Current time: 06-26-2017, 02:10 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Tablets
11-29-2012, 12:12 PM (This post was last modified: 11-29-2012 12:16 PM by AliShibaz.)
Tablets
I have no idea what Tablet computers are about or what can be done with them.

I would like to get a general idea of what a Tablet is and why it might make sense for me to get one. (or maybe not to get one).

Would anyone here be able to direct me to a good site where I could find an explanation of what they are about and wheter or not it would make any sense for me to get one?

I see they are all the rage these days and I would like to know more about them.

Would anyone here know of a site where I can go and get an overview of what they are and what they can do and why it might be a good idea for me to get one ... or maybe not to get one?

I know that I could just Google "Tablet Computers" to find out some info. But I'm asking you all because I would hope to take advantage of some of your knowledge and experience and smarts and hopefully I might be able to get the benefit of your experience so that I do not just go on a blind search. You know?

I'm hoping that maybe some of you have found a good site that explains about Tablets better than I could find by just stumbling around in Google.

Know what I mean? Thank you all very much. Any guidance you can give me would certainly be appreciated. Oh, yes!!

Tank you all in advance.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-29-2012, 12:35 PM
RE: Tablets
http://www.apple.com

"Yeah. I understand the mechanics of it, shithead. I just don't understand how this is any less retarded than what I'm suggesting." - Kiley; Housebound.
11-29-2012, 12:44 PM
This is going to sound harsh, but Google is fucking amazing. Just type in 'Why should I get a tablet instead of a laptop' and you might be surprised at how many exact matches you get.

For my needs, a tablet is great at times when I don't have a lot of room to try to work. I can do almost anything that I can do from my PC, but in a convenient size.

Reasons not to get a tablet: If your eyesight is poor or you have epilepsy.

jmo

Wildcard is awesome.
12-15-2012, 04:22 PM (This post was last modified: 12-15-2012 04:28 PM by AliShibaz.)
When you say that you can do almost anything that you can do from your PC ...

I just can't get over the idea of using an "on-screen keyboard".

An on-screen keyboard is hideously slower than an real keyboard.

I spent a lot of time learning how to type and eventually I got up to around 70 wpm. I have used other kinds of typing interfaces and I just can't understand how people are willing to "hobble" themselves with those things. They are just terrible.

And I spend at least half my time using a keyboard - whether I'm writing software or writing documentation.

I just can't see that a smaller unit is necessarily a big advantage.

I sure wish there was a way to get a 30 day trial to use a tablet although the price of $300 is not really the problem. That is pretty cheap - considering.

The problem is the amount of time it would take for me to learn how to use it. That is a killer. I just don't want to spend that time if I'm not going to then put it to use and use a tablet.

I hope that doesn't sound harsh.

I realize you are just trying to help me and it would be stupid of me to ignore the possibility of a brilliant new kind of technology. But please tell me one thing. How fast can a "touch typist" type on a tablet compared to a keyboard?

That would be a key factor for me.

Sporkium,

Mind if I ask if you own and use a tablet?
12-15-2012, 05:01 PM
i have an ipad...and while i don't use it for daily computing, it does wonders when i'm in a place where pulling out my laptop would be a hassle such as at business meetings or getting drunk or high on my balcony... and should the on screen typing become an issue, i have a portable keyboard and mouse that works incredibly well without a lag.

the beauty of apple's products are that they all work seamlessly with each other. you don't have any archaic and time consuming hardware profiles to mess with and i can wirelessly access the drive on my laptop, desktop, external drives, phone or ipod... and should i need to in the future, i can utilize apple's could storage... but i still don't trust that shit.

"Yeah. I understand the mechanics of it, shithead. I just don't understand how this is any less retarded than what I'm suggesting." - Kiley; Housebound.
12-15-2012, 06:11 PM (This post was last modified: 12-15-2012 06:14 PM by AliShibaz.)
Thanks very much.

It sounds truly excellent.

But, when you said "could storage", did you mean "cold storage"?

If so, I will Google that to find out what it is.

Oh Shit!

Just take a look at what I got when I googled "cold storage"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_storage

The first item on my list was a movie called "Cold Storage". I wonder if Google "knows" various users and returned a film to me cuz I usually look for films? Pretty spooky, huh?
12-15-2012, 06:27 PM
I am pretty sure he meant 'cloud' storage:

http://www.apple.com/icloud/

Wildcard is awesome.
12-15-2012, 06:37 PM
yeah... 'cloud storage'... it's a fancy way of saying 'remote storage' or 'second party data storage solution.'

with the advent of wireless high speed data streams, most people just really like the term 'cloud storage' since it implies it just floats in the air all careless and free... without the wires.

in practice, it's very easy to create your own similar storage system with apple products by using the time capsule or airport that is hooked up to your desktop.

in fact, if you are a heavy user as far as computations go for encoding... apple even lets you link computers together through your network so you can share processes loads.... and the best part is that it's fucking easy... unless you want to dictate the percentage of loads on each machine... in which case it's still easy.

i Heart apple.

also, apple has a pretty solid return policy and demos that you can use in the store... so you can check out the candy before you have to make a commitment.

i gotta warn you tho... apple is addictive in a sense that you will start loving life a lot more.

12-15-2012, 09:22 PM
If you really don't like the on-screen keyboard, you could use a bluetooth keyboard. I have a bluetooth keyboard that I use with my iPhone sometimes. BTW: Apple products are definitely addictive. I'm typing this on a MacBook Pro and I'm getting an iPad this Christmas. [Image: 003.png]

[Image: MyUserBar2.gif]
12-15-2012, 10:53 PM
I just spent $1,000 on a new Desktop.

Oh well, I got to try an Apple.

I bought the very first Mac when it came out in 1982. But it was so slow when I wrote some Basic programs that I returned it.

Today things are very different.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)