Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Welcome To Rant Central
You have to register before you can post on our site.

World Kidney Awareness Day
Quote:World Kidney Day (WKD) is a global health awareness campaign focusing on the importance of the kidneys and reducing the frequency and impact of kidney disease and its associated health problems worldwide.

World Kidney Day is observed annually on the 2nd Thursday in March. At the start of this holiday, 66 countries observed this date in 2006. Within two years, this number rose to 88. WKD is a joint initiative of the International Society of Nephrology (ISN) and the International Federation of Kidney Foundations (IFKF). This holiday was intended to raise awareness about afflictions of the kidney; although many are treatable, they are a secondary medical concern of the greater population.

Based on a program heard on radio, kidney ailments do not show up until for a long long while. The doctor being interviewed suggests getting oneself tested once every 20 or so years (age 20,40,...) and definitely after age 30.

A recent survey done in the US (which I can't trace online) apparently suggests 1 in 7 in the US of A, suffer from undiagnosed kidney problems.

This is just a short note to spread awareness.

Useful sites: - Intl. society of Nephrologists.
→ Article:

To a question as to what were causative factors, doc listed many possible causes. Low weight at birth, drinking contaminated groundwater (Cadmium was mentioned).

Until now a 'shrunk kidney' could not be 'repaired', but apparently some progress has been made in that area.

He also suggested a possibility of artificial kidneys in the future.

This is all I know for now.

Share your knowledge here (books, articles, diet, exercise etc) and do please correct me if I got some of it wrong.

Only wanted to get the message across on this vital organ of the human body.

Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long -- Ogden Nash
Edit: I think the above should read 1 in 7 of the survey participants in the USA (wherever it was done) ... suffer from ...
Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long -- Ogden Nash

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The 2014 FIFA World Cup Thread. Spud17 395 69,677 09-29-2015, 11:52 PM
Last Post: LZA
  ICC Cricket World Cup 2015 thread. radiobox 33 11,643 03-29-2015, 11:48 PM
Last Post: radiobox