Current time: 05-29-2017, 06:27 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
What is the purpose of this forum?
04-01-2012, 05:17 PM
What is the purpose of this forum?
I'm curious as to the reason why you created this site and what your original vision was for its potential.

The reason I ask is because ...

For many years now I've had this secret wish that there was a site where people could go and post about their experiences (aka "rants") about organizations or complaints that have either treated them well or treated them badly so that other people could be forewarned about doing business with bad apples.

This kind of site would have to be organized or cross-referenced in several ways. By city or geographic area or by the nature of the business and in several other ways too.

But I've seen sites that do this - except they are limited to one kind of service - like home contractors. There is a site some lady started where people can report their experiences with home contractors and it seems to have really taken off. It's wonderful because the more people who take advantage of this resource, the harder it will be for unscrupulous home repair crooks to cheat people.

If it turns out that a company or organization is making a regular practice of mistreating people, the truth would be bound to come out. And if they were innocent and just being victimized by a few people who had a grudge against them, then other people could post that they never had any bad experiences and so it would seem to me the truth would come out.

The problem is that there must be thousands of categories like "home contractors" and so any web site would have to be able to handle a huge volume. But like any other good resources, it would have to start out real tiny.

I'd just love to see one general purpose rant site where people could rant about anything but that was organized in such a way that other people could use it to check on a company or service in their town before throwing away their money on a bunch of crooks. People could also use it to post their experiences - good or bad - and help to build a resource where it would become very difficult for bad apples to get away with mistreating people. It would be a wonderful resource.

If a big corporation had some kind of "sharp practice" or "trick" up its sleeve and they get you to agree to something and then spring a surprise on you later that you have to pay a lot more money than you expected, wouldn't it be wonderful if you could go to a site and check up on this corporation before you even spoke to them? That is one of the main ideas behind this site that lists home contractors and enables people to post their experiences with various home contractors. Other people can then go to this site and check up on one or more contractors before ever even talking with them to see if they were good apples or perhaps, bad apples. It would be a great service!

It could become similar to the Better Busines Bureau but hopefully without the corruption. In case people don't know, the BBB charges companies to get put into their "good books" without ever getting a single report about them and that is just not right. It is corrupt as Hell as a matter of fact.

Anyway, I don't know how or why you started this site. But is this the kind of thing you had in mind?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-01-2012, 06:59 PM
RE: What is the purpose of this forum?
Split from the 'Say "hello"' thread/admin

I started Rant Central because I was tired of Internet forums that were so strict that you couldn't have fun. I've always loved the void @ SB because the best posts are made there. I think it is because that there is no pressure there or worrying about what the mods will think of what you say.

So Rant Central is kind of like one big void.

We worry about the next joke or cut-down and not so much about on topic posting or getting warned/banned . . .

As far as ranting about businesses that screw you over, any rant is welcome. Start a thread about businesses that screwed you over if you like and see if others respond. That will guage the market for that type of rant better than anything. Smile

Wildcard is awesome.
04-01-2012, 08:07 PM
Yikes! There is no easy way to ask this except to come out and ask it.

Can you point me to a general definition of "rant"? It doesn't have to be an overly technical or scientific definition. I'd just like a general kind of idea of what sorts of things you would expect to be included and what sorts of things you would not expect to be included. My guess is that it is a longish, kind of angry opinion about something. If it's not at least a little bit angry, it wouldn't really count as a rant. Or would it?

Here is one definition of "rant" I got from Dictionary.com. Does it seem to line up with your meaning? Or would you make some kind of changes to it?

Rant - 1. to speak or declaim extravagantly or violently; talk in a wild or vehement way; rave: The demagogue ranted for hours.
verb (used with object)

(04-01-2012 06:59 PM)Mark Wrote:  Split from the 'Say "hello"' thread/admin

I started Rant Central because I was tired of Internet forums that were so strict that you couldn't have fun. I've always loved the void @ SB because the best posts are made there. I think it is because that there is no pressure there or worrying about what the mods will think of what you say.

So Rant Central is kind of like one big void.

We worry about the next joke or cut-down and not so much about on topic posting or getting warned/banned . . .

As far as ranting about businesses that screw you over, any rant is welcome. Start a thread about businesses that screwed you over if you like and see if others respond. That will guage the market for that type of rant better than anything. Smile
04-01-2012, 08:14 PM
I'd do with that definition mostly, but a little edited:

Quote:Rant - to speak or declaim extravagantly or violently; talk in a wild or vehement insane way; rave: The demagogue ranted for hours.

All the wacky and weird sauced with a taste of the cruel and violent- only as dark humor though and not in sincerity.

Wildcard is awesome.
04-01-2012, 08:50 PM
Thank you.

I will now take some time to mull that over and hope I can come up with a rant or two that will do it justice.
04-01-2012, 09:43 PM
(04-01-2012 08:50 PM)AliShibaz Wrote:  Thank you.

I will now take some time to mull that over and hope I can come up with a rant or two that will do it justice.

In the meantime feel free to chime in on some regular ole bullshit like the rest of us Tongue

Wildcard is awesome.
07-25-2012, 09:45 PM (This post was last modified: 07-25-2012 09:48 PM by sporkium.)
not a suggestion. thread moved.

/mod

(04-01-2012 05:17 PM)AliShibaz Wrote:  ...For many years now I've had this secret wish that there was a site where people could go and post about their experiences (aka "rants") about organizations or complaints that have either treated them well or treated them badly so that other people could be forewarned about doing business with bad apples.

btw, you are looking for angie's list.

"Yeah. I understand the mechanics of it, shithead. I just don't understand how this is any less retarded than what I'm suggesting." - Kiley; Housebound.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What is a "Forum Troll" snilloc 178 23,536 06-15-2014 09:35 PM
Last Post: velvetfog

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)