projects here: http://www.bostondynamics.com/

[Image: original.gif]

the image posted above is of 'wildcat' (robopig for the uninitiated)... it has a top speed of 16 miles an hour... which (fortunately) most of us can out run. however, if used in conjunction with their other robots... say 'bigdog' (robocow for the uninitiated)... which has a top speed of 4 miles per hour... but can lift more than 350 lbs and can drag you away or throw cinder blocks at you... you're fucked.

they also have other robots that they can use to ruin your day...

the 'cheetah' which has a top speed of more than 26 miles per hour...

a six legged menace that can climb walls...

a four wheeled thingy that can jump 30 feet into the air...

a four flippered thingamabobber that can operate on any terrain...

two humanoid type robots...

they have the 'ls3' (robofuckingox for the uninitiated) which can carry more than 400 lbs of gear and visually track and follow it's leader (or target)...

oh, and they have a 'little dog' too (roborat) that can sneak around and spy on you.

currently... all of these robots are unarmed... at the moment...

but, before anything goes down, i would like to be the first to welcome our new robot overlords.

the technology is no doubt impressive, but progress is the exact reason why we need guns. lots of guns and now! okay... so the robots operating on battery power can be easily dispatched with a bat or other blunt... swinging weapon... the gasoline powered engine robots on the other hand will be more difficult. from experience... a 50 cal. from a safe distance into the engine block should disable it... and this is assuming that they haven't been armed yet.

[Image: LS3-AlphaDog6reduced.jpg]
[Image: LS3-AlphaDog_reduced.png]
[Image: LS3x2.lr.jpg]
ls3 (bigfuckingrobothing)

[Image: Atlas-p1red.jpg]
ready to destroy pose
[Image: Atlas-p2_nt.jpg]
human domination swag pose
[Image: Atlas-p3.jpg]
dead human victory pose

[Image: cheetah_reduced.jpg]
cheetah

[Image: BigDog_Snow.png]
[Image: BigDog_GuadalcanalMuddyClimb.png]
[Image: BigDog_Beach.png]
[Image: DynamicManipulation2.jpg]
bigdog (robocow)

[Image: SandFlea4.jpg]
[Image: SandFlea-Sequence-C2_Oct-27-2011.png]
the jumping thing

[Image: RHex_Mud.png]
[Image: RHex-BostonDynamics1.jpg]
flipper thing

[Image: Rise_Climb.png]
wall climbing thingy

[Image: LittleDog.png]
rat dog thingy

oh... did i mention that a some of these things don't require human intervention to operate? neat! just add in the current aerial and nautical drones in use and you have an entire robotic army. Smile

[in reference to embrace and other washington d.c. emo-core bands]
"the stupidest fucking thing I've ever heard in my entire life." - Thrasher Magazine, 1985
Find all posts by this user + Spud17
Quote this message in a reply
10-05-2013, 01:28 PM
RE: our new robot overlords...
I love the boston dynamics robots, they're cool, sexy, fascinating, and frightening. When you look at pics of the various robots, they don't seem all that scary, and some of the gifs are glossy, clever, and even amusing. Here's a couple of wildcat gifs:

[Image: 47971_ro1.gif]

[Image: 29367_ro3.gif]
Now watch this video of the wildcat in action, and tell me you're not scared...

^^ what would make that even creepier would be a silent version, mind you, the thought of just 20 of these noisy buggers coming at you...

How about the PETMAN? Watch it walk, stretch, do press ups, then imagine 1000s of these fuckers coming to a town near you:

Someone put an Author & Punisher tune to a DARPA video of a couple of robots, and if industrial doom metal is not your cup of tea, you can always mute the sound, although I personally think they go perfectly together.

^^ Watch the way the BigDog balances itself when kicked by the DARPA guy, carry a 150lb load with ease, and if you're thinking of going off-road somewhere to avoid them, think again... rocks, no problem, but it seems to struggle on steep inclines (*spud makes notes in her skynet apocalypse survival handbook*). Having said that, some amazing things have come from darpa, and I can see potential for some of these bots being handy in a crisis such as an earthquake. About 4 + 1/2 mins into the vid, there are some robots of sorts from another company, looks like samsung but haven't verified it, and while they're nothing like the darpa ones, the ones shooting bullets onto a target with accuracy are quite worrying.

I'm off to my bunker for a bit...

Find all posts by this user
12-15-2013, 12:23 PM
Google buys Boston Dynamics....

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/14/techno...l?_r=1&;

This can't be good... my bunker beckons...

12-15-2013, 11:21 PM
[Image: shortcircuit.jpg?w=188]

The extermination of humanity is at hand!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)