Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"i am lonely will anyone speak to me"
On 14 July, 2004 a thread appeared on download site Moviecodec.com, called "i am lonely will anyone speak to me". The spot has since become popular with lonely people seeking companionship, inspiring its own forum, "A Lonely Life", and the quote which started it all has been used as a symbol for loneliness in the modern age.

Do you think more people are likely to be lonely in the information age, with greater means for us to be apart from each other, or is the opposite true, and our technology actually brings more of our lonely together?

[Image: 41573_160203080656775_5266_n.jpg]
"Can ever dissever my soul from the soul
Of the beautiful Annabel Lee." - Poe
I was watching this video of "Gary Turks" urging people poetically to de-degitize themselves.

I was certainly impressed by it, until i read the following critique.
Article

If the mind is occupied, i suppose one does not feel loneliness, regardless of age.
Being digitally connected to another person, surely seems to be helpful to some people.
Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long -- Ogden Nash
i dunno about this... i guess the question is this: to wear pants or not to wear pants.
"Yeah. I understand the mechanics of it, shithead. I just don't understand how this is any less retarded than what I'm suggesting." - Kiley; Housebound.
(02-20-2015, 07:14 PM)BrownJenkin Wrote: Do you think more people are likely to be lonely in the information age, with greater means for us to be apart from each other, or is the opposite true, and our technology actually brings more of our lonely together?

People have always felt loneliness, but the internet allows people to express those feelings of isolation and reach out to others, so while it can bring people together and let them know they're not alone, spending too much time talking to others can be detrimental to a person's afk life. Or is the opposite the case, when the online help a person receives actually motivates them in their afk life?

I'm having second thoughts and leaning towards the latter, after reading a thread by a woman who gave birth to an autistic son and only reached out to others years after his birth. I can't imagine how she coped on a daily basis on her own, with no social support whatsoever, no family, no friends, no peers of any kind. Using a computer to reach out to others, she sought help and received support in quantities she never knew existed.

I don't think it matters how a person reaches out for human contact - whether it's on the internet, pen-pals, joining a club of some sort to meet others - if their loneliness can be eased or lifted, even if for a short while, then it's a positive thing.

If that lonely forum helps just one person to know they're not alone, that they're not some sort of lone freak, then I'd say technology is for sure helping bring people together, even if in spirit only, and should be applauded for helping to ease the burderns of our fellow man.
"everyone wants to win but no one wants to drink a bucket of sj's piss" - bob5695
As far as providing an output for those who don't have the opportunity to create real life real life relationships, it is hard to find anything negative to say about it. When you are talking about healthy people, capable of making friends and in a community in which they can find some common ground, I believe there are many pitfalls.

Not to say that it is unhealthy to strike up friendships online. I am just talking about some of the issues that arise from the anonymous nature of the Internet.

You can never be certain of the veracity of a person online. People commonly create fabrications of their entire lives-- or even multiple 'lives' they live on the 'Net.

But not only is there the pitfall of losing touch with reality or spewing a bunch of bullshit out to impress people whom you likely will never know, there are other issues with not making contact with other people in your community-- not the least being that you may not have anyone to help you when you need them.

I have a lot of friends on the Internet that I truly admire, respect and in some cases love, but they can't come over and drive me to the hospital if I fall and break my back.

Most of you know that in the last few years I have spent a lot of time online, but that wasn't my only point of human contact either. There were times when I was depressed that I severely limited my real life human interaction. During those times I notice very negative changes in my personality and overall happiness. As corny as it may sound, fellowship is a necessity for most people if not all.
(02-21-2015, 04:37 PM)Wildcard Wrote: I have a lot of friends on the Internet that I truly admire, respect and in some cases love

I'd better be in that last category, bub!Hug

But seriously, you're right about the physical proximity being more useful in a practical sense. I don't think online communication is going to supersede the "real" any time soon, but I think of it as a really useful tool for bringing people together, including socially inept people. Like meBig Grin
"Can ever dissever my soul from the soul
Of the beautiful Annabel Lee." - Poe
When I was working, I liked going into the office to see people. But they realized they'd save $$ by making them homeworkers... I was a homeworker for a while. It was nice because you're at your home, but I still wanted that contact from people... The office was like a ghost town (they eventually sold the building). We were all still connected via phone , and instant messaging, but it wasn't the same...

So ya, I see it too, I don't consider my feelings at the time "lonely", but it was different. and I did miss the human interaction...
People tend to be so active on the internet that they vastly reduce their chances of striking up a friendship with other 'real' people. Feeling detached from the world can easily be cured by starting a conversation with someone at the nearest coffee shop. I've actually met some of my best friends this way. If you don't know how to start a conversation, go test on some strangers. Most people will forget you within a week. Technology demands our attention, and because of that we ignore the world around us. That's my explanation for people's loneliness.