Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Tech Discussion Computer Memory
How large is your hard drive? (If you don't know click Start -> My Computer then right-click on you 'C' drive and select Properties . . . you will see a pie chart of your storage. Give us those numbers.

Meanwhile, the only way to keep shit and still have room is by buying more storage space. If you have a decent PC then just go spend (less than) $100 for a nice big (1 TB at least) external hard drive.

If you computer is old and has USB 1.0 you can still use external storage, but it is a bitch to say the least.

The only other option is ridiculous to me, but many people do it: you can buy DVDs/CDs and burn copies of you files, enabling you to delete them to clear up space. <-- that looks stupid as fuck just typing it out. Too much work. Buy a hard drive.
Wildcard is awesome.
i prefer using an external hard drive for storing files remotely that i can access through my apple compliant life affirming technology, but i also use dvd's for archival purposes just in case the hard drive fails or something.

copy, copy, copy...

but, honestly... from the sound of all your computer issues... time to upgrade anyway.
"Yeah. I understand the mechanics of it, shithead. I just don't understand how this is any less retarded than what I'm suggesting." - Kiley; Housebound.
104 GB

It says
Used space 30.7 GB
Free space 73.9 GB

before i deleted some junk today the free space was like thirty something. i got rid of alot today.

What about multiple accounts on the comp. does that take up extra space?
RC IS THE SICKNESS THAT MAKES MY MIND GO ROUND-BUNNY
Nothing you'd notice Wink
Wildcard is awesome.
(12-18-2012, 08:28 PM)Bunny Wrote: I have lots of pictures. what would you do to keep them but clear them off my computer?
buy an external hard drive and store them in there
[oops i didn't read page 2]
consistency is the hobdob
of small minds[
(12-18-2012, 09:40 PM)Bunny Wrote: What about multiple accounts on the comp. does that take up extra space?

it depends. since you are using a computer with multiple accounts, are you using an account with administrative rights or a regular user account?

administrator accounts have access to all files while regular users only have access to their files.
"Yeah. I understand the mechanics of it, shithead. I just don't understand how this is any less retarded than what I'm suggesting." - Kiley; Housebound.
(12-18-2012, 09:27 PM)sporkium Wrote: i prefer using an external hard drive for storing files remotely that i can access through my apple compliant life affirming technology, but i also use dvd's for archival purposes just in case the hard drive fails or something.

copy, copy, copy...

but, honestly... from the sound of all your computer issues... time to upgrade anyway.

Oh, Bunny!

Seriously, Bunny!

You can get a serious PC for so little money that it would absolutely shock you (considering what you are using today).

It sounds to me like you could easily double or quadruple the speed and/or capacity of your PC by spending just approx two hundred dollars (to buy a second-hand PC). Maybe even less if you find someone who has a used PC and just wants to get rid of it. There are many such people around. I would avoid Craig's List unless you don't know anyone in your area who will help you.

You can find used PC's that are good value at places that sell Internet time - such as coffee shops that have Internet machines for time rental. For example, they will let you use a machine that is hooked up to the Internet for $5 per hour or something like that. In my city, those places usually have a few used PCs for sale. But, I would avoid them except as a last resort, because you can usually get one of those kinds of machines for about half the price by finding someone who wants to sell their old PC that they don't use anymore. Then if you get a can of compressed air and blow out the dust, you will often be able to save yourself one or two hundred dollars.

Do you have a friend or relative who can spend a few hours with you and who you trust and in whom you have confidence they will be able to select a good value for your money and help you acquire a new PC (even if it is a "used" PC but "new" to you)?

If I was you, I would def get ahold of someone like that and ask for their help. Then I would spend a minimum of approx $200 dollars (more if you can afford it) and get yourself a serious upgrade.

You can always try to line up something and then come here and ask for opinions about what your are planning to get.

Many of the people here will know and will advise you. But when it actually comes time to perform the upgrade, it would really be best if you had someone who could "hold your hand" (as it were), while you do the actual upgrade.

"Hand holding" is an expression (used with PCs) that conveys the notion that someone will help you by physically being in your presence while you do something and they will then advise you and guide you and perhaps even do any heavy lifting for you.

Many teenagers could well be that person who has sufficient knowledge to do that "hand holding" for you.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Discussion My Desktop Computer Specs - What's Yours? Serpius 2 222 09-01-2018, 06:09 PM
Last Post: Wildcard
  Help Request Help with no sound on my computer LZA 10 5,498 05-01-2015, 07:09 PM
Last Post: LZA
  Help Request Need your help / advice on new computer LZA 12 6,125 01-08-2015, 01:40 AM
Last Post: radiobox