Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
<
[-]
Welcome To Rant Central
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:

Password:

gun control
I an sick of listening to liberal dumb ass ideas on gun control. Americans have a second amendment right to keep and bare arms. no interpretation needed. yes there are thousands of fun related deaths everyday, but it's the people with the guns that obtain then illegally that account for the largest part of gun related crimes. the laws that are already in place are sufficient. ENFORCE those laws!

taking guns away from law abiding citizens that obtain them legally is the end of all this banter. You can do your own research but I've found in mine that many states that already have some of the toughest gun laws still have VERY large crime rates most of them violent, gun related crimes. why? criminals don't care about LAWS! that's the very basis of their nature.

it gets worse after each incident in the media. the Zimmerman case. Bullsh#t! started out as a case of the right to self defense and turned into a case of a hate crime.

it seems that the cold war was fought by the wrong side. we want the government to represent us (in idea) but each time a tragedy happens we run out and panic ("protect us!) you know how the government protects its citizens: they take away more of your rights. They take away your decisions. totalitarian. we already have a corrupt kleptocracy government, should we really let them take away or guns too? the United states government with all our money, all our guns, the healthcare system... sounds like Cuba to me.

and yet, as I close this rant, I must admit that America is still the best country in the world. because of its people. mostly stupid, ignorant and with little self awareness. makes me feel special.
Fistfull of xanax
In America there are more guns in private hands than in any other country.

[Image: 472px-Guns.png]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_g...by_country

The result is this:

[Image: deaths-vs-guns.png]
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.
- Robert A. Heinlein
Look at your own charts @velvetfog

Mexico has way less privately owned guns according to the first chart but is the leader in gun-related deaths according to the second.

If that doesn't prove that private gun ownership is not directly relative to gun-related death then I don't know what does.

I too get sick and fucking tired of people trying to tell me that I can't own a gun because somebody else did some shit.

Just try and come take my Beretta . . . I dare you :p
That first graph is misleading. 90-95% of all Americans don't own a gun. It should show the percentage of people who own a gun, that would be more informative. And who has an accurate count of how many guns there are in any country at all, much less Serbia and Yemen, the next 2 highest ranked countries?

And from the same site as the second graph, here is a more realistic and informative one. Gun ownership vs. homicide rates. Which by the way, includes many more countries than the ones selectively picked for the other one to make the US look bad.

As you can see the US drops from about 9 to about 2 or 3 and is nowhere near first or even second.

[Image: 14276_homicide-vs-guns-all.png]
that those with no rights,
display the right to have no life, to have respect they must accept
a world commiting suicide
(07-22-2013, 01:06 PM)Wildcard Wrote: Mexico has way less privately owned guns according to the first chart but is the leader in gun-related deaths according to the second.

If that doesn't prove that private gun ownership is not directly relative to gun-related death then I don't know what does.

United States is the primary source of firearms getting into the hands of the Mexican organized crime gangs.
Those guns are used to commit the vast majority of murders in Mexico.

(07-22-2013, 01:12 PM)SkinnyP Wrote: That first graph is misleading. 90-95% of all Americans don't own a gun.

"Survey data shows self-reported gun ownership peaked at 53 percent in 1973 before seeing a fairly steady decline to 32 percent in 2010, the most recent year available.
He cautioned singling any one year out, saying the numbers are better judged in the context of a whole: the 1970s averaged about 50 percent, the 1980s averaged 48 percent, the 1990s at 43 percent and 35 percent in the 2000s."

Source: --> How Many People Own Guns in America? And Is Gun Ownership Actually Declining?
- Robert A. Heinlein
Thanks for more useless stats vf, but all you are proving is it takes guns to have gun-related crime . . . duh. Everybody knows that, but what most don't seem to realize is that criminals are already getting guns illegally so what good would stronger laws do?
that's my point all along. the largest point being that most gun related crimes are committed using guns obtained illegally by people who under current law can not obtain one legally. making laws harder to get a gun legally is pointless.

I watched an interview with an unnamed Newsweek editor in the wake of the Zimmerman trial. the editor was a liberal idiot that said the stand your ground law in Florida "encouraged" gun violence! it DISCOURAGES criminals from breaking into people's homes. replace the ADT sign in your front yard that warms potential criminals that your house is protected by a security system with a sign that says " proud owner of an assault rifle".
Fistfull of xanax
Australia, Canada and the European Union countries have far less guns per capita on private hands than the United States.
If gun ownership increased safety, America ought to be one of the safest countries in the world to live in, but it is not.
- Robert A. Heinlein
Which house would a criminal rather walk into: A home with guns and people that know how to use them or people with the almighty pepper spray/911 combo?

Be real vf.
You fail to realize that in the other western countries, people are not very likely to have criminals walk into their houses.
Unfortunately, crime levels in America are much higher than they are in civilized countries.

The ultimate example of that, is the metropolitan urban area divided in two by the Detroit river.
The urban area on the west bank of the river is called Detroit, Michigan, which is a criminal ruled wasteland where most of the white population left long ago.
The urban area on the east bank of the river is called Windsor, Ontario, which is a clean and prosperous middle class city with very few guns.
- Robert A. Heinlein