Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[-]
Welcome To Rant Central
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:

Password:

Virtual Pack Rat (Another Addiction Thread)
The very first time I got an application that could rip CDs I immediately began ripping my entire collection and the collections of all my friends. I never stopped and consequently have a library with approximately thirty-seven thousand songs in it. Blush Its a little embarrassing . . .

I rarely even listen to music, but when I want to hear a song I just download the entire album the song was originally on, or if it was somebody that I don't really like that well, I'll grab it on a greatest hits or something.

Sometimes I think that I like to download and share music because some part of me will only be satisfied when my music library is like an all-genre radio station's disc-stack in the Smithsonian Institute.

And it isn't just music. I have a budding collection of movies, television shows, eBooks, music videos, applications, lyrics . . .

I just really love to collect shit. I spend quite a lot of time maintaining my digital libraries too. Almost to the point of being fucking ridiculous. Confused

Can you relate to collecting for the sake of collecting? What kind of things do you collect?
Besides golden age rap music, I like collecting TV shows that I like. I have all seasons/ episodes of the Sopranos, as well as Star Trek - TNG. I collect movies that I think are epic, like Goodfellas, Four Brothers, The Departed, The untouchables (with Sean Connery) Just crap that I like. I feel incomplete and almost lopsided if there is something I want and can't get (which hasn't been the case since I learned how to torrent).
I collect music and listen to it a lot as well,lots of documentaries[not nature ones,got a lot of that around me]films,mostly cult and off beat.
@Wildcard,by the way,how big is your music library?
consistency is the hobdob
of small minds[
i collect cat whiskers.
I collect far too much stuff. I have always been a pack rat.
My collections of books and tools take up the most space.

At least collecting music, movies and TV episodes in digital file formats don't take up any physical room.
Currently, I have 8500 TV episodes on one of my external hard drives.
I have most of the top series from the last 25 years.

The Doctor Who folder is the biggest in my collection.
It is now up to 251 GB and contains 856 files.
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.
- Robert A. Heinlein
So glad it's not just me collecting stuff i'll prolly never watch. I've got about 600GB of stuff that I've downloaded for help with seeding, and after a few months they'll get deleted to make room for more torrents I'll never use. I keep saying that I'll watch everything eventually... but then I'll dl even more shows/movies.

Like bob with his cat whiskers, most of the stuff I collect isn't virtual, which makes for a clutter-free house... i don't miss the days of shelves and shelves of DVDs and CDs staring back at me.
"everyone wants to win but no one wants to drink a bucket of sj's piss" - bob5695
(02-18-2014, 09:23 PM)srijantje Wrote: @Wildcard,by the way,how big is your music library?

Well keeping in mind that I started collecting FLAC in 2012 and also that I have to convert all my FLAC to MP3 for my devices, I would estimate my music library at six hundred gigabytes total, with thirty-seven thousand+ unique songs in two formats.
shit,that's huge
consistency is the hobdob
of small minds[
(02-19-2014, 09:21 AM)Wildcard Wrote:
(02-18-2014, 09:23 PM)srijantje Wrote: @Wildcard,by the way,how big is your music library?

Well keeping in mind that I started collecting FLAC in 2012 and also that I have to convert all my FLAC to MP3 for my devices, I would estimate my music library at six hundred gigabytes total, with thirty-seven thousand+ unique songs in two formats.

Wow that is huge. I just checked the properties of my music folder and am at 108 GB, which I though was pretty big.. Yours puts mine to SHAME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile The My Pet is The Coolest Picture Thread. . . . . 23 5,941 08-13-2014, 06:56 AM
Last Post: LZA
  The Irish joke thread velvetfog 24 8,230 05-19-2014, 12:37 AM
Last Post: velvetfog
  The WTF Should I do Thread? 2010kaiser 14 3,237 08-29-2013, 06:35 AM
Last Post: LZA