Current time: 08-21-2017, 01:29 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
locating a lost mobile phone - possible ?
05-20-2014, 08:03 AM (This post was last modified: 05-20-2014 08:03 AM by radiobox.)
locating a lost mobile phone - possible ?
Is it _possible_ to locate a lost mobile (the gadget), given the number alone.

I believe there is a certain IMEI number, but I do not have it noted anywhere.

This was a simple simple 2G phone (in backward India).

Can a mobile operator, look back on call records and get this IMEI and thus help track it ? If you can point me to a book or site which deals with this (data packet exchange) I can try and read up. Educative too. :-)

Any suggestions welcome. I just would like to be armed with info before I approach the network operators/cops for assistance.

I've been told to "let it go" as it was a lost cost mobile.
A cop I met said, "Sir we will try our best, if not we will give you any other similar phone that we 'capture' ". I ran away from him.

Thanks.

Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long -- Ogden Nash
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-20-2014, 08:08 AM
RE: locating a lost mobile phone - possible ?
LMAOLMAO

consistency is the hobdob
of small minds[
05-20-2014, 08:16 AM (This post was last modified: 05-20-2014 08:16 AM by radiobox.)
Tomorrow morning if a Yak chases you, you will know of my divine powers. :-)
I edited out the more yummy parts of that cop conversation. He started suspecting me and wanted my bio-data so to say. Typical cop. I almost decided, a lost mobile is better than approaching a cop.

OK. Some tech info might help pl :-)
PS: I have meanwhile blocked my number via network operator for safety.

Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long -- Ogden Nash
05-20-2014, 10:30 AM (This post was last modified: 05-20-2014 10:58 AM by radiobox.)
Found some info. 2G = GSM technology.
http://telcoantennas.com.au/site/guide-t...e-networks

And found a book on libgen: GSM - Architecture, Protocols and Services - 3e. Wiley. Unpronounceable 4 authors.
A cursory reading, holds out some hope for me. The IMEI is requested at registration, but may be obtained periodically too by the network provider (Sec 3.3.1). Yay! I can still understand tech stuff.

If you don't want to suffer my fate, I humbly suggest you google and do whatever is required to track your phone if lost/stolen. Knock on wood it doesn't happen, but better to stay safe and avoid the anxiety.

Don't store sensitive info in it ever.
One guy over here, stored his ATM card PIN etc and unluckily lost both his purse (containing the card) and mobile. His bank account was wiped clean in 10 minutes. /end-of-statutory-warning.

Ref:
"81 english pdf ebooks about GSM, GPRS, EDGE, UMTS, WCDMA, Antennas, Mobile Networks, Wireless, etc."
http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/7154139/GSM_UMTS_LTE

PS: Am feeling a lil queer answering my own questions. I should've proly googled first. (sheepish grin)

05-20-2014, 11:49 PM
When your phone is lost or stolen, you are unlikely to ever see it again.
Locating it is really only possible if you have locator software installed on it.
The phone number means nothing, since that is gone as soon as the SIM card is swapped in it.

Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.
- Robert A. Heinlein
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-21-2014, 12:22 AM
No, it is a very basic model. Not the newer type, where you can install the anti-theft software.
I heard some success stories from friends, but as of now I've given up hope of finding it.
I understand your last sentence, but I was hoping there would be something in the GSM protocol, which transmits phone-ID during some part of its usage. That would make it technically possible to locate the phone. But it is all a big headache, cops, customer care each asking many questions. Might as well get another one. I narrowed down the culprit to 2 persons, but think it won't get me anywhere. I should have been more careful. Thank you VF.

05-21-2014, 12:52 AM
I read an article on the web about a stolen Apple iPhone.
A woman in Oslo, Norway had her iPhone stolen from her purse.
She did, however, have anti-theft software installed on it, allowing her to determine the phone's location.
She was able to trace of her phone via the Internet a few weeks later.
The phone was then on a different number, and located in Kabul, Afghanistan.
She never did get the phone back, but she was able to remotely delete her pictures and personal files from it.

Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.
- Robert A. Heinlein
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-21-2014, 01:16 AM (This post was last modified: 05-21-2014 01:17 AM by radiobox.)
Hmm. I've heard/read too that, many electronic goods/binoculars and other costly items get stolen from tourists and such spots and they make it (here) into the black market. I used to buy low-priced DVDs from a guy years back. He would declare like a god "Tell me what you want. We can get it." He gave me a little insight into the modus-operandi, but wouldn't say more when I probed how he managed to get DVDs etc into the country. "Trade secret" he said.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Old style mobile phones are making a comeback velvetfog 11 8,421 06-14-2014 11:37 PM
Last Post: galileo

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)