Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[-]
Welcome To Rant Central
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:

Password:

Seeking your opinions about IsoHunt
I would like to ask you all for any of your opinions about the site called "ISOHunt" ("http://isohunt.com").

It is a site that operates in a similar way to TPB ("http://thepiratebay.sx/"). But I have never been able to use it successfully like I have been able to use TPB. I have been using TPB for about one year now and I have had remarkably very few problems with that site.

I have been told that it operates by examining several of the best sites of its kind and then linking their most popular downloads to its own result page.

A professional computer consultant first recommended ISOHunt to me and told me it was one of the best sites of its kind. I told him that I'd like to sample some of the episodes from Downton Abbey and he said, "OK. I know just the place to go." He then went to ISOHunt and quickly and easily got several episodes of that show for me.

Well, ever since then, I have tried to get it to work for me. But I've always had problems that prevented me for using it satisfactorily. I don't think I have ever been able to satisfactorily D/L a single usable video file.

One of the biggest problems is that when I try to get a very popular show - such as Game of Thrones or Mad Men, it links me to some files that require a password and will not enable me to get the correct file to watch. For example, on this Thursday night, I tried to use the site again to get ahold of the most recent episodes of the three shows:

1) Two and a Half Men
2) Big Bang Theory
3) The Office

It listed those episodes as being available but strangely, it listed the files as being available for several days when it should have said they were uploaded just a few minutes ago. Something seems definitely wrong to me.

When I downloaded those episodes, either they would not play. Or they instructed me to go to some other site to get a password and then use that password to get the proper episode.

TPB never asks me to do any such a thing and I must say that I get the feeling this kind of runaround is some kind of scam and I never follow up on getting a password because I fear it is some kind of malware attack or something else equally nasty.

But, I am puzzled because it seems that a great number of people use this site to download and upload video files and so I just cannot understand what is going on. Am I doing something wrong? Is this site trying to scam me? Can anyone offer their opinons as to whether or not this site operates in a way that is legit? I'd surely appreciate if someone would tell me what is going on with this site and whether it is worth my while to bother with it at all.

Should I just forget about it and not bother with that site anymore? Or, am I doing something wrong that I can correct somehow?
(05-10-2013, 10:00 PM)AliShibaz Wrote: I would like to ask you all for any of your opinions about the site called "ISOHunt" ("http://isohunt.com").

first torrent site i've ever used. then i found mininova and forgot about isohunt.
then mininova died and i found tpb. i haven't used isohunt in years.

edit - since isohunt doesn't separate the good torrents from the bad ones,
i'd recommend it only to those who can tell a good torrent from a bad one
just by looking at it, which doesn't seem to be your case.
(05-10-2013, 10:47 PM)bob5695 Wrote:
(05-10-2013, 10:00 PM)AliShibaz Wrote: I would like to ask you all for any of your opinions about the site called "ISOHunt" ("http://isohunt.com").

first torrent site i've ever used. then i found mininova and forgot about isohunt.
then mininova died and i found tpb. i haven't used isohunt in years.

edit - since isohunt doesn't separate the good torrents from the bad ones,

Sad. But true.

I thank you for your honesty. As usual, you are right on the money, Bob.
one thing you can do to check if a torrent is good is:

copy the hash,
paste it on google search,
see whether the results include reputable torrent sites or only shady torrent sites.
usually there are comments on a torrent,check those,they usually tell you if it's a fake
consistency is the hobdob
of small minds[
(05-10-2013, 10:47 PM)bob5695 Wrote: since isohunt doesn't separate the good torrents from the bad ones,

Say Bob,

I would greatly appreciate if you could please give me a few pointers of things to look for so that I could tell which files looked "good" and which looked "bad".

I think a few tips from you on this subject would go a long way to help anyone be able to pick the good files and leave the bad ones.

Thanks Bob.

(05-10-2013, 11:01 PM)bob5695 Wrote: one thing you can do to check if a torrent is good is:

copy the hash,
paste it on google search,
see whether the results include reputable torrent sites or only shady torrent sites.

OK. This sounds real good.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to find the hash.

I know that a hash is a way to take a lot of information and reduce it to a single number that is very unlikely to duplicate the same number as another hash.

But I have no idea how that relates to ISOHunt.

Where can I find the hash for a particular video file on ISOHunt?

I only know of a few reputable torrent sites - such as TPB and I suppose I can Google "reputable torrent sites" to find a list of others. But I'm thinking the first step for me would be to understand how to get ahold of the hash number for a video file on ISOHunt.

I went to the ISOHunt site and I did not see anything that looked like a Hash Number when I searced for a list of video files.

I right-clicked on the top of the columns to see if I could select a column that was called "Hash Number" or something like that. But all I saw were:

1) View Page Source
2) Select Element
3) View Page Info

Will any of those lead me to the Hash?
I clicked on an individual Video File and it allowed me to examine the Comments (Thank you Sri).

But I did not see anything that looked like a Hash there.

Although I did see several comments that said certain files were "real" whereas others were bogus.

But, I still would like to follow up on Bob's suggestion to get the Hash.
[Image: OPBeaXO.jpg]
Oh! Thank you ever so much Bob!

It was hard for me to see that because the printing was so faint.
I don't like the site; too many dead links.

I do admire the eire of the owner for having balls to stand against the MAFIAA.
This message has been brought to you by RobertX.