Current time: 04-23-2017, 08:54 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
US Navy playing games?
05-23-2012, 06:35 PM
US Navy playing games?
Check out this link to an online game that started yesterday and lasts for 3 days. Appears to be sponsored by the US Navy in an effort to conserve energy. It also seems to have some political overtones about the current US administration. Interesting story anyway.

Quote:Massive Multiplayer Online Wargame Leveraging the Internet

The Massive Multiplayer Online Wargame Leveraging the Internet (MMOWGLI) exercise, a joint effort between the Office of Naval Research (ONR), Naval Postgraduate School (NPS) and Institute for the Future (IFTF), is an online game designed to crowdsource ideas and strategies that may provide insight to some of the Navy's toughest problems.
Play the Game, Change the Game

With the help of multimedia and web 2.0 technology, MMOWGLI creates a future environment where players are asked to share new ideas and collaborate with other users to earn innovation points and win the game. MMOWGLI is a web-based game which allows ONR to strategize with more players than possible in a face-to-face setting. Scaling up participation increases our aperture and enables the development of more solutions and unimagined possibilities. The game's first round, piracyMMOWGLI, launched in summer 2011 and centered around a fast-paced, geopolitical situation off the coast of Somalia. Piracy professionals are being privately invited to continue this exploration.

[Image: 22fa405b61.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-23-2012, 10:51 PM
RE: US Navy playing games?
never would participate in anything to do with military,what if your good ideas are gonna be used to kill people?

consistency is the hobdob
of small minds[
05-23-2012, 11:08 PM
all good ideas are used to kill people.

the point of the exercise is to develop strategies that help save lives against aggressive combatants.

"Yeah. I understand the mechanics of it, shithead. I just don't understand how this is any less retarded than what I'm suggesting." - Kiley; Housebound.
05-24-2012, 12:49 AM
(05-23-2012 11:08 PM)stormium Wrote:  all good ideas are used to kill people.

Condoms not..or is?

[Image: fdhgsdssff.jpg]
May My Light guides you
05-24-2012, 04:33 AM
Me thinks the lightbulb got you there stormy

[Image: lol-smiley-bounce-ag1.gif]
05-24-2012, 05:21 AM
(05-23-2012 11:08 PM)stormium Wrote:  all good ideas are used to kill people.

the point of the exercise is to develop strategies that help save lives against aggressive combatants.

yeah,sure,they gonna use it against themselves?

consistency is the hobdob
of small minds[
05-24-2012, 12:33 PM
condoms are preemptive.

sri... i don't understand that comment.

"Yeah. I understand the mechanics of it, shithead. I just don't understand how this is any less retarded than what I'm suggesting." - Kiley; Housebound.
05-24-2012, 02:24 PM
(05-23-2012 06:35 PM)auen1 Wrote:  Check out this link to an online game that started yesterday and lasts for 3 days. Appears to be sponsored by the US Navy in an effort to conserve energy. It also seems to have some political overtones about the current US administration. Interesting story anyway.

Quote:Massive Multiplayer Online Wargame Leveraging the Internet

The Massive Multiplayer Online Wargame Leveraging the Internet (MMOWGLI) exercise, a joint effort between the Office of Naval Research (ONR), Naval Postgraduate School (NPS) and Institute for the Future (IFTF), is an online game designed to crowdsource ideas and strategies that may provide insight to some of the Navy's toughest problems.
Play the Game, Change the Game

With the help of multimedia and web 2.0 technology, MMOWGLI creates a future environment where players are asked to share new ideas and collaborate with other users to earn innovation points and win the game. MMOWGLI is a web-based game which allows ONR to strategize with more players than possible in a face-to-face setting. Scaling up participation increases our aperture and enables the development of more solutions and unimagined possibilities. The game's first round, piracyMMOWGLI, launched in summer 2011 and centered around a fast-paced, geopolitical situation off the coast of Somalia. Piracy professionals are being privately invited to continue this exploration.

I think it's actually a good idea r.e.
Quote:....................crowdsource ideas and strategies that may provide insight to some of the Navy's toughest problems............

Original idea but a pity it's final use will be for killing Sad

My Torrents Are HERE And HERE Big GrinYay
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-24-2012, 04:43 PM
the final use is for protection... killing is a byproduct.

05-24-2012, 04:48 PM
Bollox

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Currently Playing Mark 35 9,205 01-15-2017 11:34 PM
Last Post: alexbfr
  Old and New- A Video Games Rant Wondrer 3 1,782 02-01-2014 12:51 PM
Last Post: SkinnyP
  Free to Play Games Wondrer 0 761 10-22-2013 10:56 AM
Last Post: Wondrer

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)