Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
[-]
Welcome To Rant Central
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:

Password:

Something to Think About Drugs & Alcohol
So often, when we see people or hear of people who are "former addicts" or are "in recovery" or have "turned their lives around", we tend to think of them with respect and admiration.

The truth is that for anyone who has been addicted to drugs and/or alcohol in a serious way, the odds of a full and complete recovery in which they last the rest of their lives without every taking any more drugs and/or alcohol is very, very low.

I think it's around only 5 per cent of addicts are able to make a full and complete recovery and I think that is a testament to the fact that drugs and alcohol have such a tremendously strong hold on addicts.

I am always extremely cautious of anyone who claims to be a "former" addict and I always expect them to relapse. I wouldn't trust any of them with the keys to my home or car, for example. I would just be very, very careful.

In my past, I belonged to a group where a prospective new member would come before us (it was a shared living accommodation) and we were asked to vote on whether or not they should be invited to join us. It happened so often that someone who seemed to be just a "golden boy (or girl)" and who was a powerful example of a recovering addict would just have us all snowed into believing they would never relapse and were just a shining example of the model addict who had had "turned their lives around" and yet ... those people were the first to relapse and so often we came home after working all day to find they had stolen all our expensive electronics and broken into our rooms and stolen everything they could get their filthy little hands on.

What am I trying to say? It's important to give people a 2nd chance at recovery. But don't ever let them get their hands on your wallets or purses while they are doing that. You will lose a lot of money.

Here is one story that is a powerful example of needing to exercise care when dealing with "former" addicts. Be warned that it's a pretty gruesome story.

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/news/20...ino-in-la/

So often, when we see people or hear of people who are "former addicts" or are "in recovery" or have "turned their lives around", we tend to think of them with respect and admiration.

The truth is that for anyone who has been addicted to drugs and/or alcohol in a serious way, the odds of a full and complete recovery in which they last the rest of their lives without every taking any more drugs and/or alcohol is very, very low.

I think it's around only 5 per cent of addicts are able to make a full and complete recovery and I think that is a testament to the fact that drugs and alcohol have suce a tremendously strong pull on addicts.

I am always extremely cautious of anyone who claims to be a "former" addict and I expect them to relapse. I wouldn't trust any of them with the keys to my home or car, for example. I would just be very, very careful.

Here is one story that is a powerful example of needing to exercise care when dealing with a "former" addict. Be warned that it's a pretty gruesome story.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: FOX News: Addiction Counselor Charged in DUI That Dragged, Killed Latino in LA.

Los Angeles County prosecutors have filed murder and drunken-driving charges against a substance abuse counselor who allegedly struck a pedestrian, 31-year-old Phillip Moreno, and drove for more than two miles with the dying victim on the hood of her car.

Read more: http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/news/20...z2DU8gXQE6
addiction? she was drinking... and so was the guy... either way, the moral of that story is that women shouldn't be driving... (kidding... slightly)

to be perfectly honest... even if i had a half dead mexican-gang member looking guy sticking out of my windshield, i wouldn't have stopped anywhere near crenshaw boulevard either.
"Yeah. I understand the mechanics of it, shithead. I just don't understand how this is any less retarded than what I'm suggesting." - Kiley; Housebound.
i get the picture LMAO
consistency is the hobdob
of small minds[

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Getting legal drugs shouldn't be this annoying Hdidhd 7 2,322 01-15-2017, 11:23 PM
Last Post: alexbfr
  call off war on drugs srijantje 15 6,558 04-04-2014, 11:31 AM
Last Post: velvetfog
  Drugs you haven't done Mark 77 15,013 06-07-2013, 01:09 AM
Last Post: LZA