Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
<
[-]
Welcome To Rant Central
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:

Password:

"Why don't you do just like me?" !!??
Thumbs Down 
Ok, so this is my first time ever submitting any rant on here, but I was so pissed today that I simply had to.

I'm generally pissed at people who doubt whether my decisions are the best decisions for me. Lately I've encountered so many people who try to "help" me decide what to do in my life by advicing me to do just like them. And I don't even need advice!

I just graduated upper secondary school and where I'm from it's normal to take a year off to do whatever you like. Alot of people like to travel far away to try something new, which is cool - I, however, just got my first real job here at home and I plan to work this year, saving up money and gain experience. But for some reason that just isn't good enough for other people when I tell them about it. "Laura, why don't you go on interrail all over Europe, just like me?" - "Why don't just go study abroad, just like me?". Guess what, because that's not what I want to do! If I really wanted to, believe me, I would have done just that, but I don't.

I just hate it when people think that they know more about what's right for me than I do. And I am aware that alot of people do this because they are insecure about their own decision. But I still get extremely pissed when they shame me for what *I* want to do with MY life. If you want to go work at a farm in Italy, that's cool. But I don't. And it's not friendly or caring in any way. It's very insensitive and very off-putting. I'm proud of getting my job - which is a pretty good job, I might add - and I refuse to get peer pressured into doing something else just because it's considered cool or adventurous by someone else. And I get really disappointed when my good friends are being so incredibly rude.

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.
Wow, I feel you. If you are young, everyone thinks it's their right to patronize and upbraid you.

Now, if your friends are being rude, you have to be equally rude to them. Tell them they have nothing at stake about what YOU do with YOUR life. If anyone has to lose or gaun anything, it's you, then ask them why are they so possessive. Disown the "friends" if the situation demands it. Remember- They will not be there mending your life if it goes wrong with you following their misguidance.
Yo
My crew is in the house
Terra, Herb McGruff, Buddha Bless
Big Twan, Killa Kam, Trooper J, and Mike Boogie
And I'ma set it like this...

[Image: rockon.gif]
(08-18-2013, 07:43 AM)Lawliet Wrote: Wow, I feel you. If you are young, everyone thinks it's their right to patronize and upbraid you.

Now, if your friends are being rude, you have to be equally rude to them. Tell them they have nothing at stake about what YOU do with YOUR life. If anyone has to lose or gaun anything, it's you, then ask them why are they so possessive. Disown the "friends" if the situation demands it. Remember- They will not be there mending your life if it goes wrong with you following their misguidance.

Thank you so much! I am young, but so are my friends so I don't understand why they feel like they have to right to bash my decisions.
They aren't saying things in a rude way, but I DO think undermining a life choice that I'm so happy and comfortable with is pretty rude. Luckily enough, they are all going to be in some country far away from me, so I hope I'm not going to be bothered with it anymore.

Ima be me Big Grin I choose my choice :p
(08-18-2013, 08:20 AM)adorapple Wrote: I am young, but so are my friends so I don't understand why they feel like they have to right to bash my decisions.

Well you may very well be making bad decisions, but you are exactly right when you say that they are your decisions to make. If people talk down to you be firm in what you choose and let them know that you would respect their opinion more if it wasn't being delivered so condescendingly.

Nine times out of ten, if you speak up for yourself people will respect you for that.

Good luck and great rant. Smile
(08-18-2013, 10:49 AM)Wildcard Wrote:
(08-18-2013, 08:20 AM)adorapple Wrote: I am young, but so are my friends so I don't understand why they feel like they have to right to bash my decisions.

Well you may very well be making bad decisions, but you are exactly right when you say that they are your decisions to make. If people talk down to you be firm in what you choose and let them know that you would respect their opinion more if it wasn't being delivered so condescendingly.

Nine times out of ten, if you speak up for yourself people will respect you for that.

Good luck and great rant. Smile

Agree completely ...

And just so you know (you may already know), that when people talk about your decisions they are probably insecure about their own decisions and are trying to convince themselves they made the right decision by talking your decision down...

Truth is, no one knows really what they want, they don't have enough experience yet.

remember this: Bad decisions become good decisions when you realize that it's something you don't want to do... Bad decisions can build life experiences if you are careful, listen and take in the lesson to be learned from such experiences.. and in that case, there are no bad decisions...