Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[-]
Welcome To Rant Central
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:

Password:

Sloppy About.com - Piss Me Off!
I am really pissed off at About.com.

This may seem like a silly little thing to you. But I'm on a rant because they are supposedly a big prestigious site where you can go for info and depend on them.

Well, yesterday I was looking for a good recipe for BBQ sauce so that I could make my own BBQ chicken wings. I had been buying BBQ chicken wings at my local supermarket but they were extremely expensive and not really all that great tasting.

Anyway, I Googled "recipe BBQ sauce" and I found an entry called "Top 10 Barbeque Sauce Recipes" here:

http://bbq.about.com/od/barbecuesaucerec...esauce.htm

I selected one recipe called "Classic BBQ Rib Sauce" here:

http://bbq.about.com/od/barbecuesaucerec...-sauce.htm

Now, here is the problem: If you check this recipe, it has a list of ingredients followed by these directions:

Blend onion and water into a puree. Heat a medium sauce pan over a medium heat. Add olive oil. When oil is warm, pour in onion puree. Simmer until slightly browned. Add remaining ingredients. Mix thoroughly and simmer for about 20 minutes.

But there is no "onion" listed in the ingredients and no "olive oil" either.

However, the ingredients do contain 3 cloves of garlic. But they are not listed anywhere in the directions.

So, that is what got me on this rant. I expected better from a big site like "about.com".

Anyway, let me finish the story. I made some guesses and some improvisations and my chicken wings turned out to be fantastic! They were the best chicken wings I ever did eat. Ever! I will now explain what I did:

I just enough olive oil to make the oil about a quarter of an inch deep in the pan. Also, I guessed they meant garlic instead of onion and so I substituted garlic for onion.

I also added about 2T of honey and 1T of prepared BBQ sauce and got it all nice and simmering. Then I added the chicken wings to the sauce and let them simmer for another 15 minutes or so. I figured the wings would absorb the sauce a lot better if I let them simmer in the pot with the sauce. It was just an experiment but it turned out great! I believe that was the very best improvisation that I made.

Smile Smile Smile

Then, I put the wings on a pan in a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes and wow! They were the best tasting wings ever! I am now so happy. I found a winning recipe and I will never again have to pay the exorbitant prices in my grocery store. I also believe I can use this method for all kinds of other cuts of chicken such as drumsticks, backs, breasts, etc. and maybe even also quarter chickens and half chickens. I will have to try those out and let you know later.

I will also never again buy wings in a restaurant because my wings tasted better than any restaurant wings I have ever eaten.

Anyway, I hope that some of you like BBQ Chicken Wings and you might like to try this recipe. It is very unusual for my experiments in cooking to work out well and I am so happy about how this one worked out. I just hope that some of you will try it and enjoy it.

P.S. I did not include any "cayenne pepper" cuz I like my wings very mild. I also added about 1t of grated fresh ginger cuz I find that usually goes very well with garlic. I used about 1 teaspoon of black pepper. But it's up to you to season the sauce however you like.
Those ingredients you mentioned are listed.

Ingredients:

2 cups ketchup
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup minced onion
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons water
3 cloves garlic crushed
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
fresh ground pepper to taste

The top 4, from ketchup to olive oil, were offset above and to the right of the others due to the picture, that's all.

Preparation:
Blend onion and water into a puree. Heat a medium sauce pan over a medium heat. Add olive oil. When oil is warm, pour in onion puree. Simmer until slightly browned. Add remaining ingredients. Mix thoroughly and simmer for about 20 minutes.

Garlic, while not specifically mentioned in the preparation instructions, would be included along with everything else in 'Add remaining ingredients', I assume.

And it does sound delicious.
that those with no rights,
display the right to have no life, to have respect they must accept
a world commiting suicide
Well hush my mouth!

Thanks ever so much Skinny. I appreciate you telling me that.

But after looking at those ingredients, I can't imagine the sauce tasting any better than it did even without them.

I forgot to mention that I also included a little fresh grated ginger.

But the honey compensated for the brown sugar.

And I'm thinking about ketchup. But ketchup is just water, sugar, vinegar and tomato paste. So, I'm thinking I might try to add more water and vinegar and tomato paste.

But why mess with perfection? These wings tasted absolutely fantastic! I don't think it would make any sense to change the recipe very much since it was perfect!

I hope you might give it a try if you like BBQ wings. Do you like BBQ wings?

I have to apologize to About.com. I mistakenly misread the list of ingredients. Very sorry. My fault.
(05-16-2013, 02:08 PM)AliShibaz Wrote: I hope you might give it a try if you like BBQ wings. Do you like BBQ wings?

I do, but if I make them I usually use a store bought sauce and make them on the grill.

Adobo Chicken is what I usually make if I am going to eat chicken though. Here is a simple recipe.

http://ivoryhut.com/2010/04/my-quick-and...ken-adobo/

Most of the time I use the chicken wing pieces, like buffalo wings, instead of full leg quarters like in the recipe. Either way is good though. You can change the amount of chili sauce and/or brown sugar to suit your own taste.
that those with no rights,
display the right to have no life, to have respect they must accept
a world commiting suicide
(05-16-2013, 03:32 PM)SkinnyP Wrote:
(05-16-2013, 02:08 PM)AliShibaz Wrote: I hope you might give it a try if you like BBQ wings. Do you like BBQ wings?

I do, but if I make them I usually use a store bought sauce and make them on the grill.

Adobo Chicken is what I usually make if I am going to eat chicken though. Here is a simple recipe.

http://ivoryhut.com/2010/04/my-quick-and...ken-adobo/

Most of the time I use the chicken wing pieces, like buffalo wings, instead of full leg quarters like in the recipe. Either way is good though. You can change the amount of chili sauce and/or brown sugar to suit your own taste.

Hmmm .... that looks really good. I'll have to give that a try. Thanks again, Skinny. Smile Smile