Current time: 03-29-2017, 04:08 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shareaza
01-21-2015, 06:55 AM (This post was last modified: 01-21-2015 07:05 AM by AliShibaz.)
Shareaza
I'm hoping this forum's title, "News & Media", includes the sharing of media and therefore includes discussions of P2P sites and the related topics of sharing files.

I'm still looking around for a good file sharing site.

I'm disappointed with following three sites for various reasons: katph.eu, Demonoid.com & extraonline.com.

I can use them if need be, but they all fall seriously short of TPB, IMHO.

I used to use Shareaza several years ago but quickly dropped it once I discovered TPB. I suppose that if asked to describe Shareaza, I would say it is shabby and it's very easy to pick up unwanted problems such as viruses and poor quality media.

I'd like to ask you all if you have much experience with this site and if you feel good about using it at present.

Last time I used it, if I recall correctly, it used an old fashioned technique where in order to share a file, the sender and receiver both had to be online and had to remain online during the entire file transfer process. Does that sound correct to you?

Do you agree that it used to be very easy to pick up vermin infested files from that site? Do you agree the admins of that site have done some work and improved on that problem?

One more question. I just tried to use Shareaza but it was a "No Go"!

Would anyone know why it will not permit me to download the Shareaza program? Apparently, I don't have the necessary permission and I don't recall any such requirement from my past.

Sigh.

Fuckers won't allow me to D/L their "host software" (I hope that is the correct name?) but they still asked me to give them some support (aka some money).

Hey Dummies!

You really think I will send you some scratch after being told I do not have permission to D/L your sharing software?

Well, guess what?

MF'ing Dumbasses! & CSuckers!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-21-2015, 12:17 PM
RE: Shareaza
Am able to download and install the client software from here: http://shareaza.sourceforge.net/

Prior to that I fetched the installer from http://www.shareaza.com
That gave me a Norton AV alert for Trojan.smnager. So I stopped that installation at Step 2.

While using the installed version, a certain 'COM surrogate' process (dllhost.exe) started using 50 % of one CPU.

Am now allergic to Shareaza.

Have uninstalled it and PC seems fine.

No idea how shareaza worked. But if it is P2P, I suppose sender and receiver have to be online to transfer files.
The only other way is for the file to be downloaded from a server like with usenet / filelockers.

With 10 days to go, TPB main page has got the old look again :-)

Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long -- Ogden Nash
01-21-2015, 03:35 PM
thread moved help requests. /mod

"Yeah. I understand the mechanics of it, shithead. I just don't understand how this is any less retarded than what I'm suggesting." - Kiley; Housebound.
01-22-2015, 05:48 AM (This post was last modified: 01-22-2015 06:46 AM by radiobox.)
PC totally messed up. Shareaza seems to have left its footprint everywhere (registry, browser preferences etc). Can't get Magnet links to work. :-(

More

Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long -- Ogden Nash
01-22-2015, 10:01 AM
Finally managed to solve it.
The relevant registry key was located in the HKU_USERS section.
Its value read Shareaza. Modified it to my torrent client's name.
Magnet links work.

HKEY_USERS\Security Identifier string\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Associations\UrlAssociations\magnet\UserChoice​

Thanks 'procmon'.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)