Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[-]
Welcome To Rant Central
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:

Password:

Wearable Computing Privacy Debate
Perhaps the best way to predict how society will react to so-called wearable computing devices is to read the Dr. Seuss children’s story “The Butter Battle Book.”

The book, which was published in 1984, is about two cultures at odds. On one side are the Zooks, who eat their bread with the buttered side down. In opposition are the Yooks, who eat their bread with the buttered side up. As the story progresses, their different views lead to an arms race and potentially an all-out war.

Well, the Zooks and the Yooks may have nothing on wearable computing fans, who are starting to sport devices that can record everything going on around them with a wink or subtle click, and the people who promise to confront violently anyone wearing one of these devices.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/26...f=business

Now that people are beginning to wear this stuff, how do you feel about it?

If you find yourself talking with someone who is wearing one of these outfits, will you continue the converstaion (knowing that everything is being recorded and will be available forever)? Or will you just turn around and leave the room?

Some people may feel these things should be outlawed or at least not allowed to be worn in public. I guess that is the same as being outlawed. But, what do you think?
Eh, if someone really wants to record the BS I say then go for it. Just don't turn my words around on me. The benefit of words is that they go "poof" once they are said. You have to be careful with what you write, since it can come back on you. With this, Words can come back on you too. I just know there will be a/h's who will try and use people's words against them.
(05-26-2013, 11:48 PM)AliShibaz Wrote: If you find yourself talking with someone who is wearing one of these outfits, will you continue the converstaion (knowing that everything is being recorded and will be available forever)? Or will you just turn around and leave the room?

I wouldn't have a convo with someone dressed as a crib mobile who was recording everything. I don't want anybody recording anything I say, plus they could use the recording of my voice for nefarious activities. I'd simply ignore these kinds of people, just like I ignore anyone who tries to start a conversation with me while they're wearing mirrored sunglasses.
"everyone wants to win but no one wants to drink a bucket of sj's piss" - bob5695
What kind of mirrored sunglasses

The ones like I had in the 80s,
[Image: l.jpg]

Or the ones like I had in the 90s?
[Image: Rear-View-Glasses.jpg]
[Image: MyUserBar2.gif]
^^ XD

Any kind of mirrored sunglasses. It's the height of ignorance to talk to someone and expect them to talk back to you while looking at their own reflection. I want to see a person's eyes when I'm having a conversation with someone, not my own. A traffic pig once pulled me over in my car, and began speaking to me wearing mirrored shades, so I dropped my head and stared at my feet. When he mentioned it, I told him if he was going to hide his eyes, then so was I. He tutted, but removed them.

1 to spud, 0 to pigs wearing mirror shades. Big Grin

Getting back on topic, if you converse with someone while they're wearing computer screen glasses, you know you don't have their full attention, so why waste your time? There's no point in you both being in the same proximity, you could have the same stuttered convo online instead. If I ever see guys wearing these kinds of stupid gizmos, I'll endeavor to stick my foot out when they pass. It'll serve them right for not paying attention.
"everyone wants to win but no one wants to drink a bucket of sj's piss" - bob5695
(05-27-2013, 03:43 AM)Spudgun17 Wrote: Getting back on topic, if you converse with someone while they're wearing computer screen glasses, you know you don't have their full attention, so why waste your time?

When I posted this thread, I had just read the article and had no idea what my opinion was on the subject. I was hoping to read some of what you all had to say so that I could form an opinion.

So far, I have to admit that what Spud said above sounds real good to me.
it's like talking to journalists,a big no no for me
i hate mirror shades,i like to see peoples eyes when i talk to them,stick a recorder in my face?I go mum at best
consistency is the hobdob
of small minds[
I really didn't read the entire OP but let me just say that where I come from if people suddenly realize that you have been recording them it is very likely that you will never be heard from again-- I am not joking in any way.

Not fucking cool. Leave the recorder's at home.