Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
<
[-]
Welcome To Rant Central
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:

Password:

The 2014 FIFA World Cup Thread.
The World Cup starts in 5 days... anyone watching?

Normally by now, I'd be getting ready to iron my england flag to hang out of one of the windows, but this time I just can't be arsed. It's rained heavily a lot recently, and I've been working a lot, so I'm blaming those two factors for dampening my footie mood. Maybe things will change once the tournament starts as I usually have all the stats memorised this close to the competition.

You'll be hearing this song quite often as it's the official world cup music...

I hate all that shit... songs (because they're always, always, always shit)... vuvuzelas... glossy stylised ads with about a thousand frames per minute that aren't the least bit informative... idiots who bring a whole fucking orchestra to a match...what's that about anyway? You pay money to see a match and people take musical instruments along and ruin it for everybody. Go to a game, watch the game, not stand there banging a drum for 90 minutes while fans are trying to get chants going. The last world cup was watched entirely on mute thanks to the plastic nightmare of vuvuzelas - even the name's stupid and annoying - it's too close to vulva.

Anyway, here's a handy match guide for those following it:

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/matches/

Discuss anything to do with the World Cup, which kicks off on Thursday 12th June with the home team playing Croatia.
"everyone wants to win but no one wants to drink a bucket of sj's piss" - bob5695
yeah,I thoroughly hated that,was like fucking a million bees zooming,I was almost glad to miss half the tournament because ``i was out and about.
can't get too hot about it either till now,specially when i found out most matches are played in the middle of the night here +holland is gonna play with 5 defenders for christ sake
I hope england will play all there young players
saw the krauts today in a friendly,they look onymous
consistency is the hobdob
of small minds[
I don't follow it that much except the occasional match or those in the News.
I can remember a few names like Dr Socrates (Brazil), those Danish trio (including the one with matted hair), then that German Muller I think. I think I watched Maradona's final appearance. All vague.
Will proly catch glimpses of some matches.
Ah, one more name Butrageueno (Spanish right ?)

But the team managers' behavior on the sidelines, has always amused me. He's always shouting instructions which are proly never heard by the players !

vu vuuuuu....
Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long -- Ogden Nash
i'll be rooting for the german national team again. it's kind of funny... you'd figure that the re-unification would have increased their odds of winning...
"Yeah. I understand the mechanics of it, shithead. I just don't understand how this is any less retarded than what I'm suggesting." - Kiley; Housebound.
i hope portugal wins
(06-07-2014, 09:24 AM)Spud17 Wrote: The World Cup starts in 5 days... anyone watching?

Not everyone watches European football (aka soccer).
It is popular in a great many countries, particularly the poorer ones, since very little equipment is required to play it.
But it has never gained any substantial spectator interest in the world's three most populous countries, China, India and the United States.
And Canada can be included with the United States in this regard.
Which amounts to roughly 40% of the planet's population that don't care all that much for soccer.

But if there are gunfights between the slum dwellers and the police in Rio's favelas during the FIFA world cup, that will make the headline news in North America.
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.
- Robert A. Heinlein
(06-07-2014, 03:18 PM)sporkium Wrote: i'll be rooting for the german national team again. it's kind of funny... you'd figure that the re-unification would have increased their odds of winning...
well,apart that brazil HAVE to win and with the backing of corrupt fifa,the only other teams with a whif of a chance are spain and germany,don't be surprised if italy come slithering in from the back,portugal?no chance

anyway,the seize of a country has not much to do with it
of small minds[
I got a quick intro to the 32nd World Cup, on a spoof show on TV last night.
Funny it was. Wonder if Brazil is prepared for the human influx.

Algeria: Desert Warriors in Brazil
Argentina: Not Just a Team, We are a country
Australia: Socceroos: Hopping Out Way nto History!
Chile: Chi Chi Chi!, Le Le Le ! Go Chile!
England The Dream of One Team, The Heartbeat of Millions!
France Impossible Is Not a French Word
Germany: One Nation, One Team, One Dream
Ghana Black Stars: Here to Illuminate Brazil
Italy: Let's Paint the FIFA World Cup Dream Blue
Japan: Samurai, The Time Has Come To Fight!
The Netherlands: Real Men Wear Orange.
Portugal: The Past is History, The Future is Victory
Russia: No one can catch us
South Korea: Enjoy It, Reds!
USA: United By Team, Driven By Passion
Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long -- Ogden Nash
I wish Italy do some surprising campaign this time
[Image: fdhgsdssff.jpg]
May My Light guides you
(06-08-2014, 12:15 AM)lightbulb Wrote: I wish Italy do some surprising campaign this time

like what?doing a bit of attacking?
of small minds[

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ICC Cricket World Cup 2015 thread. radiobox 33 10,774 03-29-2015, 11:48 PM
Last Post: radiobox
  World Kidney Awareness Day radiobox 1 1,314 03-12-2015, 10:41 PM
  The Commonwealth Games thread. Spud17 1 1,666 07-25-2014, 11:56 AM