Current time: 08-18-2017, 07:30 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Teacher takes 'gay' out of Christmas carol
12-08-2011, 08:57 PM
Teacher takes 'gay' out of Christmas carol
Source

Traverse City, Michigan, USA Parents were furious after a music teacher edited the word “gay” from the traditional Christmas song “Deck the Halls” and substituted “bright” instead. However, the word “gay” has now been reinstated, according to the Chicago Tribune News.
   The word comes in the line “Don we now our gay apparel”. But the teacher at Cherry Knoll Elementary School said the students laughed every time they sang the word “gay.” However, according to a report in the Daily Mail, the school’s own principal, Chris Parker, was disappointed that the word had been censored. He told 7&4 News in Traverse City that the teacher could have used the opportunity for a teaching tolerance.
   “This would have been a great opportunity to teach that ‘gay’ has more than one meaning and is not a bad word,” he said before the reinstatement of the word. According to the Mail, parents “took to the school’s Facebook page ranting about the teacher’s decision to change that word in the traditional holiday carol.” One parent wrote that taking the word “gay” out of the carol just drew attention to it and made it “a big deal.”
   The school’s assistant superintendent, Dr Jane Mohr, issued a statement saying: “We are so very sorry this happened. The teacher made a poor decision and it should have never happened.”
According to the Tribune News Principal Parker says “it’s a teachable moment for the educator and students at the school in the Traverse City Area Public Schools district.”

Wildcard is awesome.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-13-2011, 05:36 PM
RE: Teacher takes 'gay' out of Christmas carol
Taking "gay" out is way more gay than leaving "gay" in.

I had a go at my daughter's first grade teacher for substituting the word "bucket" for "pail" in Jack and Jill -- because it was too difficult to explain the lesser-used "pail", as if they haven't dumbed things down enough for kids lately -- and that's not even based on political correctness. I can think of a few choice things to call idiots who make decisions like this.
12-13-2011, 05:51 PM
You're kidding me!? 'Pail' is too much for their vocabulary!? Huh My niece is five and she has a better vocabulary than I do. People are such sheep!

Wildcard is awesome.
12-13-2011, 05:53 PM
We used to have an advert here in the ROI for tea bags (Lyon's black and white tea). It featured five cartoon characters who were black.
Since the advent of radical PC it's now banned and deemed racist.
Baaa Baaa black sheep has been changed in our elementary schools to Baa Baa wooly sheep or some other crap.
In my daughters school, religious symbols of any sort are strictly prohibited.

I can see the thinking behind some of this prohibition so to speak. But i do feel that it breeds the type of discrimination their trying to prevent by their very panicked actions.

I grew up in the time of racism, religious bigotry, homo-phobia etc. My parents thought me tolerance, understanding and humility.
When i hear and read about this sort of shit it really pisses me off.
I think with the proper guidance from responsable peers, there would be no need for the hysteria we read about all the time.
It speaks more about the teacher who banned "gay" then it does about the kids or parents.
Fair play to whoever had the balls to expose/challenge him.

Now my rant is over, i'm ordering a pizza!!

Big GrinCoolBig Grin

My Torrents Are HERE And HERE Big GrinYay
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-13-2011, 06:04 PM
I agree 100% kaiser. So what the kids were giggling! She should have been grown enough to press on.

Wildcard is awesome.
12-13-2011, 06:29 PM
South Park has the right idea. Every phobia and '...ism' is dragged out into the open for us to laugh at if we take the time to "get over ourselves".

Cartman rocks!!!

Big GrinCoolBig Grin

My Torrents Are HERE And HERE Big GrinYay
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-13-2011, 10:46 PM
BaaBaa african american sheepHysterical

consistency is the hobdob
of small minds[
12-14-2011, 01:46 AM
(12-13-2011 10:46 PM)srijantje Wrote:  BaaBaa african american sheepHysterical

Lunatic Tongue

I remember when they banned Tom Sawyer from our school library. That's sad, to me.

Wildcard is awesome.
12-15-2011, 07:29 AM
Reminds me of when I was reading The Gay Science, Friedrich Nietzche's book on poetry, a title which made my younger brother howl with laughterBig Grin
12-15-2011, 07:47 AM
Aw,Hespo,you're such a puf,I love ya

consistency is the hobdob
of small minds[

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Christmas in November wolfis 7 1,866 11-21-2015 10:44 AM
Last Post: LZA
  Maine Zumba Teacher Pleads Guilty To Prostitution AliShibaz 21 8,601 04-01-2013 12:12 AM
Last Post: srijantje
  Caught on tape: Fleeing bus driver takes cop on wild ride News Puppet 0 683 04-23-2012 05:08 PM
Last Post: News Puppet

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)