• Portal
  • Search
  • Member List
  • Help
  • Random Thread
  • Thread Rating:
    • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tech Discussion: A Nice Free Online Spell Checker
    I recently found a nice online spell checker that operates somewhat differently from any other spell checker I have ever seen.

http://www.spellchecker.net/spellcheck/e...ll_checker

It works in several diff ways and has many options including your choice of most any language.

The way it works is ... you copy the text from a document into the SpellChecker's window and then it shows you all the spelling errors. You then choose to correct whatever words you like. But it does not change your original doc. When you are finished, you just copy the text in the window and paste it back into your original document and then you can save it when you are ready.

I don't know if you will prefer to use this type of spell checker over the ones you currently have. But I wish you all the best of luck in using it.
    (This post was last modified: 03-21-2013, 01:22 PM by AliShibaz.)
    Spell checker one of the most useful feature in any discussion forums and websites. Hey what you think about that. The use of social networking, text and some other things have ruined the general spelling ability of the our young generation. Do you agree with that. Another thing is is there any utility of grammar check or any link that you can provide. Thank you in advance.
    I use the spelling checker built into Firefox.
    I have it configured for more than one language, since not everything I write is in English.

Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.
    - Robert A. Heinlein
    The spell checker for which I provided a link in my OP also contains a grammar checker.

But I found it to be not very useful because it flags all kinds of things that really seem OK to me. Such as contractions. If you use the words "don't" or "can't", it flags those. Seems like a pain to me.

But if you want a grammar checker, you can check it out and if it does not suit you, just Google for grammar checkers.
    Just a suggestion, but I normally try out something new a while before I 'share' it with everyone and then find out it sucks . . . just sayin'. Dodgy

I use After the Deadline - Spell and Grammar Checker 1.51, a plugin for Firefox but only for emails and long posts-- I prefer not to use the inline checking.
    the way i see it; if i wanted something to nag and berate me by telling me i'm doing something wrong, i'd get married.

"Yeah. I understand the mechanics of it, shithead. I just don't understand how this is any less retarded than what I'm suggesting." - Kiley; Housebound.
    In matters of English grammar, I stick with the traditional indispensable catechism on the subject:

The Elements of Style by by William Strunk, Jr. and E. B. White

Available in book form here: --> http://www.amazon.com/The-Elements-Style...0205313426

Read more about it here: --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elements_of_Style

Once you get the content of that slim volume into your head, you won't need any computer software to help you with your grammar.

Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.
    - Robert A. Heinlein
    (03-23-2013, 11:43 PM)Wildcard Wrote:  Just a suggestion, but I normally try out something new a while before I 'share' it with everyone and then find out it sucks . . . just sayin'. Dodgy

I use After the Deadline - Spell and Grammar Checker 1.51, a plugin for Firefox but only for emails and long posts-- I prefer not to use the inline checking.

In this case, I figured it was OK to tell people about it because It is a diff kind of spell checker and I've never seen one that operates in that same way before - meaning it's an "online" spell checker. You don't D/L any EXE programs. You just cut and paste your text into a box in an onling web address and all the spell checking is performed at their site. It is only when you are satsified with the text that you cut and paste it back into your document.

The point is that I think it's very difficult to pickup any malware using this approach. It is very different from installing some utilities onto your PC and then running them to check spelling.

Besides, I did use the spell checking part of it before I posted anything.

Other than that, I agrre with Spork about the grammar checking. I tried it but found it to be a real pain in the ass. So, I never recommended that. I just recommended that people take a look at the spell checker - mostly to see what they thought about it.

It was unique and I figured people would like to check it out on that basis.

However, I think it's real good for you to look out on our behalf for our benefit and I thank you for that. You are like a wise old man protecting his flock from the bad guys. So, good on you, Mark!
    (This post was last modified: 03-24-2013, 03:26 PM by AliShibaz.)
    I use the textbook "The Least YOu Need to Know About English," the 5th Edition instead of an online checker. Nothing beats an old English grammar book if you want to speak English online.

This message has been brought to you by RobertX.

Possibly Related Threads...
    Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
    Last Post by sporkium
    07-18-2018, 04:52 AM
    Last Post by . . . .
    01-23-2013, 06:01 PM
    Last Post by snilloc
    09-10-2012, 05:07 PM