Current time: 03-27-2017, 03:36 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scary Movies
09-14-2015, 09:52 AM
Scary Movies
Just a quick statement:

Am I the only one who noticed that the cheesy, corn filled crap of yesteryear had the scarient films of ALL time?

Do you think it was the era or our ages when we watched them?

I couldn't sleep for a day and a half after watching Friday the 13th. Now I watch it and think it should be re-genre'd as a comedy (did I just make up a new word?? Re-genre'd???) Like Halloween, and the like... Nightmare on Elm street gave me the empty pain in the stomach feeling due to the suspense.

The Scary movies of today are not scary at all, Is it because the old films of yesteryear taught us when the scary parts were coming?

I GUARANTEE that if a movie from today came out back when the cheese was out. (even a movie like white noise or the 6th sense), with the upgrade of special effects and plots, I, (like many other Americans) would be either dead or in a shell shocked fear coma...

The Idea for this thread came from reading @Spud17 's comment about Poltergeist... That I admit the original wasn't really that cheesy, since plots to do with the afterlife always scared me. , but she says the remake was worse... But I wonder if I wastch the remake, will I think "This is bad, but if it was released way back when, would it be able to stand as acceptable horror???

What do you think. The only good scary movies IMHO are the ones that get your mind to wander after the fact "could this really happen???"
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-14-2015, 10:57 AM
RE: Scary Movies
(09-14-2015 09:52 AM)LZA Wrote:  but she says the remake was worse...

Erm, no I didn't.

I said:

Spud17 Wrote:I watched Poltergeist (2015). I figured if Sam Rockwell is in it, it can't be a stinker, and I was right. It's predictable obviously, to a point, but I was hooked from start to finish despite knowing what was going to happen. If anyone else is going to watch this movie, I'd recommend you get a good quality copy, like the 1080 yify torrent that I watched. Yay

The fact that I said I was hooked from start to finish, and gave it a thumbs up should indicate to any reader that I approved of it.

Back on topic, I disagree with you. A good horror film is not limited to any era. Every decade has produced excellent horrors and will continue to do so.

You mentioned Friday the 13th (1980), but what about films from the 1990s such as Silence of the Lambs (1991), Candyman (1992), and Ring (1998)? The 2000s gave us Saw (2004), Orphan (2009), and The Human Centipede (2009). The first 5 years of the 2010s has given us decent horror films such as Insidious (2010), V/H/S (2012), and I'm sure there'll be more.

Maybe the horror films you watched as a kid scared you so much, because you were a kid?

"everyone wants to win but no one wants to drink a bucket of sj's piss" - bob5695
09-14-2015, 11:48 AM
Erm, ya, ya ok my mistake. But your description made me believe it would be a stinker, since you said predictable obviously ( most remakes are, which is why I have remakes of scary movies).

The only movie I agree with you on is Silence of the lambs.. Saw was just ridiculous.

Oh, The Blair Which Project was also good, But that was good scary, not saw or Friday the 13th scary.

Ermmm. Maybe I should clarify my statement it just include slasher movies... Those are cheese... Silence if the Lambs can never be cheese in my book.
09-14-2015, 06:09 PM
Coincidentally, I just watched Poltergeist (1982) Sunday night. I thought I had seen it before, but when I began watching it I didn't remember anything about it.

To be honest, I found it really slow and more weird than scary. In fact, I didn't even finish watching it.

As far as the debate over whether older movies are still scary, you really shouldn't comment unless you have put some time in with the classic horror films like the original 'Living Dead' movies. Sure a lot are black and white and some of them have poor acting but the concepts they introduced (at least to the mainstream) are timeless and instrumental to the creation of hundreds of great films created later on the same basis.

When I first watched Children of the Corn (1984) I was four or five years old and yes, it scared the living shit out of me, but even now as an adult, that is still one well-done horror film. I'll never get the line, "He wants you too Malachi!", out of my mind Confused

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-15-2015, 10:26 AM
(09-14-2015 06:09 PM)Wildcard Wrote:  Coincidentally, I just watched Poltergeist (1982) Sunday night. I thought I had seen it before, but when I began watching it I didn't remember anything about it.

To be honest, I found it really slow and more weird than scary. In fact, I didn't even finish watching it.

As far as the debate over whether older movies are still scary, you really shouldn't comment unless you have put some time in with the classic horror films like the original 'Living Dead' movies. Sure a lot are black and white and some of them have poor acting but the concepts they introduced (at least to the mainstream) are timeless and instrumental to the creation of hundreds of great films created later on the same basis.

When I first watched Children of the Corn (1984) I was four or five years old and yes, it scared the living shit out of me, but even now as an adult, that is still one well-done horror film. I'll never get the line, "He wants you too Malachi!", out of my mind Confused

I agree, Children of the Corn still creeps me out...It's just....out there...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Any Good Movies Or TV Shows? Gustavo Woltamnn 5 457 01-12-2017 05:30 PM
Last Post: Togachu
  Most over-rated "lead" actors that appear in movies. AliShibaz 11 3,675 06-16-2014 03:51 PM
Last Post: Wildcard
  Movies That Suck Mark 46 8,206 03-27-2014 08:45 PM
Last Post: AliShibaz

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)