Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
[-]
Welcome To Rant Central
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:

Password:

Spreading diseases
I recently had to have a number of blood tests done. In case you haven't recently had any blood drawn for a blood test, let me refresh your memory as to the procedure.

Here is the way it is usually done:

First, the nurse or technician who is going to draw the blood puts on a pair of hygenic gloves.

Next, they take a cotton ball or a dab of cotton and splash some rubbing alcohol onto it to disinfect it.

Next, they rub the cotton against the area of skin into which they will stick the needle to disinfect the skin.

Next, they wave or fan one hand over that area of skin to dry it. The air that results from waving that hand dries the skin.

Finally, they inject the needle into the skin and draw the blood.

Well, I was recently horrified when I encountered one rather senior nurse who was apparently very experienced who actually blew (with her mouth) on my skin to dry it before injecting the needle.

I freaked out because when she blew on my skin, she blew bits of her saliva and her germs onto my skin and then injected a needle into my arm.

What was the point of following so much of the procedure to keep things hygenic if she was going to blow on my skin and spread her germs and saliva onto my skin and into my blood?

I couldn't believe that someone who was about 60 years old and seemed to be a very senior nurse would not know any better.

I can't imagine how often she has spread her germs to patients by following this bizarre approach and how often she has spread diseases to patients.

She was from a thrid-world country and perhaps in the country of her origin this was a normal procedure for some strange reason.

I wrote an email to the nursing supervisor to inform her of this bizarre procedure but never heard back. I fear she will continue to just blow patients - and not in a good way.
why not say something as it was happening rather than writing an email later on?
"Yeah. I understand the mechanics of it, shithead. I just don't understand how this is any less retarded than what I'm suggesting." - Kiley; Housebound.
(04-02-2012, 02:23 AM)stormium Wrote: why not say something as it was happening rather than writing an email later on?

I said plenty as it was happening. I refused to let her draw my blood.

But it was important to notify the supervisory staff as well. Otherwise, how could I ever be sure that they put a stop to it?

As it happened, they never answered my email and I fear they just did nothing about it.

This was at a very large and modern hospital, by the way. I was really disgusted.

Quite surprising -- though I've never had anyone wave a hand over the area to dry it either, since the alcohol evaporates almost instantly. Blowing on the site is definitely out. She might as well have licked you. Eew, strep and god knows what else... it's an infection just looking for a place to go.

Clearly there's a bit of protectionism going on. I'd be writing to the Health Department or whatever authority you have in your area -- you're right to be concerned.
No fucking censorship. Ever.
I agree with Leanne. This is ridiculous and you should pursue higher channels if you can get no response from the hospital.

Actually one great way to get a response from the hospital itself is to call or write and threaten to take it to the next level if nothing is done. That will usually get their attention.
Wildcard is awesome.
(04-02-2012, 10:45 AM)Mark Wrote: I agree with Leanne. This is ridiculous and you should pursue higher channels if you can get no response from the hospital.

Actually one great way to get a response from the hospital itself is to call or write and threaten to take it to the next level if nothing is done. That will usually get their attention.

Hmmm .... thank you for your shot of courage.

I don't mind making some noise about this. I do believe that it's the "squeaky wheel that gets the grease".

I just have to find out who to try and contact. Thank goodness I saved the email I sent to the nursing supervisor.

as compensation you could ask for a blowjob :LMAO:
consistency is the hobdob
of small minds[
I saw my doctor today and asked his advice.

After all, every aspect of my stay in this hospital was excellent - except for this "blow dryer" and I don't want to cause any unnecessary problems for the hospital or for its staff. I think it would be wrong for me to unleash the Department of Health on the hospital if that would cause any unnecessary problems for its staff or its reputation.

My doctor advised me to send a "follow-up" email to the nursing supervisor stating that I was concerned because I had not received any reply to my email and telling her that I did not want to cause the hospital any problems because I was fairly certain this matter could be handled by the hospital quietly and without any negative publicity or any damage to its reputation.

Then, if I don't receive any reply to this email, I should contact the president of the hospital or the state's department of health.
Sound advice. It's best not to make waves if you can have the problem resolved quietly -- that's win-win, and you're really only trying to do your civic duty after all. If they can't see that, though... then it's time to bring in those big guns you pay taxes for.

sj, not everything can be solved with a blow job. Not outside of India anyway.

No fucking censorship. Ever.
till not so long ago you had to watch they didn't jab you with the same needle as all the other patients around here let alone dab you with alcohol.

anyway Ali,it seems you're following the right procedure
consistency is the hobdob
of small minds[