Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
<
[-]
Welcome To Rant Central
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:

Password:

Younger brother
Alright, normally my younger brother is annoying to deal with, but lately it's gotten worse. So we're both trying to "lose weight". I use this phrase loosely because while he's purely trying to lose weight, I'm more trying to lose fat and put on more lean muscle/strength. I've had problems with my ankles and my knees where they would sometimes get swollen without much provocation, so I'm trying to take it slow with my cardio. Yes, we spent $600 on getting an elliptical because our mom wanted it to help me lose weight too, so I get on it when I remember and have the time to.
What REALLY pisses me off about my younger brother, is that he thinks that I have to work out in front of him to prove that I'm working out! He goes out to work in the morning, and I have work/school later on. Even if I ran on the elliptical for everyday for a week in the mornings, he would come by and be like, "How come I don't see you running on the elliptical?" in his flippant way of looking down on me. Then I would have to explain that I HAVE been doing it, he just never sees me. Why do I have to freaking PROVE myself to my brother?!
And I've studied kinesiology, plus had more interest in working out since before him, and he thinks to lecture me about the little he's learned! He's the kind of person who almost can't admit that he's wrong and always thinks he's right. If I go to the gym when he's not looking, he automatically assumes that I don't go at all. An example of this is he sees that my arms are getting bigger (obviously because I'm working out); after I tell him that weight training will help burn more calories in a 24 hours period than cardio, which was proven in a study, he's like, "All you have are the muscles on your arms haha". So, because that's all he can see, that's all he assumes. Like I said, I've been laying off doing my legs for now because I haven't been feeling like they were very strong. With working out, dropping fat, eating healthier, my legs have been feeling much better which is why I was thinking about starting this week or next week. But what, did he think that if I was working out my legs he'd be able to tell under my baggy gym shorts? Even if I had been squatting weights like crazy, it's not like my legs would grow double the size!

Really, I can hardly stand to talk to him anymore with his condescending attitude. First of all, our body types are different: he's taller and skinnier (5'11") while I'm shorter and bulkier (5"7"). Right now we're close to a 20 lbs difference, me being 233-236 and him being 213ish. When we're in our rooms, he comes by and is like "Look, don't I look like I've lost a lot of weight?" and etc. Last time I dropped 30 lbs, close to 215 lbs, I wasn't all bragging to him. He ASSUMES again that if I were to drop weight, I should be dropping weight like him. I tell him I have more muscle than him and he's like, "No, you just have more mass" with his arrogant, condescending smile. Obviously, I have more muscle mass!

I'm not supposed to hate my brother, but I find it harder and harder to talk to him. All day, I had two protein shakes and some kimbap for lunch. After working out at night, I wanted to add some low calorie protein so I got some turkey jerky from Walmart. He passes by my room, does a double take and is like, "What are you eating? You're talking about losing weight but you're eating high sodium stuff at night?" I just came back from a hard chest workout at the gym with barely anything to eat all day, so you might understand my getting angry at his high-handed comments.

I think part of the reason of his attitude is that he doesn't like the fact that I'm stronger than him. He's able to play tennis better, table tennis better, and is generally better than me at most sports, but I think he really can't stand that I'm stronger. We have a bench press in the basement and I had him spot me, years back, to see what my max was. I think I was able to get out to 215 or so, while he struggled with 185. But he thought that since I could do it, he could do it too, when I had obviously been working out more than him. Seems like after he realized that he wouldn't be stronger, he stopped using the bench.

This is how he asks me if I want to go play tennis with him: "Let's go play tennis, I'll pwn you," smiling while he says this. As if that's going to make me want to go at all. I think what grates on my nerves so much is that I'm always polite to people, I don't say things like, "Come on, let's go golf so I can beat you" or anything like that. When we played table tennis, he would act cocky when he won and not say much when he lost. I've beaten other people, but I would never act cocky because that, honestly, just seems incredibly rude to me. If I lose to someone who's a gracious winner, I'm fine with it. There are times when I focus on my mistakes as I'm losing, to try to correct them, but I'm never angry at them. When I lose to my younger brother though, he used to laugh about it. He stopped doing that so much, but saying that he'll "pwn" me, when I know I'll probably lose, I don't know what else to think except he wouldn't be someone I'd want to be friends with. In fact, my friends and my older brother's friends stopped wanting to hang out with him because of his personality, the way he looks down on people.

Sometimes, talking with him even a little is enough to get me angry enough to want to punch something. Our older brother moved out after getting married, and I think he's happy that he not only got away from our parents (who can be a bit overbearing at times), but also from our younger brother.
I think he wouldn't do something unless he knew that he could say that he was better than either of us.

I can't ever get the better of him in an argument because I hardly ever get any practice at arguing. I'm a peaceful person with everyone else and I think that at least the last 20 times I've gotten angry were all from him.

