Current time: 07-21-2017, 01:48 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is your idea of a "Rant"?
11-05-2014, 06:05 AM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2014 06:07 AM by AliShibaz.)
What is your idea of a "Rant"?
Recently, I've been thinking about my participation here and I'd like to ask some questions about that.

It may seem strange but after belonging to this board for more than a year, I have to admit that I may not really understand what a "rant" means. But several people here have referred to my posts as being "long-winded rants" and I got the idea that many people didn't really like lengthy posts.

So I decided to try and see just what info may be available to explain the meaning of a "rant". I started with a dictionary site.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/rant?s=t

Rant - to speak or declaim extravagantly or violently; talk in a wild or vehement way; rave: Example: The demagogue ranted for hours.

Next, I tried to find a definition at an Internet slang site:
http://www.askmefast.com/What_does_rant_...l#q3380717

... the rant part is meant as they were just going on and on about the situation.

Both these definitions seemed to include the idea that a rant is often both lengthy and angry. I've always figured a rant can be so angry they often don't even make sense. But after checking many of the other posts on this site, I must admit that mine seem to be the only ones that exceed a paragraph or two. As most all of you know, I often write long posts. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because of where or when I went to school. I'm really not sure. But I'd like to ask you for your ideas. I understand it can be a pain to read a lengthy post - unless you find it interesting. So, my question is, "Should I try to make most of my posts shorter? Or is it acceptable to go on at length if I feel strongly about something?

I know there is a difference between going on at length about something when one feels strongly about it versus going on at length but just rambling and not making sense. Still, I'd like to ask:

But if this site encourages rants, why are there so few lengthy posts and is that the way you prefer it? I don't have to make any lengthy posts. I've just always figured a rant site would expect people to post lengthy tirades that are often complaining in nature.

However, I'd still like to ask. If I'm mistaken about a rant usually being something lengthy that is also often a tirade, what kind of posts would you see as rants? I enjoy posting about movies and TV shows. But I'm not sure I understand how reviewing movies and TV shows can be considered to be rants. I guess I just don't understand rants in the same way as most other people do and I'd like to ask for your feedback.

Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-05-2014, 12:17 PM
RE: What is your idea of a "Rant"?
People complaining about your "long winded rants" don't understand the meaning of the URL in my opinion. I try and read any rant I can find, and offer my input, so feel free to tag me or whatever in your posts.

"Did you really think I was the demon? The Demon of Empire City?"
11-05-2014, 07:22 PM
Well, congrats on your 100th post.

I just wish you had something more interesting to write about for that. IMO, your 100th post should be special. At least more special than discussing the meaning of "to rant".

Smile
11-06-2014, 11:50 AM
It was on topic.

"Did you really think I was the demon? The Demon of Empire City?"
11-06-2014, 07:19 PM
I used to Rant (A Lot) not much more though,anyway where's the frog?? lol

11-07-2014, 01:21 PM
the frog got eaten too,he ranted too much

consistency is the hobdob
of small minds[

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Rainbow Tape - Ironic and Shit Rant Yei 3 233 06-09-2017 04:53 AM
Last Post: srijantje
  First rant, sitting in Psychology class Zenn 0 244 04-11-2017 09:49 AM
Last Post: Zenn
  my rant BorderLineMadness 1 289 04-07-2017 09:36 AM
Last Post: srijantje

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)