The last time I lost weight, I didn't go in front him and constantly ask him to tell me that I lost any. I just worked incredibly hard at it. He didn't say anything at the time, because I dropped to a lower weight than him. Now, he's constantly badgering me to tell him that he's lost weight. Our different builds are going to yield different results and he simply DOESN'T get that.
I think I'm even more easily angered than normal because of my low caloric intake. I'm probably taking in somewhere around 1500 calories per day, on top of exercising nearly every day, going to work, and going to school. Add to that a constantly infuriating younger brother and it gets a bit harder to breathe with the anger I feel.
so, your fat... and your brother is a homosexual... that's life. next time he gets on your nerves, punch him in the face. it's what brothers do.

mass x velocity = force
"Yeah. I understand the mechanics of it, shithead. I just don't understand how this is any less retarded than what I'm suggesting." - Kiley; Housebound.
Nice comment, voice of reason. Even though I wouldn't punch my brother, no matter how much he gets on my nerves, it was funny imagining the whole mass x velocity = force.
also, lemme let you in on a little secret:

your weight is not what you should be paying attention to. the body fat ratio is what matters since even if you are burning off fat, you are building muscle so you won't see that much of a reduction in weight.

also, in theory, you can reduce your caloric intake to about 1000 since you are in school most of the day... and i would slam most of that an hour before working out. anything you don't burn off or use for bodily stuff gets turned into fat.
"Yeah. I understand the mechanics of it, shithead. I just don't understand how this is any less retarded than what I'm suggesting." - Kiley; Housebound.
Yeah, that's exactly what I tell my brother, but of course he doesn't listen to me and only talks about weight. I've actually noticed a significant reduction in my stomach and my "love handles" aren't so pronounced. I'm probably going to go off to the gym when it opens at 5 to get in my back workout and swimming.
He keeps saying that I should be like him, just doing pure cardio first without building muscle. Screw that. I don't want to be like the average Korean with thin arms and legs. Since I'm doing this, I want to get down to a nice body fat percentage like 10%-15% while keeping or increasing my muscle. I don't to sacrifice strength to get slim. He seems to think that doing this is a waste of time since he's dropping weight, and fat (probably muscle included), faster than I am. I know what I'm doing is probably going to take a while, possibly up to or more than a year, especially because, like you said either in jest or otherwise, I'm fat.
I think if my data was looked only looking at my weight and height, I would be considered obese. But I think if my muscle mass was included as a factor, I would probably be fat or overweight.
For once spork is right punch him in the face. It's what brothers do and you will get on better after he learns to give you some respect.

Just out of interest try this and keep your records.

http://www.nhs.uk/tools/pages/healthywei..._id=101007
If you want to get a thick skin (so insults bounce off), learn how to argue, have an iOS device, and are 17+; look for a free app called iPTT. The people in 4.9 are masters of arguing.

http://www.iptt.me/home.html

BTW: sometimes the greatest tool is the art of listening. If you want to become accepted in 4.9 (and not chastised as a noob) just listen for the first few weeks. Learn about everyone (especially the regulars) to have something constructive to say and think about how to say it before you grab the button, because they will likely form an opinion of you after your first few button presses.
[Image: MyUserBar2.gif]
i'm being serious... his brother sounds like a homo... a creepy homo too. if my brother walked around and kept telling me to check out his 'bod' i'd punch him a few times just out of principle.

a lot of people are going to try to compel you to try communicate your feelings about the whole situation and i'm no different... i just don't want you to waste your time discussing feelings when you can just easily punch him in the face and save about 30 grand in future therapy costs.

but, you might just want to call him a fag every time he acts like a prissy little girl. i know plenty of girls that will try the whole 'oh, look. i've lost weight. how do i look?' act while spinning around in their best club dresses and seven inch stilettos. seriously... what kind of neurotic, narcissistic maniac attempts that type cock tease on their own brother?

subtly also works great.

next time you see him, just casually inquire as to if he just washed his jeans because they seem to be fitting a little tighter... or, ask him if he's feeling well because he looks a little bloated.

long term psych-outs work great. mention that testosterone can result in hair loss. over the next few days, pull out some of your hair (not a lot) and leave it on his pillow. wait a week... and stare at his hairline... eventually he'll take the bait and that is when you drop the hammer and mention that you think his hairline is receding. continue leaving hair on his pillow after that.

another great trick is to get some canned tuna fish (in oil, not water)... take the oil and put it in a spray bottle and then spray it into his shoes, onto his socks, his underwear and arm pits of his shirts. not a lot, mind you... just enough to capture a subtle essence of fishy body stench. continue this for a few weeks and... you can also increase the intensity a bit as time progresses.

the point of all this is knock him off his horse and in a way, it's the loving thing to do. if you can't hit him physically, hit him with reality.
Wow, the only advice I can give you is to not drop the leg routine...If they are strong then you make them your staple...plus, with legs, hams, and calves, you can develop a better power plant, and strengthen your core (abs & Lower back)

Ya, I agree to get rid of the scale, you'll drive yourself nuts with that...

Weightlifters are weird... Most of them look around and compare themselves to others around. Once I learned that the only person you have to beat is YOU, THEN it gets challenging... Your brother probably looks at others and compares himself to them....BURNOUT BABY!! You look at yourself and apply what ever is necessary to meet your goals. Once you crack that and compete with only yourself, you'll be unstoppable
(09-10-2013, 02:51 AM)sporkium Wrote: next time you see him, just casually inquire as to if he just washed his jeans because they seem to be fitting a little tighter... or, ask him if he's feeling well because he looks a little bloated.

long term psych-outs work great. mention that testosterone can result in hair loss. over the next few days, pull out some of your hair (not a lot) and leave it on his pillow. wait a week... and stare at his hairline... eventually he'll take the bait and that is when you drop the hammer and mention that you think his hairline is receding. continue leaving hair on his pillow after that.

lmfaoLMAOLMAO